U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times

Advertisements

Time for a picture:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,679,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hi nature folks! Been away for a bit, so will enjoy looking over your latest observations....

Kinda quiet here....chickadees, cardinals, titmice at the feeder and just one male goldfinch. The suet is popular now that it is cooler here. The birding trips around here will start up again next week, so maybe I will have something interesting to report... quiet at the beaches too, some sanderlings, pelicans, cormorants, gannetts and sea ducks too far away to id.
So happy to see you back, gbh. You've been missed.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,277,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Time for a picture:
That is so very beautiful and also amazing! I had no idea a teensy little bird could or would do things like that.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,679,590 times
Thanks, bjh. Beautiful photo.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Today: saw a yellow-bellied sapsucker and then, a Great Blue Heron flew over the bridge and in front of my car.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,763,920 times
Wow, what a photo, bjh! Is that a hummingbird???

Nice to see everybody - a new poster and bgh is back. Yay!

Yesterday we had 2 really interesting sightings. We brought a friend's daughter to the airport and, driving out of the community, there was a pair of raccoons just after the guardhouse. They were so cute! They were about the same size, and it was so funny to watch them waddling away from us, in unison! Those two little butts were in synch, for sure!

Then, as we drove down I75 towards the Airport, there was a big wild boar, running parallel to the road, with two little ones behind her. It was so cool! I'd never seen one before. I hope they stayed beside the road and didn't try to cross.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,277,549 times
I never see much of anything except a few squirrels and a couple of raccoons! I'm living in a place named after the heron and still haven't seen one, only a few cranes and that was months ago. Maybe I'll go hang around I75!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post

Yesterday we had 2 really interesting sightings. We brought a friend's daughter to the airport and, driving out of the community, there was a pair of raccoons just after the guardhouse. They were so cute! They were about the same size, and it was so funny to watch them waddling away from us, in unison! Those two little butts were in synch, for sure!

Then, as we drove down I75 towards the Airport, there was a big wild boar, running parallel to the road, with two little ones behind her. It was so cool! I'd never seen one before. I hope they stayed beside the road and didn't try to cross.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 AM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
I observed a squirrel in the park today....actually yesterday!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 AM

15,812 posts, read 4,930,121 times
In December we get a mini-invasion of dozens of golden-crowned sparrows in our back yard. They only appear for one day, and it's always in December. I recognize them by their bright yellow markings. They zoom excitedly around our backyard and our neighbors', exploring all the bushes and trees, and then poof! They're gone until the next year. I suspect they're probably just making a rest stop on their migration south for the winter.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post

It's a kingfisher. Kingfisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great at diving for fish, just much smaller than eagles that do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature