Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 01:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times

Advertisements

I saw two birds of prey on standing on the traffic light camera... I was so hoping they pooped on the lens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Along those lines, exiting a Walgreens recently, you can clearly see where the signs are on the side of the building without looking up. Just step over the bird droppings.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Along those lines, exiting a Walgreens recently, you can clearly see where the signs are on the side of the building without looking up. Just step over the bird droppings.
Hey that is the case at my local Walgreens too

Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM

47,843 posts, read 21,871,995 times
When we were traveling in Japan in the spring......nesting swallows bring good luck and are also just generally admired...."tsubame". We noticed in train stations and open areas and store fronts....people would suspend cardboard boxes just below the nests to catch the droppings....or put a box on the pavement underneath for the same purpose. It would be bad luck and un-thought of, to shoo the swallows away. (I dont think pigeons were treated with the same deference.)

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Hey that is the case at my local Walgreens too
It's a conspiracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When we were traveling in Japan in the spring......nesting swallows bring good luck and are also just generally admired...."tsubame". We noticed in train stations and open areas and store fronts....people would suspend cardboard boxes just below the nests to catch the droppings....or put a box on the pavement underneath for the same purpose. It would be bad luck and un-thought of, to shoo the swallows away. (I dont think pigeons were treated with the same deference.)
That's not a bad idea. I don't like keeping birds from nesting. Sometimes in a mall or a train station you can see birds flying around. If there's a food court, they can live in there. Oh, and in big box stores, sometimes avians of similar plumage congregate.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,383,553 times
A few months back, July I think, I made friends with a juvenile Racoon.
At my Job they sit outide the door waiting for us to take the trash out.
It's just one bag but it's after snack time and they know it's got some sort of stuff in there..
Even though the dumpster is covered most people see it as an extra chore to close the lid..

Anyways there was this "teenager racoon" he was brave, his buddys would run but he always seemed a bit more curious and he'd sit by the door and beg.

Well I fed him an orange, and he just could not figure the peel out.. he rolled it around and played with it a little.. It was still there the next morning.

Next night, risking getting yelled at by the Nurse I brought out a few apple slices.. fed him or her and when I brought that trash bag out she followed me,
just a foot or two behind.. I was being very carefull..

I put the bag in the dumpster and closed the lid. The little brat jumped on the stone enclosure and looked at me with accusing eyes...
Like OH NO YA DIDNT CLOSE THAT LID!!!
I had 4 apple halves in my scrub pockets wrapped in paper towels..

After that night he followed me around for awile, I'd turn and talk to him as he was sitting on the dumpster walls... never more then a foot or so away.
I never tried to hand feed him, i'm not that brave.. I'm pretty confident I could have though.

Like all kids they grow up, I dont see him anymore and wouldnt know if I did.

Dont you know all racoons look alike..?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM

47,843 posts, read 21,871,995 times
Caligula......you sound cautious....but please remember that wild animals are just that...."wild"...and racoons can be savage.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
some friendly deer pics [not mine]

Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
some friendly deer pics [not mine]
Very nice, uggabugga. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Default Another Mocking bird!

I guess my area has a million mockingbirds. L0L

Every direction I look, there is a mountain. Where there is not a mountain, there is a hill! This photo was taken down the hill from my apartment. I live in the middle of a hill. HA If I go up my road, I get to the top of the hill, if I go down the road, I get to the bottom. If I go across the road, I go down a smaller hill- after going through a bunch of tall skinny (leave less right -now!) trees. On the other side of those trees, is a meadow. I was standing to the right of the meadow, looking at a tree- with the mockingbird!

Whew! What a description to describe how I took this picture! It took a few shoots, moving down the hill, moving back and forth to be able to see him clearly.

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-bird-tree.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature