Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,262,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Here is one of the kitties hanging around my house. This one has jumped up on the windowsill several times wanting to get my attention.

Poor Kitty......................just needs a little tlc. If it were here it would have been named and spoiled by now. Much to hubby's dismay I'm a sucker for homeless animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
I saw a large bird, an eagle?? It was gray, maybe. It was so high up, above my apt. and above the trees above them. I did see that it had white under his wings. Are eagles gray?

Anyway, what was cool about the bird was he was circling... flying with his wings spread wide. gliding almost the whole wide circle. One time he flapped his wings about three or four times, then continued gliding. It was so neat to see. I watched him for about five minutes before he flew his circles further and further away. I wish I'd had my camera but he would have been small since he was so high up.

I think some of the best pictures are taken in our mind.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 01-19-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM

589 posts, read 7,637,985 times
Default The damned squirrel again!

Left the house late today, the sun was already up by 07:30 (dear Lord, please bring unto us the longer days of spring...). Saw the squirrel just sitting on the lattice in the carport. He simply looked at me without moving and I could see he'd been trying to get into the birdfeeder for some seed. I could also see that the biting wind in the minus 8 degree cold was making him shiver.

So I went back into the house and scooped some sunflower seeds and mixed nuts into one of the bowls meant for our (inside only) cats. I put it in a sheltered corner of the carport out of the wind and then got into the truck; Herr Squirrel hadn't moved a micron during all of this although I was only 3 feet away from him at one point. Even the roar of 400 horsepower firing up didn't chase him off. As I left I saw him at the bowl feeding on the first food he's probably had in a while. Guess I'll have to keep feeding him until the snow's gone.

(I MUST be getting old...)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch View Post
Left the house late today, the sun was already up by 07:30 (dear Lord, please bring unto us the longer days of spring...). Saw the squirrel just sitting on the lattice in the carport. He simply looked at me without moving and I could see he'd been trying to get into the birdfeeder for some seed. I could also see that the biting wind in the minus 8 degree cold was making him shiver.

So I went back into the house and scooped some sunflower seeds and mixed nuts into one of the bowls meant for our (inside only) cats. I put it in a sheltered corner of the carport out of the wind and then got into the truck; Herr Squirrel hadn't moved a micron during all of this although I was only 3 feet away from him at one point. Even the roar of 400 horsepower firing up didn't chase him off. As I left I saw him at the bowl feeding on the first food he's probably had in a while. Guess I'll have to keep feeding him until the snow's gone.

Sweet. Blessings to you!

If this is the definition of old, I don't mind being called old (grant it, I'm not hahahaaa Not really, almost! ! )

Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
A very nice thing to do, Da Grouch!

Quote:

Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM

19,104 posts, read 16,474,037 times
Wonderful story, DaGrouch! Made me smile today and I thank you for that!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
Good work, DaGrouch!

Saw a red shouldered hawk the other day; sorry I forgot to tell you all. Am I forgiven???

Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I saw a large bird, an eagle?? It was gray, maybe. It was so high up, above my apt. and above the trees above them. I did see that it had white under his wings. Are eagles gray?

Anyway, what was cool about the bird was he was circling... flying with his wings spread wide. gliding almost the whole wide circle. One time he flapped his wings about three or four times, then continued gliding. It was so neat to see. I watched him for about five minutes before he flew his circles further and further away. I wish I'd had my camera but he would have been small since he was so high up.

I think some of the best pictures are taken in our mind.
I like seeing red tailed hawks circling. Even vultures wings are remarkable looking in a good way when they fly. And you're right, often pictures don't do the subject justice anyway.

Quote:

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
This tree is in my yard; it's a mature English Walnut tree, and I've been told that this:

is a Lion's Mane mushroom.

Never knew a mushroom could grow on a tree Anyone here have knowledge about this?

It has been there about two months now, and even through very windy and cold weather, though we've had no rain.
By the time I noticed it, it was just like this i.e., I didn't see it beginning to grow.
Looks like there's a hedgehog shoved up in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I felt sorry for the starving cat some neighbors abandoned when they moved away. So I started putting out food for it. Now I have four cats hanging around every day wanting to be fed. One ran into the house yesterday when I opened the door and, honestly, I thought I wasn't going to get it out again. He kept running and hiding from me as I swung my purse at him and he would duck and run anywhere except toward the door.
I have the same issue. My neighbor left their cat and I have been taking care of her for months, but there are now 3 others that have come around. The newest one is a young male that has started being a meany and terrorizing my red tabby (the original). I have an appt to get this newest one "tutored" next week to nip that problem in the bud.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
I think I love you.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature