Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,729,298 times

Advertisements

PS, sorry about the crooked horizon , I had to hold the camera up high for taking the picture and didn't realize until posting it here that I'd tilted it.

Crooked horizons drive me nuts.. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,147,140 times
I felt sorry for the starving cat some neighbors abandoned when they moved away. So I started putting out food for it. Now I have four cats hanging around every day wanting to be fed. One ran into the house yesterday when I opened the door and, honestly, I thought I wasn't going to get it out again. He kept running and hiding from me as I swung my purse at him and he would duck and run anywhere except toward the door.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
^^^So interesting, bjh.

In my area, there are still civil war era mounds built arounds forts.
Also have Indian mounds but they are made of oyster shells.... some are buried, some form a circle....most of them are in the woods, along the tidal creeks.

Sorry I don't have a photo. I need to learn how to do at least a link...
Mounds are all up and down the MS river. A lot of them seem to be built around waterways.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
This tree is in my yard; it's a mature English Walnut tree, and I've been told that this:

is a Lion's Mane mushroom.

Never knew a mushroom could grow on a tree Anyone here have knowledge about this?

It has been there about two months now, and even through very windy and cold weather, though we've had no rain.
By the time I noticed it, it was just like this i.e., I didn't see it beginning to grow.

Weird. Thanks for sharing. Never saw this type of mushroom. But fungus can grow just about anywhere.

The fungus is among us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hericium_erinaceus

PS - Didn't notice the horizon until you mentioned it. You can correct that in a simple app like Microsoft Photo.

Last edited by bjh; 01-16-2012 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: add wikipedia link

Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I felt sorry for the starving cat some neighbors abandoned when they moved away. So I started putting out food for it. Now I have four cats hanging around every day wanting to be fed. One ran into the house yesterday when I opened the door and, honestly, I thought I wasn't going to get it out again. He kept running and hiding from me as I swung my purse at him and he would duck and run anywhere except toward the door.
At least you're feeding them.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Lots of interesting posts here. The Indian mounds are really interesting. I will have to do some more reading about them. the Lion's Mane Mushroom is very cool looking. I have never seen anything like that before. thanks for sharing..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,147,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
At least you're feeding them.
Now there's a fifth cat outside. I literally have to beat them off to make them stay outside--at least for two of them that try and sneak between my legs to get into the house.

Lawdy, Miss Claudie, what have I started??

Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,203,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Now there's a fifth cat outside. I literally have to beat them off to make them stay outside--at least for two of them that try and sneak between my legs to get into the house.

Lawdy, Miss Claudie, what have I started??
Only 5?

People abandon animals out here frequently and they always seem to find their way to our house. Now, we have about 40 cats and 13 dogs, the majority of which were just left on the side of the road.

Just once, I want to catch somebody doing this to an animal! I would love nothing more than to take them out to the middle of nowhere, drop them off and see how they like it.

It's a good thing that you're doing by feeding them. Cats are very loving animals and I know they appreciate your efforts.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
bjh

NOT that anyone on this thread necessarily fits that description. Just a funny picutre.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
NOT that anyone on this thread necessarily fits that description. Just a funny picutre.
That is such a cute pic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature