Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

If scientists don't understand why glaciers melt why should we believe them when it comes to all their other global warming claims?

Quote:
Some Greenland glaciers run slower in warm summers than cooler ones, meaning the icecap may be more resistant to warming than previously thought.
BBC News - Greenland glaciers spring surprise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If scientists don't understand why glaciers melt why should we believe them when it comes to all their other global warming claims?

BBC News - Greenland glaciers spring surprise
Scientists don't understand alot of things...does that mean that everything science has come to understand is now suspect because of this? That's basically what you are saying.

BTW, if you read the actual article, the authors hypothesized that warmer summers increase melt-off so much that it runs off in channels instead of remaining under the glacier to lubricate its movement over rock. Hence slower moving glaciers. But then you wouldn't have been able to make your pithy little comment about scientist not being able to figure out how ice melts, right?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
I am talking about global warming scientists, not scientists in general....

This is the expert scientist's comment, did you miss it bb???

Quote:
But in the warmest years, the acceleration stalled early in the season; in relatively cool summers, it did not.
Thank you, you proved my point....

"hypothesized" That's all global warming is, no proof, just some scientists with theories based on computer projections.

This is just another nail in the coffin for the global warming fanatics.......

Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:

"hypothesized" That's all global warming is, no proof, just some scientists with theories based on computer projections.

IF you posted in a more RESPECTFUL manner I would answer your concern; but when you use the word "fanatic" to describe Global Warming, which is a proven scientific theory, you betray that your mind is CLOSED and you actually think one facet of the theory.....where the rate of one parameter may be wrong, then disproves the entire theory.

IF you truly understood the Scientific Method then you would realize few theories stay static but evolve and are refined as we collect more data and increase our knowledge base.

I majored in Earth Science/Geography at The Pennsylvania State University....unless you have similar credentials IMHO....I think I understand science and Global Warming better than you do.

The rate you speak of was in the past; recent observations suggest that the rate of glacial melt is in fact accelerating!

Retreat of glaciers since 1850 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earlier glacial melt rate revised downward, but recent melt is accelerating dramatically

World's glaciers melting at accelerated pace, leading scientists say | Environment | guardian.co.uk

http://gop.science.house.gov/Media/h...ov17/Alley.pdf

Climate Change: The Next Generation: Richard Alley: ice sheets shrinking 100 years ahead of schedule. Oceanographer, Doug Martinson, at AGU: Western Antarctic Peninsula is seeing "the highest increase in temperatures of anywhere on Earth." Deep ocean

Greenland ice sheet faces 'tipping point in 10 years' | Environment | The Guardian

Earth's glaciers melting at an accelerated rate - physicsworld.com

Penn State Live - Richard Alley

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Ouch! Damn that has to be embarrassing!!!! I can't rep you yet.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:

This isn't the politics forum, you are going to have a work a little harder over here in the Science and Technology forum.

So glaciers actually melt slower in warm summers than cold ones. This is indeed an interesting finding, but how exactly is this evidence against the theory of global warming? Please explain. In light of this finding, how does it mean that ALL global warming scientists are now wrong about the ENTIRE theory of global warming?

BTW, global warming is a theory not a hypothesis as you stated in your last post. You might want to look up their definitions of these words before using them.

If you are interested in discussing/debating global warming per se, lets have at it! Have you even looked at the data? I have. Or do you just accept what Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck tell you about it, that its all a big fabrication by global warming scientists?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Ruh ro! Gauntlet thrown. Shall we see an intelligent response or will the Dark Knight be vanquished in a mere six posts!

{Making popcorn}

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ruh ro! Gauntlet thrown. Shall we see an intelligent response or will the Dark Knight be vanquished in a mere six posts!

{Making popcorn}
ROFLMFAO......I think 6 outta do it!

Here's a really cool link from NASA>>>>>
Global Ice Viewer

Well worth checking out!!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I think a much better discussion is one based around what causes global warming, not one that centers on whether or not it is happening. The theory of global warming is quite solid. The various hypotheses surrounding what is causing it is where all the interesting arguments lie.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think a much better discussion is one based around what causes global warming, not one that centers on whether or not it is happening. The theory of global warming is quite solid. The various hypotheses surrounding what is causing it is where all the interesting arguments lie.
Agreed. Although the only viable hypothesis at this point is that man-made increases in carbon dioxide are causing increased global temperatures. Until another via hypothesis is posited...we have to work under the assumption that this is the putative cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature