Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

v-e-r-y nice

56 deer would be a record for me.... Lucky you

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Went up to my hometown this afternoon for a quick visit and to take care of some things. The road home was an 118 mile stretch.....I saw 56 deer. Was too busy playing ******* (edit: REALLY? They bleeped that out. ugh. Frog--ger....the game? sheesh) with the little buggers to even think about getting a picture of any of them, but OOFTA! At least when there's snow on the ground they don't blend in so well. Also managed to NOT hit the two partridge that were apparently on a suicide mission. They really are dumb birds.

So no wildlife shots tonight, but here's a sample of what I was seeing on the way up there. I think I should stay home until the leaves drop from the trees- I'm entirely too easily distracted by pretty colors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM

I agree Dee, this is a wonderful time onf yr for being outdoors....we plan to do the same. Will be down to 55 or so tonight, which is a odd cold snap for this area, so...blankets and snuggling and then sitting on the deck in the early am with that steaming coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Frost on the windshield this morning (27F) this morning when I left for my commute. It was almost an ethereal ride. Through the sun and distance, I could see fog lifting over the fields and trees. This really is the nicest time of year to drive to work. We're supposed to have a nice weekend. I plan to spend some of it outdoors.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:39 PM

560 posts, read 849,367 times
It's been pretty quiet on the ole homestead. A couple of screech owls and watching the tomatoes NOT ripen.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I observed a a small lizard land on my shoulder and run down my back yesterday evening when I stepped onto the back porch. If that wasn't exciting enough though it seemed to be gone, it somehow hitched a ride inside. A few minutes later the cats were intently following something on the kitchen floor. It was one desperate lizard. Caught it, took him out and put him on tree limb. Adios amigo.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Hate it when that happens.....re tomato non-ripening. It has been said that if cool weather has begun, pick them, even green, and place between newspapers in a cool spot ie basement etc. Eventually they will turn....so "they" say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
It's been pretty quiet on the ole homestead. A couple of screech owls and watching the tomatoes NOT ripen.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Another rescued animal... I had a lizard incident too yesterday. Brought a large fern inside and as soon as the door was shut, a green anole jumped out and the chase was on....

I placed him outside as well.

Have a pleasant weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I observed a a small lizard land on my shoulder and run down my back yesterday evening when I stepped onto the back porch. If that wasn't exciting enough though it seemed to be gone, it somehow hitched a ride inside. A few minutes later the cats were intently following something on the kitchen floor. It was one desperate lizard. Caught it, took him out and put him on tree limb. Adios amigo.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
I had heard that eagles have been seen in my area........I saw one today!!!! I saw him 3 different times as did Hubby. What a sight. I tried to get a picture with my cell phone but he was more than a little camera shy

Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
here's a shot i took last weekend- those bits of color at the top of the rock are other climbers at seneca rocks, west virginia:

they were at the far right-hand edge of the rock formation you can see here, while we were near the center:
Awesome shot, uggabugga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
LOL, I can picture that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Another rescued animal... I had a lizard incident too yesterday. Brought a large fern inside and as soon as the door was shut, a green anole jumped out and the chase was on....

I placed him outside as well.

Have a pleasant weekend
Two lizard heros!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hate it when that happens.....re tomato non-ripening. It has been said that if cool weather has begun, pick them, even green, and place between newspapers in a cool spot ie basement etc. Eventually they will turn....so "they" say!
Well, I'm happy to report that I've actually done this and it does work. I wrapped the tomatoes in the newspaper and gently packed them into boxes. I got smart the 2nd time and used several boxes, separating the 'maters into varying stages of ripeness, then kept the boxes in a cool spot like a basement. You can keep them up to several months, depending on how ripe they were to begin with and how cool your spot is. No, they'll not be like you picked them red and juicy off the vine, but they're still lightyears away from the mushy cardboard they sell at the grocery store. One year, up north, we had fresh tomatoes in January.

Be sure to check on them every so often - like weekly. Best of luck!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Larksong, you're very lucky. They're beautiful, aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature