Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times

Advertisements

^seems like those cubs had a long ways to jump down, and a bear isn't exactly made for that.. but looks like they made it ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This isn't my photograph but I saw it online and had to share it here. The caption on this read, "photograph captures the split second before a wave breaks on a beach in Hawaii as the sun shines in the background." The timing of this was perfect. A second too soon or too late and this would not have happened. Just perfect! (© CJ Kale/Lava Light Gallery/Caters News Agency) I just wanted to share it here. No copyright infringement.
I searched for the photographer info you included and found a lot more of their fabulous pics on this link. Each is stunning and oh so beautiful!
Wellen werden zu Kunstwerken - WEB.DE

Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
They should get a welder to cut a cub sized door at the bottom.
I noticed in our travels that many locations around the country use animal proof containers, unlike the dumpster shown, that require you to put your hand into a slot to open the door -- more of a chute, that springs shut and locks as soon as you let it go.

Not only is entrapment a danger for the animals, but animals that learn that populated areas are a food source are more apt to become nuisance (dangerous) and tend to be eventually destroyed. Better for everyone, including the animals, if they never get a taste of people-generated foods.

Note: this is also true for feeding wild birds. It is better to have their natural food sources, rather than provided foods, for two reasons: 1.) it has better nutritional content for their needs, and 2.) above.

Many animals that have learned to forage for people food die of starvation when it is no longer available to them.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
^
You're right. I was kidding of course. I've heard of the contraptions you describe. They're a good idea.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very cool. it's like an animal freeway!
I love those pics.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Sometimes it's not what I observe, but what I don't that makes the impression on me. Since moving here to the PNW in 1990 and hiking the many beautiful areas around it, I've noticed the dearth of wildlife seen. Oh, like Griz, if I go out far enough I've seen elk, fox, deer, jays, squirrels, a pita, marmots, osprey, coyotes, etc -- but those viewings are normally at least a three hour drive from Seattle.

In my yard, I have an abundance of birds, bees, butterflies, squirrels -- even with Bigun the wonderdog protecting his territory. Since I was laid off in March and am home so much of the day, I've grown accustomed to the thrum and chatter of it.

Yesterday, I took a break from the Accounting studies and DH took me into Seattle for a stroll. We had a very enjoyable afternoon walking Queen Anne's hilltop residential areas and business district, except I noticed ONE particular thing missing: I didn't see ONE living wild thing -- not even a squirrel or a crow! How weird is that?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
They should get a welder to cut a cub sized door at the bottom.
One problem people have in North Florida..the bear cubs use the doggie door in the house at night..

Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
One problem people have in North Florida..the bear cubs use the doggie door in the house at night..
They must have some big dogs, those cubs are not skinny tykes!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
They must have some big dogs, those cubs are not skinny tykes!
They are getting into the house late at night and eating the dogs food..along with raccoons - possums -skunks.. Nature wants in nature will get in..
People who never have camped before need too do research before camping. Especially if it's bear country..

Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Another good reason not to have a pet door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature