Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM

54,470 posts, read 33,753,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I see lizards coming down the palm tree out my window daring the cats to chase them back up.
I hope your cats won't dare those very large lizards that live in the swamps in that region of the country, the ones we call Alligators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM

54,470 posts, read 33,753,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
She lives in Peoria. She said they went on a road trip over by the Grand Canyon & took some pics.
She might have taken the picture you posted earlier around Sedona.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM

52,222 posts, read 33,917,037 times
a box turtle laying eggs in my back yard last summer:

Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,187,691 times
How neat to have a turtle laying eggs in your yard!

This morning, on my walk, I happened to look out onto the "lake" to see a cormorand (sorry if I misspelled it) come up out of the water with a small fish stuck on its beak. He shook his head, the fish flipped up in the air and he caught it in his mouth on the way back down. Now, if only I could do that! I don't like fish that much, tho...and definitely not sushi.....

Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,608,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Male RB grosbeak is one of my favorites-he is v-e-r-y handsome! LOL, no sleep for you w/RB woodpecker

How many hummers do you usually have in your area?

gbh
Yes the Grosbeak is handsome, but I love being awakened by the Red-bellied Woodpecker. I always tell people if I were a girl bird, I'd like to be a R-b Woodpecker, because I think the male is fiiiiiiine!!!

I can't say with any certainty, but I'm pretty sure Hummers here are abundant. I've actually had them in years past. At least often enough to make it worth changing and cleaning the feeder on a regular basis (several hits a day). Their numbers have dwindled at my place, which is why I planted the Salvia. I thought it might keep them coming frequently enough to make it worth filling the nectar feeder. So far I saw one male hit the feeder one time, and check out the Salvia (but not drink) in May, but I haven't seen any since then.

And the Salvia are so full of bright salmon and red blossoms, I would have thought it would have encouraged them to come. It's not like they haven't seen them.

The only Hummers we get here are Ruby-throated. I've heard of people seeing others, but I haven't heard of any official confirmations. A few years ago there was a sighting in Wisconsin of a Hummer not normally seen there, very late in the season. Many of the locals were actively trying to see that it made it back to its normal climes before the cold set in. There was a lot made of it on the news. I never did hear how that turned out.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
bjh

59,707 posts, read 30,160,871 times
This weekend we took a road trip. This is a field in Kansas. The state was more scenic than I expected.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,102,859 times
Great pictures!

My friend has a turkey that keeps getting stuck in her backyard.

He forgets he can fly over the fence & she has to keep opening the gate to get him out.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM

16,881 posts, read 15,993,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Yes the Grosbeak is handsome, but I love being awakened by the Red-bellied Woodpecker. I always tell people if I were a girl bird, I'd like to be a R-b Woodpecker, because I think the male is fiiiiiiine!!!

I can't say with any certainty, but I'm pretty sure Hummers here are abundant. I've actually had them in years past. At least often enough to make it worth changing and cleaning the feeder on a regular basis (several hits a day). Their numbers have dwindled at my place, which is why I planted the Salvia. I thought it might keep them coming frequently enough to make it worth filling the nectar feeder. So far I saw one male hit the feeder one time, and check out the Salvia (but not drink) in May, but I haven't seen any since then.

And the Salvia are so full of bright salmon and red blossoms, I would have thought it would have encouraged them to come. It's not like they haven't seen them.

The only Hummers we get here are Ruby-throated. I've heard of people seeing others, but I haven't heard of any official confirmations. A few years ago there was a sighting in Wisconsin of a Hummer not normally seen there, very late in the season. Many of the locals were actively trying to see that it made it back to its normal climes before the cold set in. There was a lot made of it on the news. I never did hear how that turned out.
I think the Ruby Throated are the only hummingbirds east of the mighty Mississippi.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM

44,541 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Well today we had 2 squirrels and 1 racoon stop by the patio door.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,488 posts, read 7,151,554 times
I have a family of groundhogs that live on the mountain side below my house and almost daily they come out and play on the hill. They run out of the woods up into the yard and back again. Sometimes I think they do it just to tease my dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature