Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times

Advertisements

Sure; I'd love to see it. Neat stuff.

Nature is being mean to most of the east, I see. I just got off the phone w/Mom. It's -18 degrees in Northern NY, with an expected high of 9. That's F, not Celsius degrees, and not a wind chill.

Our Sunday coffee friends called and said it was too cold to come out! It's 40 here! She was laughing - she couldn't believe they have gotten so used to the warm weather that they can't go outside in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Looks like you nailed it! This is a Buteo buzzard and looks just like Jezer's pic. Nice work, greatblueheron! I did not know the buzzard family could be so stylish! Edit: sorry about the guts....guess I could've cropped it!
Guts is part of nature, IMO. We are predators.

I took the mutts out and saw two very beautiful deer in front yard. The dogs did not see them, and they very gently and very quietly made their way out the opposite end.

The same five have been hanging around our house lately. This time they were eating the grape vines.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM

16,547 posts, read 17,310,562 times
Thanks for all the help- a buzzard looks the most likely, especially as it was 80 yards away- I paced it out. I thought it looked big.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,855,754 times
After 4 inches of snow here, the birds, mostly sparrows, are getting so fat on my bird feeder he barely fits on the perch!!... mice are making their tunnels under the snow piles and hawks are starting to land on my back fence just waiting for the right moment... yes mother nature. Rabbits keep making tracks that turn to little ice spots on my cement patio.. just better watch those icy spots when I'm lighting the fire..
Have a great evening...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,609,391 times
I got my first Juncos of the season here at my house! I've been seeing them around my area since about the autumn equinox, but yesterday was the first time they've landed at my feeders this year.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Sure; I'd love to see it. Neat stuff.

Nature is being mean to most of the east, I see. I just got off the phone w/Mom. It's -18 degrees in Northern NY, with an expected high of 9. That's F, not Celsius degrees, and not a wind chill.

Our Sunday coffee friends called and said it was too cold to come out! It's 40 here! She was laughing - she couldn't believe they have gotten so used to the warm weather that they can't go outside in this.
This is the best I could do with the lens I had while standing on the edge of the Indian mound and hoping not to fall backwards. From where I'm standing to the flat ground below is 25-30 feet down a very steep incline. This shot gives a sense of the indentation, and you can see the oak tree growing there and the way some of its leaves collect on the top of the mound.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
^^^So interesting, bjh.

In my area, there are still civil war era mounds built arounds forts.
Also have Indian mounds but they are made of oyster shells.... some are buried, some form a circle....most of them are in the woods, along the tidal creeks.

Sorry I don't have a photo. I need to learn how to do at least a link...

Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 AM

Good for you! Those are neat little birds...was surprised to find out one spring that they nest in earthen berms. I was looking out a window in the mountains of NC when they began flying in and out of a berm that had been carved out years ago....small little nesting holes were obvious then but not until I saw them going in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I got my first Juncos of the season here at my house! I've been seeing them around my area since about the autumn equinox, but yesterday was the first time they've landed at my feeders this year.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 AM

Your place sounds like a very welcoming place for our wildlife friends

The hawks used to fly by my feeders too....part of nature but I prefer not to watch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
After 4 inches of snow here, the birds, mostly sparrows, are getting so fat on my bird feeder he barely fits on the perch!!... mice are making their tunnels under the snow piles and hawks are starting to land on my back fence just waiting for the right moment... yes mother nature. Rabbits keep making tracks that turn to little ice spots on my cement patio.. just better watch those icy spots when I'm lighting the fire..
Have a great evening...

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,729,298 times
Question A Mushroom On a Tree

This tree is in my yard; it's a mature English Walnut tree, and I've been told that this:

is a Lion's Mane mushroom.

Never knew a mushroom could grow on a tree Anyone here have knowledge about this?

It has been there about two months now, and even through very windy and cold weather, though we've had no rain.
By the time I noticed it, it was just like this i.e., I didn't see it beginning to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature