Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,729,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Well, that was uncalled for. I guess the word for that is mycocide.
Uncalled for, indeed! Thank's everyone, for commiserating with me. I'm still not over it, but watching this excitement is helping: The Owl Channel Live

Dale is going to lay her 4th egg any moment now! It's amazing to see this; watching the Owl Box, we see things few peeps get to view.
And I mean it can happen at any time; she's actually about 3 hours late with this one.

After laying the first egg of a clutch the rest of the eggs get laid at about 48 hour intervals. I'm totally fascinated with this, can you tell?

PS Mycocide. . . .great new word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
^^^ Thanks Macrina!

What a treat... can't think of any "show" I'd rather watch more than this one

Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 PM

61,094 posts, read 85,880,338 times
^^^ I agree! I love to watch storks when they come back to their nests in Spring and watch the little birds hatch out. There are many live cameras of nesting birds on the net

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
HOw long until they hatch?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
HOw long until they hatch?

I think the first possible hatch date is Feb 16 for this clutch.

The Mods. or Owl Cam Guy (the owner of the owl box) haven't officially said because she's still laying eggs. She'll probably lay one or two more, but it's been known that a female can lay up to 7 or 8 eggs in a clutch. It's just too soon to know.

I was watching yesterday and one could tell when the egg came out, but couldn't see it of course until she got up and looked at it. That occurred at 1:22 pm. But the laying of the egg was at 1:13.

Honestly, I could sit watching all day.... Right now she's sittin' on the eggs, but chirping a lot; she's calling to Roy, her mate. It's been awhile since he's brought her anything to eat, as far as I know. The last sighted 'treat' was at 3 something AM.

This page has a fount of information: The Owl Pages

Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

The Mods. or Owl Cam Guy (the owner of the owl box) haven't officially said because she's still laying eggs. She'll probably lay one or two more, but it's been known that a female can lay up to 7 or 8 eggs in a clutch. It's just too soon to know.

I was watching yesterday and one could tell when the egg came out, but couldn't see it of course until she got up and looked at it. That occurred at 1:22 pm. But the laying of the egg was at 1:13.

Honestly, I could sit watching all day.... Right now she's sittin' on the eggs, but chirping a lot; she's calling to Roy, her mate. It's been awhile since he's brought her anything to eat, as far as I know. The last sighted 'treat' was at 3 something AM.

Thanks, macrina. Simply awesome.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,253,241 times
Very pretty winter walk, sky was first light blue and white trees against it were so pretty. Then sky was dark blue and white birches against it, oh lalaa so pretty

Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Very pretty winter walk, sky was first light blue and white trees against it were so pretty. Then sky was dark blue and white birches against it, oh lalaa so pretty
Sounds beautiful, Riippa. This morning as I drove through the Dunes National Lakeshore on my way to work, a great blue heron was flying back and forth across the highway. He flew from the trees on one side to the trees on the other side several times, circling back without stopping for a breather. I wondered if he was looking for something or just cruising!

Herons are so beautiful! It never ceases to amaze me that we have herons, egrets and cranes in this part of the state - heavily industrialized with the steel mills on the Lake Michigan shore and many other mills and factories as well.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post

When I read her name was Dale I immediately thought of Dale Evans.

That Roy needs to get on the ball and bring his woman something to eat.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
When I read her name was Dale I immediately thought of Dale Evans.

That Roy needs to get on the ball and bring his woman something to eat.
Dale Evans is exactly right ! And Roy is for Roy Rogers. OwlCamGuy (the owner of the box and all the electronics equipment) is who does the naming.

Right now it's been 52 hours since the last egg, so it should happen any. time. now. Although there not strong signs of active labor to be seen at the moment.
Don't worry ~ Roy will show up with treats; he's a great provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature