Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:19 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

I fear that they are never going to be able to stop this leak from gushing. It's like trying to put a cork in Mt. Pinatubo before it exploded in 1991---the pressure from the earth is just too great to be stopped by anything man can devise. So when all that oil empties several years from now there will be a gigantic empty space beneath the Gulf, perhaps like a Super Grand Canyon. Is it possible that those trillions (?) of tons of water resting on a thin sea floor could just crack the floor and cause a large portion of the Gulf to pour into this enormous cavern in the earth? I just ask, "Is it possible?" and if it is, what would be the ramifications of that much water pouring into this gigantic "hole"?

http://pierrejoris.com/blog/?p=3867

Last edited by thrillobyte; 06-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 AM

185 posts, read 404,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I fear that they are never going to be able to stop this leak from gushing.
The flow will be stopped when the relief well intersects the original well bore. It is a fairly routine procedure that used all the time to kill wells. It is just that we don't hear about it, because unlike this well, the BOP operated as designed, and there is no blowout.

Quote:
It's like trying to put a cork in Mt. Pinatubo before it exploded in 1991---the pressure from the earth is just too great to be stopped by anything man can devise.
No, it is not like Pinatubo at all. If it were, there would be/would have been massive leaks from formations in the geologic past so that there would be no oil left, today.

I think that your mistaken ideal is from a lack of knowledge about geology and petroleum extraction.

Think about it... if your ideal were true, no well could drilled-they would all blowout when the bit reached the producing formation. It is the hydrostatic pressure of the drilling mud that prevents the oil from rushing up through the well bore when the formation is reached.

This blowout occurred because the cement seal on the final string of casement was compromised. When the crew started replacing the drilling mud with water, the hydrostatic pressure in the well bore was less that the formation pressure and formation fluids escaped up the annulus(the between the production string and the casement).

Quote:
So when all that oil empties several years from now there will be a gigantic empty space beneath the Gulf, perhaps like a Super Grand Canyon.
Once again, I don't think that you understand the geology. Oil doesn't come from vast caverns beneath the ground, it is trapped in the interstitial pore spaces in clastic sediments and vugs/cracks in carbonates. Too, the rock has to be permeable. If a formation is porous, but has no permeability, it won't produce unless the rock is fractured/dissolved using mechanical/chemical methods.

Quote:
Is it possible that those trillions (?) of tons of water resting on a thin sea floor could just crack the floor and cause a large portion of the Gulf to pour into this enormous cavern in the earth? I just ask, "Is it possible?" and if it is, what would be the ramifications of that much water pouring into this gigantic "hole"?
No, it is not possible.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Thanks for the clarification, sman. You obviously have some knowledge of how all this works.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
The flow will be stopped when the relief well intersects the original well bore. It is a fairly routine procedure that used all the time to kill wells. It is just that we don't hear about it, because unlike this well, the BOP operated as designed, and there is no blowout.

No, it is not like Pinatubo at all. If it were, there would be/would have been massive leaks from formations in the geologic past so that there would be no oil left, today.

I think that your mistaken ideal is from a lack of knowledge about geology and petroleum extraction.

Think about it... if your ideal were true, no well could drilled-they would all blowout when the bit reached the producing formation. It is the hydrostatic pressure of the drilling mud that prevents the oil from rushing up through the well bore when the formation is reached.

This blowout occurred because the cement seal on the final string of casement was compromised. When the crew started replacing the drilling mud with water, the hydrostatic pressure in the well bore was less that the formation pressure and formation fluids escaped up the annulus(the between the production string and the casement).

Once again, I don't think that you understand the geology. Oil doesn't come from vast caverns beneath the ground, it is trapped in the interstitial pore spaces in clastic sediments and vugs/cracks in carbonates. Too, the rock has to be permeable. If a formation is porous, but has no permeability, it won't produce unless the rock is fractured/dissolved using mechanical/chemical methods.

No, it is not possible.

This doesn't look to good for the gulf floor. Watch the video and tell me what you think.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2010/06/13/bp-gulf-oil-spill-seafloor-oil-gas-leak-videos-photos/ (broken link)

busta

Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM

People, a lot more knowledgeable than I, have concluded that oil isn't leaking through cracks in the floor. I accept their conclusions. Though, the top kill was a dangerous operation that could have led to failure in the upper strings of casement-that is why it was stopped. But even if there is failure, it is in the top of the string, and the mud weight for the bottom kill can be calculated to account for this possibility. They can make the mud so heavy that it will effectively kill the well before it reaches the upper casement.

It will be complicated, and they will loose mud to the formation due to erosion, but I don't think that the problems are insurmountable... regardless of what the doomsdayers are saying.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
It's not like the oil was going to stay there, they were drilling so they could suck it all out, for a profit.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 25,949 times
guess the conclusion is it can't happen, although it would be interesting if the bed crashed and we had a giant oil tsunami on the shore

Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 AM

Though, more interesting would be if Cthulu sucked out all of our brains.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I thought that sea water and/or heavy mud is used to fill the caverns to keep them from collapsing. I'm assuming someone out there has already addressed this and it is being taken care of.
Geeze....who knows???

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, sman. You obviously have some knowledge of how all this works.

Think about it another way...IF there were a cavern that would mean that the oil is being pushed out of the "crack" due to the pressure of all the sea water above it. This means that the cavern roof would collapse at a rate relative to the rate of oil escaping from it. Like squeezing a tube of toothpaste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature