U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 PM

18,101 posts, read 3,661,517 times

Advertisements

Feeding him got you an "I love you" from me... but with this new development....well, are you already taken, like forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch View Post
So after yesterday's "Sad Sack" routine I meet up with Herr Squirrel out in the carport again this morning. The bloody cold wind is blowing hard and biting even harder, but he's there desperately hoping for something to put in his now empty belly. He once more sits right where he is, barely 2 feet away from me. We both know that I could reach out, grab him and crush little his skull before he could run but he seems to have faith in my good (???) intentions and doesn't move. Anyway, he gets another meal of sunflower seeds and mixed nuts out of me but although he's now feasting in the shelter of the carport behind the pony wall and out of the fierce sub-zero wind the little urchin is still shivering from prolonged exposure to the cold.

To make a long story short; this puzzles me so I go over to the cherry tree where he's been holed up in a rotted out hollow only to find that the main branch has broken off in the prevailing gale that's lasted nearly a week now and his former shelter is barely useable. After sighing and rolling my eyes I determined what had to be done and drove off to the shop. My partner and all of our employees gave me strange looks as I worked on my project this morning - I just told them it was best not to ask and to merely consider the fact that I'm becoming old and senile.

What I put together was a simple version of this: (I'll let you know if he makes use of it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM

A barred owl dozed all day in a tree just outside by bedrm sliding door. It was quite a treat to watch through the binoculars on and off...late in the day he/she began the owl calls with others nearby. Pretty neat.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM

589 posts, read 7,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Feeding him got you an "I love you" from me... but with this new development....well, are you already taken, like forever?
Well, I was kinda gonna ask you the same thing but since you have your profile hidden I was a bit leary of that...after all, you might be a guy for all I know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get home this evening and the blonde tells me that she put some freshly roasted pumpkin seeds out in the old finch feeding tray (mounted just a couple of feet below the new squirrel hut) that hasn't been used in a couple of years. She did this because Herr Squirrel (aka: Supernose) wouldn't then be able to miss the newly available digs being offered up to him when he went for the seeds. I went out with a flashlight to see if he'd gotten the pumpkin seeds and found them all gone. Shining the beam up at the squirrel hut I saw the troublesome rodent looking down at me from just inside - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Ron

Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,288,081 times
That was a great idea. Supernose may have found it by tracking your smell but kudos for The Blonde! Super kudos for you!

Quote:
I get home this evening and the blonde tells me that she put some freshly roasted pumpkin seeds out in the old finch feeding tray (mounted just a couple of feet below the new squirrel hut) that hasn't been used in a couple of years. She did this because Herr Squirrel (aka: Supernose) wouldn't then be able to miss the newly available digs being offered up to him when he went for the seeds. I went out with a flashlight to see if he'd gotten the pumpkin seeds and found them all gone. Shining the beam up at the squirrel hut I saw the troublesome rodent looking down at me from just inside - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Ron

Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,788,699 times
I think I'm lovin' ya, too, Da Grouch, but I'm taken. Great job, fella! I'm impressed.

This morning, DH and I were working around outside when we looked up to see 3, maybe 5 bald eagles soaring up above us. There were 2 birds way up, but we couldn't see for sure if they were eagles. Gosh, would I love to be able to do that.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Ms Barred Owl dozing again today in the tree behind my place. Around 4pm or so she opened her eyes and began calling out to others near-by. It was quite a chorus-they have specific calls but also make funny grunts and coughs and cackles.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM

589 posts, read 7,303,705 times
Default Another day

It was a long one today and I just went outside to get a bit of air before turning in. The cold spell has broken (we got up to 41F today) and the coyotes are out tonight: I heard them while I was out on the deck. That's just another of many reasons why our 2 cats are indoor felines only. And, of course, the owl is in his/her usual tree down the road singing its strange song for all to hear. Naturally, Herr Squirrel is tucked away within the safe confines of his new apartment and well out of reach of owls, coyotes and other carnivorous beasts of the night (eg: the neighbor's prowling cats).

Saw a small herd of deer just off the highway on the way home tonight; I'm sure they're all glad that the snow has started to melt so there's some grass available to them now. I see I also have some birds roosting up in the eaves of the carport. It's probably as good a place as any to stay dry and warm - no doubt they'll be the first ones at the feeder in the morning.

Good night all.
Ron

Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,288,081 times
Quote:
It was a long one today and I just went outside to get a bit of air before turning in. The cold spell has broken (we got up to 41F today) and the coyotes are out tonight: I heard them while I was out on the deck. That's just another of many reasons why our 2 cats are indoor felines only. And, of course, the owl is in his/her usual tree down the road singing its strange song for all to hear. Naturally, Herr Squirrel is tucked away within the safe confines of his new apartment and well out of reach of owls, coyotes and other carnivorous beasts of the night (eg: the neighbor's prowling cats).

Saw a small herd of deer just off the highway on the way home tonight; I'm sure they're all glad that the snow has started to melt so there's some grass available to them now. I see I also have some birds roosting up in the eaves of the carport. It's probably as good a place as any to stay dry and warm - no doubt they'll be the first ones at the feeder in the morning.

Good night all.
Ron
Just looked at your profile and saw your super cool roadster. Nice!

You get to see and hear lots of nature. So glad you keep your cats inside away from coyotes and out of the freezing weather.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM

32,036 posts, read 17,299,762 times
On behalf of all the squirrels in the world, past, present, and future, thank you for a kind deed, Da Grouch.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,788,699 times
Neat photo, red. We have squirrels down here - smaller than those up north. I do miss the chipmunks, tho. IMO, they're the comedians. Loved to watch them stuff as many p'nuts as possible into their little faces. It was worth the $$ we spent feeding them, the squirrels and the birds, too. And our kitties loved their kitty tv (they're indoor cats, too, DaGrouch). THey'd sit next to the sliding glass door and "chase" those chippers from one end to the other. I swear we could hear the chippers going "neener, neener, neener" knowing that the cats couldn't get to them! It was funny watching them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature