Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I mourn each road kill. It just seems like such a failure of humanity.
it's sad.

there's a little section of road in central oklahoma that for some reason seemed to attract every critter in a 5 mile radius to come in and get squished by a car; in a 3-day period i saw within a 1-mile stretch of 2-laner:

armadillos
skunks
possums
raccoons
at least 3 kinds of snakes
tarantulas
turtles
frogs
cottontails
prairie dogs
porcupines

-all mowed down by passing cars.

there was pretty much a little dead body every 20 feet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM

19,104 posts, read 16,474,037 times
This isn't my photograph but I saw it online and had to share it here. The caption on this read, "photograph captures the split second before a wave breaks on a beach in Hawaii as the sun shines in the background." The timing of this was perfect. A second too soon or too late and this would not have happened. Just perfect! (© CJ Kale/Lava Light Gallery/Caters News Agency) I just wanted to share it here. No copyright infringement.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Wild Thistle in full bloom..

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's sad. there's a little section of road in central oklahoma that for some reason seemed to attract every critter in a 5 mile radius to come in and get squished by a car; in a 3-day period i saw within a 1-mile stretch of 2-laner:
... -all mowed down by passing cars. there was pretty much a little dead body every 20 feet
A few years ago a man was run over on the I405 north of Seattle, I don't recall how many cars they estimated that hit him before the police could have his remains removed. I think of it every time I hear some braggart boasting about how they never drive less than 70 on the highway.

We get in such a hurry to get some place that we forget who we are on the way there.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
Default ...A One-Day Drive (Wild-Life Tour) in Western Montana.............

Yesterday 2 "two old Fogey friends" of mine, my Brittany and I drove 460 miles (15 hours) through several mountain ranges...over several "passes" and through several towns and had the good fortune to see the following:.....................

.....left the Bitterroot Valley at 8am...drove up the Skalkaho Road over Skalkaho Pass (Sapphire Mountains) and down into the Phillipsburg and Flink Creek Valley and through the Long John Mountains into Phillipsburg, MT....ate breakfast and then proceeded on to Georgetown Lake, past Silver Lake and on into Anaconda by driving through the Flint Creek Range.

Left Anaconda and went south in the Beaverhead N.F through Suragloaf mountain, and Mount Haggin Wild Life Mgt Area and then parrelled the Big Hole River to the town of Wise River...Then took Forest Service Road #484 for about 50 miles south through the Pioneer Mountains, Elk Horn Hot Springs and the old mining town of Polaris, then junctioned with Hwy 278 & on into Dillon, Montana. Just outside of Dillon, had the opportunity to climb up to the top of the "rock formation" that Lewis & Clark and Sacsjawea(sp?) climbed up to get their bearings and figure wherethey would go next. The State has a 6 foot diameter beautifully carved Granite Compass face set in the rock showing the various points that L&C wanted to determine. Its about 150 feet up above all the surronding area.....you can see Mountain ranges etc that are over 100 miles waay.

50 minutes shopping & visiting in Dillion and then south on to Clark Canyou Dam & Reservoir and crossed the Continental Divide ....came back north and ate supper at Historic Dell, MT. Then on to Rattlesnake Creek (1st place Gold was discovered in MT..near Bannack)..up and over Badger Pass and continued on Hwy 278 again going toward Jackson, over Big Hole Pass and on to Jackson, MT. ...Left Jackson, MT (Jackson Hot Springs Lodge) and parrelled the Big Hole River on into Wisdom, MT.

A long but great One-Day trip.............................You MUST be very careful of Wildlife on the Highways and roads............at dusk we had (3) close calls when diving through heavily wooded areas.

Left Wisdom by getting on to Hwy 43 heading west toward Big Hole National Battlefield, Chief Joseph Pass and Lost Trail Pass.....at Lost trail pass (crossed Continental Divide again) picked up Hwy 93 (at Mile Marker #1) and headed on down into the Bitterroot Valley following the B.R. River for 56 miles .

Totals of what we observed during the one day trip:

.....about 50 Antelope;;about 66 deer;...about 40 Cow Elk and one BIG Bull in full velvet & 3 spikes(up close & personal)--like 12 inches in front of bumper when a calf lost her footing as she and mama bolted across in front of us.......One beautiful Grey Fox; a couple of coyotes; 2 Bald Eagles; at least 35 nesting Osprey on their nests with babies; 5 Tundra Swans and hundreds of Canada Geese & other waterfowl...........And One Western Diamond Back rattlesnake that we ran over on the Highway.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Don't look now lady but there's something on your leg!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,392,781 times
I took a drive about 1/2 hr. from where I live last week and saw a number of deer, some nice bucks in velvet and a pair of wild turkeys with a whole bunch of little babies running around.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
...A One-Day Drive (Wild-Life Tour) in Western Montana.............

.....about 50 Antelope;;about 66 deer;...about 40 Cow Elk and one BIG Bull in full velvet & 3 spikes(up close & personal)--like 12 inches in front of bumper when a calf lost her footing as she and mama bolted across in front of us.......One beautiful Grey Fox; a couple of coyotes; 2 Bald Eagles; at least 35 nesting Osprey on their nests with babies; 5 Tundra Swans and hundreds of Canada Geese & other waterfowl...........And One Western Diamond Back rattlesnake that we ran over on the Highway.
That's an amazing trip and a whole lot of animals to see in one day! Pics?

Except for a couple of chameleons climbing on the lanai, about all I could see yesterday in Tampa was gray skies and rain.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
...As kids, Grampa used to take us out in his old International Jeep and we'd drive the country roads through woods and fields. One day going through the woods a doe leapt across the road ahead of us, so we slowed because we know they don't always travel alone. As we crept along with the windows down -- alert, we heard a soft "baaaaa" very similar to our lambs on the farms. We looked in that direction and saw her spotted fawn, splayed legged and crying its little eyes out. On the other side stood the doe, watching. Very, very slowly, Grampa crept forward, passed from between them, and then a few yards further we stopped to peer out the back window. The doe had to step into the road to encourage it to cross. The second she did, it leaped across and in a flash they were both gone!

I will never forget that "baaaaaa." Every break of its heart was enunciated.
Well, he/she made it. I wish there was a way to stop the carnage that does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Don't look now lady but there's something on your leg!
Somethiing warm and fuzzy!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
That is absolutely gorgeous! It would look great enlarged and hanging on a wall! I recently came across a similar pic and liked it so much I found a reason to add it to a star post on Community Chat.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...as-22-a-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This isn't my photograph but I saw it online and had to share it here. The caption on this read, "photograph captures the split second before a wave breaks on a beach in Hawaii as the sun shines in the background." The timing of this was perfect. A second too soon or too late and this would not have happened. Just perfect! (© CJ Kale/Lava Light Gallery/Caters News Agency) I just wanted to share it here. No copyright infringement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Wild Thistle in full bloom..
Pretty in Pink!
Quote:

As kids, Grampa used to take us out in his old International Jeep and we'd drive the country roads through woods and fields. One day going through the woods a doe leapt across the road ahead of us, so we slowed because we know they don't always travel alone. As we crept along with the windows down -- alert, we heard a soft "baaaaa" very similar to our lambs on the farms. We looked in that direction and saw her spotted fawn, splayed legged and crying its little eyes out. On the other side stood the doe, watching. Very, very slowly, Grampa crept forward, passed from between them, and then a few yards further we stopped to peer out the back window. The doe had to step into the road to encourage it to cross. The second she did, it leaped across and in a flash they were both gone!

I will never forget that "baaaaaa." Every break of its heart was enunciated.
I feel the same about the emotion of warm blooded animals. Mama doe came just far enough onto the scary road for encouragement. Mother love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature