Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times

Advertisements

Hello there. It's the Wild Flower in the Nature observation thread. I haven't been able to be online and still won't regularly for awhile. But I miss you while I'm gone!

Here is my contribution to the thread.

I drove up to my bank and this little brown bird was eating something... so, I parked in the next space, didn't want to interrupt him! He flew away anyway... and I saw his "meal". Uhm, a fast food wrapper. That's not food, little birdy! I guess the birdies are hurting these days too.

Then, ten minutes later, I am driving down the street, turning onto a major through-way. A lovely crow- such pretty black feathers -comes strutting up from a parking lot, onto the grass and then the sidewalk. I had to carefully watch the traffic, so it was hard to see him. But when I saw no one behind me, I stopped and glanced over. I worried he'd keep strutting out to the road! I could have acted as a crossing guard for him, right? Again, s/he was really pretty!

Speaking of crossing guards, I read that Chimpanzees will act as crossing guards for the younger members of their tribe. According to Discovery Magazine the Alfa Males will lead the group (in an area that their territory has been encroached on) when it is safe and other Alfa males will take up the rear of the group to protect the young and females! That's chivalry!

OH and one more thing. I also read in the Discovery Mag that when the bird, the Roadrunner has a baby that is not thriving, sometimes, it will throw the baby up in the air and catch him in their mouth and eat them! Or feed them to their siblings! Not much to eat in the Desert, ya know?! And the first born gets all the food at first, so it makes his siblings a prime target for becoming lunch! Sure makes me glad I am not a Roadrunner baby!!

Okay, that's it for now. Take care of each other here. I'll be back when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:52 AM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I would love to have Walnuts.
Black walnuts are way more trouble than they are worth. I never eat them (the ones from my own trees) because it's such hard work and very time consuming to get to the nuts. First, you have to peel off the tough green rind, which is very messy, and then you have to find a way to crack the incredibly hard shell to get to the nut meat inside. Who's got that kind of time and energy? Not I!

Here's a picture of nuts on one of my trees this year.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM

13,534 posts, read 9,940,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello from pecan country.
I’m getting envious now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Black walnuts are way more trouble than they are worth. I never eat them (the ones from my own trees) because it's such hard work and very time consuming to get to the nuts. First, you have to peel off the tough green rind, which is very messy, and then you have to find a way to crack the incredibly hard shell to get to the nut meat inside. Who's got that kind of time and energy? Not I!
I've heard that pickling is good, but a bit of work also.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
No wonder those things are so expensive.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Hi nature lovers!

Enjoyed this week's postings-

Cool here at the coast tonight...earlier saw
migrating Monarch butterflies, just fluttering south along the beach, Great Egrets, Great Blue Heron.

An anole, small green lizard, found it's way inside-gathered him up in 2 hands to quickly put outside...but: the little guy was frightened so he wiggled out and bit the underside of my forearm, then would not let go...lifted my arm up and he was still just hanging there!

A pleasant day/evening to all

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
So you asked the little guy, "what are you doing?" and he said, "nothing, just hangin' out!"

Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
2 eagles possibly hawks I suppose were on a utility pole discussing which one of my little chi-doggies they could get... I brought my small pets in and dared to get the Mastiff...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,283,869 times
WOW! What an awesome thread!! It will take me all night to get through all these wonderful posts and photos. Thanks so much for starting this thread, greatblueheron (and I wish they'd agreed to a Nature Forum...what a marvelous idea).

Edited to add a photo that I hope will qualify for this thread. It was taken at Panaroma Point in Washington state a couple of years ago but I look at it often when the temps here in Houston climb into the triple digits. I cant wait to get back there again.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/PanoramaPoint.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by TFW46; 10-29-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hi nature lovers!

Enjoyed this week's postings-

Cool here at the coast tonight...earlier saw
migrating Monarch butterflies, just fluttering south along the beach, Great Egrets, Great Blue Heron.

An anole, small green lizard, found it's way inside-gathered him up in 2 hands to quickly put outside...but: the little guy was frightened so he wiggled out and bit the underside of my forearm, then would not let go...lifted my arm up and he was still just hanging there!

A pleasant day/evening to all
Will you take some pictures for us, please?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
WOW! What an awesome thread!! It will take me all night to get through all these wonderful posts and photos. Thanks so much for starting this thread, greatblueheron (and I wish they'd agreed to a Nature Forum...what a marvelous idea).

Edited to add a photo that I hope will qualify for this thread. It was taken at Panaroma Point in Washington state a couple of years ago but I look at it often when the temps here in Houston climb into the triple digits. I cant wait to get back there again.
Nice picture, I love this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature