Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Yeah! Harold was much relieved! Kind hearts in the Nature thread, for sure!

All male turtles are named Harold, females are Maude. (DO NOT ask how he knew he was a he! :-D )
I had no clue on males being Harold..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I saved a moth in my window the other day. There was a big hole and the poor dear was stuck between the screen and my window. I found a cup that I captured him, then released him out my front door! Though it was raining, he flew right off!
We try to save most insects we find indoors, except for moths! DH has a vendetta against them (I feel the same about flies) -- I think one ate his good cashmere sweater when he was a sartorial dandy (in his youth). Spiders, wasps and beetles get walked outside -- but death to moths and flies!

BTW -- We're finally getting some real rain, now. For the past week plus my long distance friends have been asking about "all the rain you're getting" and we've had barely a few sprinkles. Now, it's coming down like it's being shot from a firehose! Love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Two Female Painted Buntings at the feeder.. the one has a who are you attitude.... only one male in the area.
Audubon Auto Bird Cam 8mp.. Taken while I was in Fl

Old 07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Found this cicada attached to my lime tree in the backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Fascinating, I've always wondered what they look like. (The C-D police won't let me rep anyone this AM, apparently I've been too generous? )

It's that time of year. Didja know some places only have cicadas every 17 or 13 years. The annual ones are called dog day cicadas.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
It was written on the bottom of his little shell....... Real he looked like a "Harold" I'm a senior and I name my animals & birds. Have a tendency of talking too them also....
I thought maybe it was sewn into the label of his tee-shirt.

Btw talking to the animals is a sure sign of sanity. I've always talked to pets and even if they don't understand, they listen.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I thought maybe it was sewn into the label of his tee-shirt.

Btw talking to the animals is a sure sign of sanity. I've always talked to pets and even if they don't understand, they listen.
No in his " Turtleneck Sweeter " .........

Just waiting for the day I get sass back comment from a animal.......

Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
pretty! pretty! oh so pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn tin man View Post
two female painted buntings at the feeder.. The one has a who are you attitude.... Only one male in the area.
Audubon auto bird cam 8mp.. Taken while i was in fl

Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Two Female Painted Buntings at the feeder.. the one has a who are you attitude.... only one male in the area.
Audubon Auto Bird Cam 8mp.. Taken while I was in Fl
I've always wanted to see these -- how fortunate you are! I love FL's birding. Texas, too. It is beyond spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It's that time of year. Didja know some places only have cicadas every 17 or 13 years. The annual ones are called dog day cicadas.
I thought I had heard that, and then so many have told me they come out every year I thought I'd misunderstood. It never occurred to me there was more than one kind. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Mr. Painted Bunting.... No longer in Florida, Now high on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee and many more birds here than in Florida. This area covers 2-3 fly ways for the birds that migrate. Plus all the other local birds.
Yes the Painted Bunting is one of those very unique wonders of nature.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Mr. Painted Bunting.... No longer in Florida, Now high on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee and many more birds here than in Florida. This area covers 2-3 fly ways for the birds that migrate. Plus all the other local birds.
Yes the Painted Bunting is one of those very unique wonders of nature.
Oh my Stars! Isn't he a treasure! Thank you, so much, Mr. TN Tin Man. You are the best.

You know, I was very impressed with what I saw of the Tennessee River Valley, but sadly we didn't get enough time to really explore. Now I have to go back!

(Bigun is from Bone Cave, TN, but Mrs1885 delivered him to us when we were in Indianapolis.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature