Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Evergreen trees are starting to stand out more and more, as all the other trees loose their leaves for the winter.
for the first time, it looked like winter as i drove to work this morning. the leaves are all on the ground now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,343,723 times
Some of the trees on the hill by the TV Antenna are starting to thin out as their leaves drop off. About 35% of the way to skeleton stage so far.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,189,869 times
laying in bed...around 2:30 in the morn...I hear this very light scratching sound just outside the bedroom...I look up from bed at the tree tops...it's not windy...what the heck....I sit up, look outside..right into the face of a HUGE bull elk....he was grazing right next to the house, and his HUGE rack (aprox 4 feet either side of his head)...was just barely scratching the siding on the house...WOW...jumped up and ran out to shoo him away...he's not at all afraid of the dogs...actually went at one one time....suffice to say he did finally leave...and I've now got my camera ready on the windowsill for next time.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
More snow again. I wonder when the geese are going to leave?? It is an amazing thing to see them take flight south.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
That is a neat story, purehuman. Thanks!

Taigagirl, I thought the geese were here already.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM

560 posts, read 844,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
laying in bed...around 2:30 in the morn...I hear this very light scratching sound just outside the bedroom...I look up from bed at the tree tops...it's not windy...what the heck....I sit up, look outside..right into the face of a HUGE bull elk....he was grazing right next to the house, and his HUGE rack (aprox 4 feet either side of his head)...was just barely scratching the siding on the house...WOW...jumped up and ran out to shoo him away...he's not at all afraid of the dogs...actually went at one one time....suffice to say he did finally leave...and I've now got my camera ready on the windowsill for next time.
Great story purehuman! DH will love to hear this one when he gets home.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM

560 posts, read 844,726 times
Default Ent down!!

I posted Thursday night that our Ents (the trees in the forest around us) were talking in the wind. Came home last night to a 65 foot portion of a pine in the back "yard" that dropped 6 feet from the deer fenced raised bed garden area we just finished putting in about 3 weeks ago!

Thankful for no damage but now have firewood cutting along with taking down the rest of the tree.

Maybe our Ent was prescient and trying to tell us something Thursday!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
That is a neat story, purehuman. Thanks!

Taigagirl, I thought the geese were here already.
There are lots still here. I bet tonight that they are wishing they had left. I just got home, and it is very slippery out and still snowing. It is very picturesque and beautiful evening tonight.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,072,963 times
I was driving the other day and I had my driver window open a few inches and slams on the brake as the largest bee I have ever seen landed on the inside of my window.

it was more than an inch long, and it wasn't a wasp or a hornet or a bumble bee it looked like a honey bee.

I'm alergic to bee stings and when I'm outside I can usually ignore them.
being confined in a car is another story

So I hit the brake,powered down the window,turned into a gas station, undid my seatbelt, jumped into the passenger seat and grapped my baseball cap in less than 10 seconds LOL, it flew out the open window.

phew, deep breaths and cool

Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
laying in bed...around 2:30 in the morn...I hear this very light scratching sound just outside the bedroom...I look up from bed at the tree tops...it's not windy...what the heck....I sit up, look outside..right into the face of a HUGE bull elk....he was grazing right next to the house, and his HUGE rack (aprox 4 feet either side of his head)...was just barely scratching the siding on the house.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature