Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM

19,104 posts, read 16,474,037 times

Advertisements

I just have to say ... All of you who are posting photos, are doing a fantastic job! The close ups of insects are especially interesting. I'm not one that enjoys getting up close and personal with eight-legged critters so I'm enjoying your well detailed shots. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
You DID have quite an exciting day...

Thanks for the photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Really? If it wasn't a potentially serious situation it would almost be funny.

I called the DOW after I got the dog loose and chased the bear out of the yard. Apparently, the guy I first talked to is in more than a little trouble now and I have a nice, new bear trap sitting in my orchard.

What a day!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Really? If it wasn't a potentially serious situation it would almost be funny.

I called the DOW after I got the dog loose and chased the bear out of the yard. Apparently, the guy I first talked to is in more than a little trouble now and I have a nice, new bear trap sitting in my orchard.

What a day!
What is the game wardens job?

You're gonna wanna make sure your dog doesn't get caught in that bear trap then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I brought her a worm as a peace offering...
That's the least you could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I just have to say ... All of you who are posting photos, are doing a fantastic job! The close ups of insects are especially interesting. I'm not one that enjoys getting up close and personal with eight-legged critters so I'm enjoying your well detailed shots. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Close up? I thought that bug was as big as a wagon wheel.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,203,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
What is the game wardens job?

You're gonna wanna make sure your dog doesn't get caught in that bear trap then.

That's the least you could do.

Close up? I thought that bug was as big as a wagon wheel.
Good question.

Part of their job is to protect our wildlife. With all of the wildfires currently burning in Colorado, animals are being forced to flee their natural habitats in order to find food and survive. The Waldo Canyon fire is only 40 miles NE of us so the increase in "critters" was to be expected.

The important thing is that these animals have a chance.

We've lost almost 100,000 acres of forest in just over two months and it's not over yet for Colorado.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Good question.

Part of their job is to protect our wildlife. With all of the wildfires currently burning in Colorado, animals are being forced to flee their natural habitats in order to find food and survive. The Waldo Canyon fire is only 40 miles NE of us so the increase in "critters" was to be expected.

We've lost almost 100,000 acres of forest in just over two months and it's not over yet for Colorado.
I feel for you.

Reports are the feds aren't doing some things they could because of politics.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,203,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I feel for you.

Reports are the feds aren't doing some things they could because of politics.
Honestly, they're doing a lot.

After the fire destroyed all those homes in Colorado Springs, things were kicked into high gear. The firefighters we had received the additional help and equipment they needed and in just a few days the fire there went from 15% to 95% containment.

On top of putting out the fire, many of them were also going above and beyond by helping to save at risk wildlife.

Firefighters rock!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Saddened to hear about the Colorado fires/damages......but it is heartening to learn of efforts for wildlife in addition to area residents.

YES, indeed:

Firefighters rock![/quote]

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
On my early morning walk, about 20-30 yds.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
Quote:
Good question.

although 100,000 acres is considerable, the fire in the gila national forest in new mexico earlier this year burned nearly 3000 times as much acreage - 465 square miles- yet didn't get very much publicity, presumably b/c it was in such a remote area that not many homes were burned. very sad for all the animals that have lost their habitats..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 AM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
My town finally got rain, on Saturday night. There have been some microbursts in towns surrounding us over the past couple of weeks, but we didn't get a drop until late Saturday night. I could see a huge difference in the height of the corn today as I drove to work. We need a lot more rain, but it sure was nice to get what we got!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature