Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Now to answer CrusherCountry: Yes compasses would be out of whack (even more than they already are, as the north magnetic pole and the north geographic pole are not currently coincident). The planet may or may not change orientation. It would depend on the shift in weight of the molten ferrous mass in our earth's interior. The actual magnetic field itself would not cause a change in orientation.

I'm not too familiar with how animals use the magnetic field for migration, but I'd imagine as long as the magnetic field changes over many generations, animals would be able to adapt (Instead of flying due north magnetically, they could fly at some angle relative to due north.) Weather would be unaffected, but the magnetic shield that protects us from solar radiation would be off kilter (the Northern Lights would be repositioned and radiation reaching the surface of earth would be affected). The tides would be unaffected unless there is a weight shift or unless that weight shift changes the precession angle of the earths axis. Tides are formed by the pull of gravity of the moon, so any change in the orientation of the earth relative to the moon would change the tides.

And 2012 has nothing to do with the magnetic poles shifting. (Unless the ancient Mayans knew something that modern scientists don't.)
I'm not sure what you mean by orientation??????

Actually we are still relatively clueless as to the reasons for a pole reversal and they probably occur slowly but it may happen abruptly on a geologic timescale. North may become what is currently South(Magnetically); so I think that would have a major affect on wildlife and their migrations...it's like flipping a magnet over without telling everyone.

Our real concern would be the subsequent collapse of the Earth's protective magnetic field and how long it would take to stabilize at current field strengths at the new magnetic pole positions......if this takes place on a geologic timescale our atmosphere and all life on Earth are at risk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I think the OP means a complete pole reversal and not a few degrees of pole wandering.....though I may have misinterpreted his meaning?
Agreed. The OP is referring to what is called "geomagnetic reversal" in connection with 2012. Sometimes people incorrectly use the term "pole reversal", which is a whole different thing.

2012 phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Agreed. The OP is referring to what is called "geomagnetic reversal" in connection with 2012. Sometimes people incorrectly use the term "pole reversal", which is a whole different thing.

2012 phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm using pole reversal to mean a magnetic pole reversal......perhaps causing the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

My research shows the terms are interchangeable...I think the semantics is confusing all of us but I agree...I thought the OP meant a complete Magnetic pole reversal......when I search pole reversal...my browser directs me to geomagnetic pole reversal?????

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
I'm using pole reversal to mean a magnetic pole reversal......perhaps causing the confusion.

Geomagnetic reversal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My research shows the terms are interchangeable...I think the semantics is confusing all of us but I agree...I thought the OP meant a complete Magnetic pole reversal......when I search pole reversal...my browser directs me to geomagnetic pole reversal?????
I understand, and that's what I thought the OP meant as well. However, because the year 2012 was included in the OP, (which is what caught my attention), that seemed to put it into a much different frame of perspective. Otherwise, why bother to include it? The 2012 date is more connected to views involving the Mayan Calendar, Nibiru, galactic alignment, planetary conjunction, black holes, ufos, solar maximum, etc., including various doomsday scenarios, as interpreted by New Age thinking. Admittedly, the OP did indicate "pole reversal" and "2012" as a big IF.

In any case, such a swap of magnetic polar positions would not likely have much effect, if any, on life in general on the planet since it's clear that both humans and animals seem to have managed to survive geomagnetic reversals in the past.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
If the poles shift I'll be a yankee........... damn

Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I'm a'skeered!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by orientation??????
The OP introduced the term. I presume he/she meant the tilt or precession of the earth's north south rotational axis.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The magnetic north pole is not the north pole at all. I don't know where it is now (all the flying I do uses gps) but when I started in the early 70's the magnetic north pole was actually in the middle of the Hudson Bay. The magnetic north pole is always moving.
[/url]
Yeah i remember when i was on helmsman watch up on the bridge that our magnetic compass was always about 2 to 3 degrees different than our gyro compass to which we always used the gyro to steer on true course.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Here's a map showing Magnetic Variation (the difference between True and Magnetic North).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8/Mv-world.jpg

You'll need to magnify it by 400% (lower right hand corner of screen).

Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The magnetic north pole is not the north pole at all. I don't know where it is now (all the flying I do uses gps) but when I started in the early 70's the magnetic north pole was actually in the middle of the Hudson Bay. The magnetic north pole is always moving.

Magnetic declination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airport runways are numbered to the nearest 10 degrees. Runway 24 indicates the runway is running 240 degrees (magnetic) so you can use your magnetic company to line up on the proper runway.

Runway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Depending on how drastic of a polar shift, pilots may have to start using VFR, and not rely on the ILS, until all the latitude, and the logitude GPS coordinates are reprogrammed into the many systems used by pilots. Of course with a drastic shift of the poles, the earth will also experience drastic climate changes, where you could see snow storms in Phoenix, in the middle of July, and 110 degrees in January, in Anchorage, Alaska. It could even cause other catastrophic conditions, so aviation would be the least of our worries.

Personally, I don't think anything will happen on December 21st, 2012. It would take a very large astroid or another planetary body to cause a sudden and a drastic shift of the poler regions.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 01-24-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature