Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

I saw a flock of birds settling for the night in some trees. More and more just kept coming out of the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
There's no breeze in the yard right now, but my lavender are bobbing. When I look closely, I see tiny little bee bodies visiting each blossom... I like that.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
This happened a long time ago but my kids think it's so funny..they will prolly tell this story at my Funeral. So, it's early Sunday morning and I am drinking my morning tea on the porch (one of my fav things to do.) I see a new boulder in the yard and go over to investigate..it is a new deer..with spots and everything. It is so weak and pitiful..I take it into the house and try to call Animal Rescue..too early and it's Sunday. I make a makeshift bottle and try to feed it skim milk...it just runs out of it's mouth. Meanwhile the deer are gathering in the tree line...I take the poor thing over to my MIL's next door.. the deer follow me ..in the tree line...We do stuff like listen to it's heart..look in it's mouth.. run a light over it's eyes..can't really find an injury but it just lays there eyes all glazed over. I open the door to take the poor thing home and there is a deer on the porch looking in the window. The deer runs back to the middle of the lawn about 20 feet from the tree line. My husband tells me that might be it's mother and to lay it down close to her and see what happens. I tell him no I think she abandoned it because it's dying. But to humor him I start for the Momma deer...she bolts into the trees and you can hear the crashing as she is running for her life. I get to where the Momma was standing lay her dying baby on the ground and walk back to the house. I am standing by the house now and watching the baby. It is just where I left it hasn't moved an inch. I go back to pick it up since the Momma obviously did abandon it. I got almost close enough to touch it when it jumped up...shook itself and practically flew into the trees. I have seen lots of stuff go from life to death but from death to life so fast?? Never. I was so startled that as I stepped back I fell landing square on my butt. My husband laughed so hard he had coffee coming out his nose. To this day I don't know if he was laughing at me or the baby deer.
Most large domestic / wild animals when drop several feet too the ground during birth.Think of the poor giraffe baby he must fall at least 8 feet too the ground. Not a easy way into life,this some times takes a while too get all systems up and moving. Some thing too see either on the farm or in the wild..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Some thing too see either on the farm or in the wild..
My mom was a farm girl, born in 1930. She was always taking my little sister and I out to the woods, the fields, streams and rivers. She'd turn over rocks and logs and show us all sorts of critters, though she never had any interest in birds. Actually didn't care for birds. She always taught us if we found baby anythings to leave them where they were. Mother Nature would take care of her own.

That never made much of an impression on my sister. She brought home baby field mice, birds, jars or coffee cans of crawdads, salamanders... the list goes on. She never brought home a deer.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
A few weeks ago we had a mom and father robin nesting in our deck.

We watched the babies hatch and then watched them get fed and guarded by the mom and dad robin.

Finally we watched them one by one leave the nest and take to the sky.

It was kind of cool watching the little birds grow and the whole thing only lasted a week or so.

We still see the mom bird but the dad and the babies are long gone.

I did happen to see the mom bird get in a fight with a gray squirrel and have never seen that happen before but she swooped down and flapped her wings all around the squirrel.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM
bjh

^
The other day I entered our front door and a bird that had been sitting on the light next to it flew away.

I've noticed a lot of birds' nests in or on buildings. It's good to see they ca do their thing in peace.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I've noticed a lot of birds' nests in or on buildings. It's good to see they ca do their thing in peace.
It's gratifying to me to know that (some) of nature can find a way to survive our destruction of their habitat. My mother often told me of sightings reported IN Tucson of coyote, cougar, deer, gila, javalenas, etc.

Once while driving home through Redmond -- quite a busy section called Bear Creek, I saw a deer eating grass from the median. Thousands of cars were zooming past at 35+ mph and she stood munching away. I slowed when I saw her, said a prayer for her and rolled on.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM
bjh

^
Don't know how many deer I've seen.

For a few years I drove a truck for a living and enjoyed seeing the deer come out to graze, usually at night. Never like to see casualties though.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's gratifying to me to know that (some) of nature can find a way to survive our destruction of their habitat. My mother often told me of sightings reported IN Tucson of coyote, cougar, deer, gila, javalenas, etc.

Once while driving home through Redmond -- quite a busy section called Bear Creek, I saw a deer eating grass from the median. Thousands of cars were zooming past at 35+ mph and she stood munching away. I slowed when I saw her, said a prayer for her and rolled on.
I was sure what a gila is but I did have to look up javelena. I always worry when I see deer eating on road side, especially when it's one or two fawns.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
Don't know how many deer I've seen.

For a few years I drove a truck for a living and enjoyed seeing the deer come out to graze, usually at night. Never like to see casualties though.
I mourn each road kill. It just seems like such a failure of humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I was sure what a gila is but I did have to look up javelena. I always worry when I see deer eating on road side, especially when it's one or two fawns.
Probably I could've taken time for spell check!

As kids, Grampa used to take us out in his old International Jeep and we'd drive the country roads through woods and fields. One day going through the woods a doe leapt across the road ahead of us, so we slowed because we know they don't always travel alone. As we crept along with the windows down -- alert, we heard a soft "baaaaa" very similar to our lambs on the farms. We looked in that direction and saw her spotted fawn, splayed legged and crying its little eyes out. On the other side stood the doe, watching. Very, very slowly, Grampa crept forward, passed from between them, and then a few yards further we stopped to peer out the back window. The doe had to step into the road to encourage it to cross. The second she did, it leaped across and in a flash they were both gone!

I will never forget that "baaaaaa." Every break of its heart was enunciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature