U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

8,936 posts, read 7,292,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown Gal View Post
What a kick this thread has been! LOL!! If you don't like it here, then MOVE.....problem solved!
Easier said than done. It's expensive to move, and even harder to find a job in a new city where you don't know anyone. Add to that a low-paying job, a house that would need to be sold, and the fact that this is not the best time to give up a stable job (even if the pay is low), and you have a recipe for more or less being stuck in one place for a while, no matter how badly you want to move. I'd love to move, but I'd rather not have to live in a homeless shelter when I do.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 17,531 times
Watertown, you saw the title of the thread, why are you surprised at the responses people give? Besides which, I think of few of us (including the OP and me) have already stated we're only here temporarily because of jobs and/or school. So thanks for your witty retort that I've read 900 other times on other threads about other cities.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM

638 posts, read 792,194 times
I agree with both sides of the issue. I am from Nashville and there are many things about it that I do not like, however, lots of things I do like. What I do not like, and what I think has changed the city, are all the people who have moved here from other areas that have been here less than 10 years and think they know everything everything about Nashville, history, weather, communities, etc. and have completlely wiped out the original culture of the city. Example, those who have moved from out of state and have settled in Hendersonville, Franklin, or Brentwood tend to think they are in Nashville and that nothing else exist in the Nashville area outside of their communities. Really earks the mess out of me.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 17,531 times
I will agree with Antioch. I've met very few people, if any, that are from Nashville. I've flipped through some historic books about Nashville and thought to myself 'now that's kinda how I imagined it would be and how I would have liked it'. Being from Syracuse, I would love some fresh blood/ideas/personalities to come into our city, but I would hate it if they took over and totally changed the culture that I grew up in.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM

638 posts, read 792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siz33 View Post
I will agree with Antioch. I've met very few people, if any, that are from Nashville. I've flipped through some historic books about Nashville and thought to myself 'now that's kinda how I imagined it would be and how I would have liked it'. Being from Syracuse, I would love some fresh blood/ideas/personalities to come into our city, but I would hate it if they took over and totally changed the culture that I grew up in.
Exactally...About a month ago I put a post on here titled Nashville of the past/ Memories, which listed all lots of memories of how Nashville used to be, just as recent as 10 years ago. Several native Nashvllians posted on there several comments about how much things have changed here. But as stated above, I too welcome fresh blood/ideas/personalities, but I hate it when newcommers come a here try and completly take over as if a culture never existed here.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM

636 posts, read 909,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I agree with both sides of the issue. I am from Nashville and there are many things about it that I do not like, however, lots of things I do like. What I do not like, and what I think has changed the city, are all the people who have moved here from other areas that have been here less than 10 years and think they know everything everything about Nashville, history, weather, communities, etc. and have completlely wiped out the original culture of the city. Example, those who have moved from out of state and have settled in Hendersonville, Franklin, or Brentwood tend to think they are in Nashville and that nothing else exist in the Nashville area outside of their communities. Really earks the mess out of me.

I agree.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,186,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown Gal View Post
What a kick this thread has been! LOL!! If you don't like it here, then MOVE.....problem solved!
As someone who is researching a move to Nashville, I am very grateful for these types of threads. Before I make such a big move, I would like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly. I weigh each response very carefully and appreciate when the poster names their place of origin because that helps me to understand their perspective for their opinion. For example, if someone complains that the summers are too hot and humid and that they come from Chicago or Seattle I can understand their displeasure. However, their negative for me is actually a postive because it can't be hot enough for me for comfort. On my next scouting trip, my intention is to give myself a tour of as many sketchy, seedy, and high crime areas as possible. I think anyone considering a move to a new city should do this. I want to see how it is for myself based on what my experience has been with these types of areas. I hope that more people will post their "complaints."

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 2,057,234 times
A lot depends on what you're expecting in the move. Oftentimes, I believe we expect too much when we move to a new location. I have lived in four different states (WA, CA, UT, NY) and have really only felt somewhat at home in one (UT). That's because I prefer living in the country. Everywhere else, I have lived in or near a big city. That being said, when my wife and I visited middle TN, we felt very much at home...we had a very strong sense that this is where we belong one day. When we do move, we will come with the hope of simply settling in and blending in with the long time locals. We want to live a quiet life and enjoy everything the area has to offer without any comparisons to what we have experienced in the past. For those who do not like middle TN, then I hope you do one day find the right place for you to settle as it is out there somewhere!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 PM

957 posts, read 2,383,530 times
The only place I can honestly say I hated was Delaware. The only place I really loved was Raleigh, NC...That was back in the mid 80's though. I like Nashville because it's close to everything, cost of living is decent, real estate isn't too bad, people are friendly and it's centrally located for doing business in other parts of the country.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

66 posts, read 84,211 times
Default Summer heat may be your biggest beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
The summers are flat out awful. Again, no surprise. We moved down here for a job, and honestly, I thought I could handle the summer heat better. But it is just so miserable.
Not sure, never been to Nashville! But I moved away from Florida because of the oppressive heat. That alone was enough to make me hate it there. Perhaps try Denver? Seems like it may compare to Nashville feel with better weather in the summer - and more museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville