Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times

Advertisements

Beautiful Aks...thank you. Like life itself. The struggle for survival and the beauty that lies within..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

This is better than being ~ between a rock and a hard place.

The desert struggle is tough, no water no dirt however it’s the start of spring here and this is where I find the sun.

I also saw a new little humming bird flying around the trees in the yard for the past three days looking for a place to make a nest this year. .
I love the photo, Aks! What a beautiful testament to nature's tenacity!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM

I woke up to an unexpected blanket of wet snow this morning! It was absolutely gorgeous because the snow stuck to branches, giving trees and shrubs a magical, other-worldly appearance. My drive to work through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore was lovely. Here are a few pix I quickly shot in my yard just before leaving for work this morning.

This is my forsythia bush.

This is a detail of my Rose of Sharon bush.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,609,391 times
Wow, Pam, very nice!

In the past week, I've heard the first Song Sparrow of the year (although they are said to stay here all year), the male cardinals are starting to call for the girls, and "Mel," my Red-bellied Woodpecker is coming around announcing his territory by pecking on my gutters again!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Lovely PAM...

Thanks to you and all the rest who brighten up our day with your photos...YOU are quite good!!

I moved south to get away from cold and snow, but seeing these pics, well I miss it a bit now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I woke up to an unexpected blanket of wet snow this morning! It was absolutely gorgeous because the snow stuck to branches, giving trees and shrubs a magical, other-worldly appearance. My drive to work through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore was lovely. Here are a few pix I quickly shot in my yard just before leaving for work this morning.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Nice! Mel must be making a few dents in the gutters by now...

I walked into a marshy area today and was happy to see 2 oyster catchers... they were poking for food at the shoreline where oyster shells accumulate; then, a great blue heron, 2 little blue herons, (they are not offspring of great blue); and 2 red-tailed hawks together in a tree.

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Wow, Pam, very nice!

In the past week, I've heard the first Song Sparrow of the year (although they are said to stay here all year), the male cardinals are starting to call for the girls, and "Mel," my Red-bellied Woodpecker is coming around announcing his territory by pecking on my gutters again!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Default Two Sparrows, one home at JcPenneys

Two birds were fighting, so says a Sales Associate. I didn't see that but I did see... (P.S... i may have the birds mixed up at the end but it makes a good story this way! )

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbb.jpg  

Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Two birds were fighting, so says a Sales Associate. I didn't see that but I did see... (P.S... i may have the birds mixed up at the end but it makes a good story this way! )

Way cool, Wild Flower!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Quote:

I love these! So sweet. Stop making me miss the snow! Your drive sounds heavenly! Just love it!

And I appreciate your kind words too. The birds were fun to watch. I am going to have to start getting out in nature, away from the things of man. See them in the woods would be even better!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
And now for something cheerful........ here are a few pix I took a couple days ago of some early risers poking out of the frozen ground in my yard. (That's snow in the background.)

Snowdrops have been blooming since the 1st week of February, which is normal for them.

My early crocus are earlier than usual this year. Some started to bloom on Saturday!

And my resurrection lilies (a/k/a belladonna lilies) have just started to poke up through the mulch. I love it!

Spring's a-comin'!

Although - I woke up to a new blanket of snow this morning!

Beautiful! Lucky you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch View Post
Chickadee at the feeder.

Ron
Beautiful chickadee, Da Grouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

This is better than being ~ between a rock and a hard place.

The desert struggle is tough, no water no dirt however it’s the start of spring here and this is where I find the sun.
I also saw a new little humming bird flying around the trees in the yard for the past three days looking for a place to make a nest this year.

A classic pic, Aks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Snow: The morning after .....

It's a bright, clear morning, and the trees are practically glowing in the sunlight.

Beautiful!
Gorgeous! They are glowing!

Quote:

Very pretty and this is my first Rose of Sharon viewing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Way to go, Wildflower! Nice pics and love the comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature