Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

Advertisements

No such thing as a small observation

Wow, you were thinking of them & one appeared for you. Love it when that happens...a mysterious
response to your thoughts!

quote=Wild Flower;19796111]Wow. I have to agree with greatblueheron. That is incredible. It will make my observation small. LoL ;-)

I saw a red bird this morning. I was driving down the hill towards my apt. and I look up and the Redbird flies in front of me and goes into the woods... it is a windy kind of road and I could have just as easily driven the other way. (Which would be going up the hill instead of down, not as close to the woods) It was kind of cool.

One reason this made me happy was I realized the other day I hadn't seen a Redbird except in magazines or photos! No picture either. LoL Good thing I didn't have my camera. WHERE would I have pulled over?! HA[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Some really great pictures here!!!

Sorry I don't have a picture to share but I'll share an observation with you.

In front of our house is a small lake, one evening around dusk I looked out and saw movement. It was dark enough that I really couldn't see anything but when I looked toward the water I could see the reflection of a herd of deer. They were frolicking around, it almost looked as if they were skating on the water. Since it was dusk the deer were only visable when looking at the water. It really was an awsome sight. I watched until they got tired of playing and moved on.
Thank you for the description, Larksong. It must've been a real joy to see!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
This evening I had a real treat when I looked out at my birdbath. The bath has a little fountain in it, and the birds love it! This robin had already taken a dip and was preening his wet feathers when I first noticed him. He finally got all his feathers neatly back in place and then decided to plunge back into the water. So fun to watch!

After the first bath...

Finally getting dried off, but that water sure looks inviting.....

I'm goin' back in!

Ahhhhhh, feels so good!

One more splash, and I'm outta here!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
...In front of our house is a small lake, one evening around dusk I looked out and saw movement. It was dark enough that I really couldn't see anything but when I looked toward the water I could see the reflection of a herd of deer. They were frolicking around, it almost looked as if they were skating on the water. Since it was dusk the deer were only visable when looking at the water. It really was an awsome sight. I watched until they got tired of playing and moved on.
I've always liked seeing the deer gathering on the edge of a highway in the evening. Sometimes there are dozens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
This evening I had a real treat when I looked out at my birdbath. The bath has a little fountain in it, and the birds love it! This robin had already taken a dip and was preening his wet feathers when I first noticed him. He finally got all his feathers neatly back in place and then decided to plunge back into the water. So fun to watch!
Great series of pictures.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,262,915 times
I've said this before but I'll say it again, some of the best things in life are free.

The pictures and stories here back up my statment.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,084,990 times
I have a new dog I named Possum because she looked like one to me, particularly the ears.

Last night around 2 in the morning I sensed I was in bed with more than just the dogs and got up and turned the nightstand light on. Then, I saw it. The fur and the the thick tail peeking out of the covers. I whipped the sheets back and was greeted with this:

It was completely alive and well. I had to do a quick make-shift catch and release program without getting bit. Seems Possum the dog has a penchant for adopting small animals from the yard and nurturing them. Good Lord. Now I know she got the right name.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:45 PM

4,704 posts, read 3,262,915 times
OMG!!!!! Thursday, I would have had a heart attack right there on the spot. Glad you didn't get bitten.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
OMG! Surprise, Mom! Look what followed us home... can we keep him??? Please????

Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
This evening I had a real treat when I looked out at my birdbath. The bath has a little fountain in it, and the birds love it! This robin had already taken a dip and was preening his wet feathers when I first noticed him. ...

...One more splash, and I'm outta here!
Nice! Thanks for sharing. That is how I feel when I go swimming. I want to go back in but, geeee, I am so dry...

As a kid, wet = good!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

OH, so glad you & little possum & big Possum are ok! I have found weird things in my bed but never something like THIS!

Once you get past the shock...he is a cute little guy. Itty-bitty paws and funny tail.

What will Possum bring to your bed tonight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I have a new dog I named Possum because she looked like one to me, particularly the ears.

Last night around 2 in the morning I sensed I was in bed with more than just the dogs and got up and turned the nightstand light on. Then, I saw it. The fur and the the thick tail peeking out of the covers. I whipped the sheets back and was greeted with this:

It was completely alive and well. I had to do a quick make-shift catch and release program without getting bit. Seems Possum the dog has a penchant for adopting small animals from the yard and nurturing them. Good Lord. Now I know she got the right name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature