Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times

Advertisements

These are now showing up in South Florida as pets... On more species for the Everglades that's not need.

Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It's hard to like many bugs. Some have obvious functions, bees, spiders, etc. Roaches? Their function is to spread germs and gross us out. But did you know if a roach is touched by a human it will groom itself for hours afterwards to rid itself of *our* ick factor?! What nerve!

We're listening.
Had a raccoon board the bus one night at 2am... looking for hand out. Must have been the 12th seat behind me..cruising down the road and a little hand reached up along side my right hip...........
Flicked the over head light on... must have been 3-4 weeks old. Looking for food or mom..luckily I had no one on board.. Stopped.. and the little one got off... I went back too base camp and changed my shorts !!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
These are now showing up in South Florida as pets... On more species for the Everglades that's not need.
Why is this even allowed!? So much destruction caused by introduced species and who in their right mind would want a roach as a "pet." Double smack:

Quote:
Had a raccoon board the bus one night at 2am... looking for hand out. Must have been the 12th seat behind me..cruising down the road and a little hand reached up along side my right hip...........
Flicked the over head light on... must have been 3-4 weeks old. Looking for food or mom..luckily I had no one on board.. Stopped.. and the little one got off... I went back too base camp and changed my shorts !!
Funny. That beats turning on the light to find sasquatch!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
Quote:
American Coot
.. Otherwise known as: "Mud Hen" ??

As a kid being raised on a northern Illinois warm water lake, we had "zillions" of them in the fall during waterfowl season. Had a Lab Retriever who was great at retrieving the Mallards, Redheads & Pintails........but we didn't waste a shell on the Mud Hens...............this was during WWII and shotgun ammo was rationed, so every shell was used on something that could be part of the menu.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My Morning Glory vines are doing well- I am getting some shade and it's a nice place to have coffee in the morning....they always grow in clock wise spiral...always to the right - it reminds me of the concept of natural flow- the idea of righteousness...There are a lot of plants on my roof top garden...and a few tropical trees I set outside every year...I am rooting a couple of broken off branches - in a large crystal vase...The water is always filled to the brim...Bees and wasps like to sit on the edge and drink...

Being in the center of the city the insects and birds really like coming around..It seems that the bees don't just gather nectar but have taken to playing- they dash about- go for a little drink like children at a fountain- then they go back to what appears to be a mixture of work and play.

Once in a while a young sparrow will land on the edge and stretch it's little neck upward to have a curious look - as if to say..."This place looks interesting and comfortable" Often wondered if sparrows were just seed eaters- a moth flew into my garden being chased by a sparrow...It lost sight of the insect for a moment and sat there till it saw some movement- but it gave up and did not waste time when the insect disappeared....I have noticed that my Morning Glory vines avoid wrapping around the Sun flowers...it's as if the Sun flower has a resistance and sends off a mild poison to discourage being grown on.

At times I will see a wayward vine and will gently train it to go where I would like it to be...The hard part is - that the temperature on the roof can get so intense - that it takes three heavy waterings to keep things going- It's an artificial environment ...and takes stewardship of nature to keep it going- But in the morning when I open up my back kitchen door...I have a little heaven...and at night....I view the odd city star bright enough to come through the vines...I am proud of what I have achieved...the rest of the roof tops are barren....Maybe next year I can live in a place where nature and I don't have to struggle- a place with soil - a place where my feet can stand on the ground.

My greatest delight is the sparrow and the odd crow that flies by calling my name...as if they remember me from my childhood when I saved an injured crow...and now the grandchildren thank me...
I enjoyed reading your post, Oleg. Your roof top garden sounds delightful. I hope you get a new place where you can stand on the soil and create another beautiful garden.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
The fiercest among us would have peed their pants in the same situation! Baby raccoon just needed a little help.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My Morning Glory vines are doing well- I am getting some shade and it's a nice place to have coffee in the morning....they always grow in clock wise spiral...always to the right - it reminds me of the concept of natural flow- the idea of righteousness...There are a lot of plants on my roof top garden...and a few tropical trees I set outside every year...I am rooting a couple of broken off branches - in a large crystal vase...The water is always filled to the brim...Bees and wasps like to sit on the edge and drink...

Being in the center of the city the insects and birds really like coming around..It seems that the bees don't just gather nectar but have taken to playing- they dash about- go for a little drink like children at a fountain- then they go back to what appears to be a mixture of work and play.

Once in a while a young sparrow will land on the edge and stretch it's little neck upward to have a curious look - as if to say..."This place looks interesting and comfortable" Often wondered if sparrows were just seed eaters- a moth flew into my garden being chased by a sparrow...It lost sight of the insect for a moment and sat there till it saw some movement- but it gave up and did not waste time when the insect disappeared....I have noticed that my Morning Glory vines avoid wrapping around the Sun flowers...it's as if the Sun flower has a resistance and sends off a mild poison to discourage being grown on.

At times I will see a wayward vine and will gently train it to go where I would like it to be...The hard part is - that the temperature on the roof can get so intense - that it takes three heavy waterings to keep things going- It's an artificial environment ...and takes stewardship of nature to keep it going- But in the morning when I open up my back kitchen door...I have a little heaven...and at night....I view the odd city star bright enough to come through the vines...I am proud of what I have achieved...the rest of the roof tops are barren....Maybe next year I can live in a place where nature and I don't have to struggle- a place with soil - a place where my feet can stand on the ground.

My greatest delight is the sparrow and the odd crow that flies by calling my name...as if they remember me from my childhood when I saved an injured crow...and now the grandchildren thank me...

Lou Reed Rooftop Garden (HQ) - YouTube

Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Why is this even allowed!? So much destruction caused by introduced species and who in their right mind would want a roach as a "pet." Double smack:

Funny. That beats turning on the light to find sasquatch!
Long story... It was Halloween time, doing a function... one of my co-workers a gal.. does not like things that go bump in the night..Some one snuck on the bus in a "Gorilla Suite". While she was yacking on her cell phone and dinking her coffee at 10pm..No lights on in the bus...a big hairy black thing tapped on her shoulder............ Not a pretty sight...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.. Otherwise known as: "Mud Hen" ??

As a kid being raised on a northern Illinois warm water lake, we had "zillions" of them in the fall during waterfowl season. Had a Lab Retriever who was great at retrieving the Mallards, Redheads & Pintails........but we didn't waste a shell on the Mud Hens...............this was during WWII and shotgun ammo was rationed, so every shell was used on something that could be part of the menu.
Correct........ Marsh Hen ~ Mud Hen Depends where you live..

Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Long story... It was Halloween time, doing a function... one of my co-workers a gal.. does not like things that go bump in the night..Some one snuck on the bus in a "Gorilla Suite". While she was yacking on her cell phone and dinking her coffee at 10pm..No lights on in the bus...a big hairy black thing tapped on her shoulder............ Not a pretty sight...
I hope there was a lid on that coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature