Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,725 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

My husband and I will be moving to Nashville next year, and I wanted to get some insider information on places to live, culture etc. We'll be relocating from Washington, DC, and both like the amenities of city life but with more of a suburban feel. He'll be starting a fellowship at Vanderbilt, so any locations close to the University would be great! Also, are there any Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's close by?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:28 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
I'd probably suggest looking about in what the real estate people call Area 2. This is around Vandy and to the west and southwest. There's a variety of nice suburban areas within that zone . . . from Slyvan Park, Green Hills, Hillwood, West Meade, Belle Meade (Where Al Gore lives), Bellevue, and others.

Are you buying or renting?

There is a Whole Foods Market. I don't think there's a Trader Joe's.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,725 times
Thx for the quick reply! We're thinking about renting, as we're only going to be there for 2 years (as of right now ). We thought about buying, but I'm not sure if it would be wise investment for such a short period of time. The housing market in DC is really hot, but we weren't sure about Nashville. Any thoughts?

We're both in our late 20's and we want to live in an area that has good restaurants, entertainment, and diversity. Thanks again for the info!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
The areas around Vandy, 21st Avenue, West End, and Green Hills should suit you. There's upscale restaurants, large parks, the Frist Art Center, Cheekwood, etc. Then there's things downtown like the Nashville Symphony, TPAC (the Tennessee Performing Arts Center), county music stuff, clubs, the Hard Rock Cafe, etc. And if the areas closer in don't have the suburban feel you're looking for, you can go out a little further. The commute into the Vandy area still isnt bad.

Of course, Nashville isn't Chicago or New York or Atlanta, so there's not quite the variety of choices here that someone has in those places. There are a lot of natural areas and lakes within a short driving distance of Nashville; some of those are really pretty.

Last edited by alleycat; 06-15-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 26,883 times
If you like open drug trafficing, prostitution, shootings and burglaries than Nashville is the place for you.

Very dangerous city to live in, might want to relocate to a safer city.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
Hi Crack City-

I honestly am sorry you've had what must be a miserable time in Nashville. You are obviously extremely unhappy here, and no one wants a move to go so badly. I hope things turn up for you.

That said, I have to wonder why you chose to hijack so many threads with the same complaints about Nashville. I work in nashville and have never experienced any of what you describe. Everyone vents, to be sure, but folks come here for honest info and I doubt your repeated rants give them what they need.

Hopefully you find a home where you feel safer and happier.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,052 times
Meg28,
Trader Joe's is one of the things I am going to miss most when I move from Chicago to Nashville. I filled out the form on their web site asking them to open a location in Nashville. maybe if enough people request it they'll do it...

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Default What "kind"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg28 View Post
Thx for the quick reply! We're thinking about renting, as we're only going to be there for 2 years (as of right now ). We thought about buying, but I'm not sure if it would be wise investment for such a short period of time. The housing market in DC is really hot, but we weren't sure about Nashville. Any thoughts?

We're both in our late 20's and we want to live in an area that has good restaurants, entertainment, and diversity.???? Thanks again for the info!
"Diversity are you seeking?? More specific please

Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 33,541 times
Meg28-
I just moved back to Washington, DC after living in Nashville for 8 years. Be prepared for a very different lifestyle and culture. There's good and bad to it all. Nashville is a beautiful, medium sized town with a nice atmosphere. It doesn't have much culture or diversity if you compare it to DC but it's trying to expand itself. Standard of living is great there and the political hype of the DC area just doesn't exist (which can be nice). For me, I struggled most with the strong religious prescence. It became overbearing and I felt that because I didn't go to church, I was looked down on. It may be different for you. good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,313 times
Just had client's move from the Alexandria, VA area and they love it. As Meg28 said, the diversity probably isn't as wide spread as it is there but for a Tier 2 city we are coming along nicely.

Check out this link from Kiplinger:
#1 Nashville, Tenn. - Kiplinger.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville