Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM

194 posts, read 444,493 times

Advertisements

I live on Long Island which is basically one suburban tract after another which somewhat limits the types of wildlife we see. Even so, we have raccoons, possums, squirrels and numerous birds. Since it is allegedly winter here even though temps have been in the 40's and 50's, I make sure I feed the birds daily. Sparrow, doves, bluejays, cardinals, pigeons (unfortunately) and even one woodpecker have been eating on a daily basis.

However, since Sunday, they have not been around as much. This morning, I discovered why. My backyard resembles a killing field with feathers because sitting on my back fence was a hawk eating a dove for breakfast. I understand it's nature's way of perpetuating all species but still kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
"My" Red-bellied Woodpecker came back, hammering on my gutters again like he did throughout last spring and summer. He's been here twice this week, so I guess he must think spring is coming and he is letting all the other R-b Woodpeckers know that my house is his!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
"My" Red-bellied Woodpecker came back, hammering on my gutters again like he did throughout last spring and summer. He's been here twice this week, so I guess he must think spring is coming and he is letting all the other R-b Woodpeckers know that my house is his!
Yikes! When they hammer on metal, it's SO LOUD!

I've had some Red-bellied Woodpeckers visiting my yard this season, for the first time ever (that I know of). I've always had some Downys and Red-headeds, as well as Flickers in my yard, but never a Red-bellied until last fall. Had to look him up in my field guide. Maybe he's a relative of one of yours, neighbor.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
We are happy to have another nature lover on the thread---

changing light is something I have noticed more these days too... so different at each hour/day/season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I notice the wind and the weather a lot, and the changing light, quality of light, over the course of the seasons. Been taking walks every day, so even get in touch with the "feel" of the night, whats in the sky, etc....

Glad to find this thread!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Makes me sad, too...even though we (supposedly) understand the food chain .

Glad you are enjoying the birds in your area... and other wild ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
I live on Long Island which is basically one suburban tract after another which somewhat limits the types of wildlife we see. Even so, we have raccoons, possums, squirrels and numerous birds. Since it is allegedly winter here even though temps have been in the 40's and 50's, I make sure I feed the birds daily. Sparrow, doves, bluejays, cardinals, pigeons (unfortunately) and even one woodpecker have been eating on a daily basis.

However, since Sunday, they have not been around as much. This morning, I discovered why. My backyard resembles a killing field with feathers because sitting on my back fence was a hawk eating a dove for breakfast. I understand it's nature's way of perpetuating all species but still kind of sad.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 PM

He's back! Maybe you will have RB youngsters near your home this spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post

Glad to hear that there is wildlife in suburban "Long Guy Land," hawks and all. Is it a bit wilder on the eastern tip?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 AM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Glad to hear that there is wildlife in suburban "Long Guy Land," hawks and all. Is it a bit wilder on the eastern tip?
Yes, a more rural version of Lawn Guyland still exists from about Route 112 in Patchogue all the way out to the tips of both forks. Most of that has been spared the suburban sprawl found in Nassau and western Suffolk. Deer are plentiful (so plentiful, one of the townships sponsored a short hunting season to lower the numbers) along with rabbits, fox, and a variety of other small rodents.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Todays modern world consists of those that feel they are do-gooders and are interested in preserving the environment...few of these people have ever been exposed to nature - or really appreciate the glory of what it is...I really like the old term - Naturalist!

When I see a group of cheerful sparrows on a rainy day - clusttered and chirping in a bush - laughing - bickering - always happy - It brings joy to my soul...When I lay down on some natural grass at the edge of a meadow...I feel alive and strong...when I pass by a tree and gently touch a leaf - I feel privledged to be here.

BUT when I see a Robin in the dead of what was once winter I find it disturbing - that for a thousand years they flew south and returned in the spring..but now remain - It hurts because I see what is to come..the destruction of nature - and the constant Orwellian cry of environmentalism..that means nothing.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Yesterday while working in the backyard I noticed two large hawks flying overhead. They continued to soar in a circular pattern catching the wind currents. They amazed me as the two birds stayed within inches of each other at times and never more than a couple of feet away from the other. I watched them for more than five minutes before they drifted away over another area. They were so graceful and synchronized together while in flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature