Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Does she live in Sedona (90 miles north of Phoenix)? That picture looks like it was taken there.
She lives in Peoria. She said they went on a road trip over by the Grand Canyon & took some pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,331 times
This Thread is right up my alley! I love this kind of stuff!!! Thanx!

There's been what I believe to be a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk scouting my neighborhood this week. I keep a ton of bird feeders, so he's been in my next-door neighbor's dead tree, watching...

Speaking of my ton of bird feeders, living near the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, I've had almost 50 species of birds at my feeders, and that's not really all that many considering the area's potential. Another note: I have to lock them up at night or I get "bandits" on my deck. They're quite brazen around here. This morning a Blue Jay was looking in the house and yelling at me because I hadn't gotten the feeders out yet!

One night I had a young Possum on my deck, but the dog gave him a terrible fright, even from inside the house, and he never came back.

I have a large plastic dish in my yard that I fill with water and water plants. Every year I get a Green Frog.

Here's a few photos. The Hawk is on a telephone pole, guarding his catch: a baby squirrel. In the pond, to the right there's a stick. The frog is on the rim of the dish next to the stick. If you look closely at the photo of the feeders, you'll see a Gray Catbird on the suet cake on the left, a Downy Woodpecker on the one in the middle, and a female Red-bellied Woodpecker on the cake on the right. Truly a special moment!
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-on_a_pole_opt.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-froggie_opt.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-three_species_opt.jpg  

Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Patscats you are not the only one in that Indiana area with great nature sightings.....

I see the frog! Love frogs and reptiles. On my deck: a tiny green tree frog....little bitty thing.

Thanks for posting....all your area wildlife must love your surroundings

gbh

Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
I see lizards coming down the palm tree out my window daring the cats to chase them back up.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I see lizards coming down the palm tree out my window daring the cats to chase them back up.
Our cats (DD's actually) leave no survivors! All my lizards and the poor birds are being decimated.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM

As the drought continues there are more and more gators on high ground.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Seen today:

Carolina anole/emerald-green lizard, 6-7 inches long. Male showed off bright pink throat fan (courting or defending)....I like it when males show off

Five-lined skink: a lizard with dark body and 5 light stripes; juvenile has bright blue tail!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Taken at Bok Tower Gardens and Sanctuary

Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,331 times
Today the male Rose-breasted Grosbeak has made an appearance, the male Brown-headed Cowbirds are displaying, Blue Jays are hitting the Woodpecker cake, and the Red-bellied Woodpecker who has adopted my gutters as his territorial hammering drum woke me up again this morning!

Only one Hummingbird sighting since I put the feeders out, and planted Salvia to attract them. Back in late May!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Male RB grosbeak is one of my favorites-he is v-e-r-y handsome! LOL, no sleep for you w/RB woodpecker

How many hummers do you usually have in your area?

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Today the male Rose-breasted Grosbeak has made an appearance, the male Brown-headed Cowbirds are displaying, Blue Jays are hitting the Woodpecker cake, and the Red-bellied Woodpecker who has adopted my gutters as his territorial hammering drum woke me up again this morning!

Only one Hummingbird sighting since I put the feeders out, and planted Salvia to attract them. Back in late May!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature