Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, me too. (I peeked over the fence this evening after Big' and I got home from our walk and the cat was nowhere to be seen. Hopefully it did go "home" to it's new owner -- according to the guy on the phone, it's former owner died.)

My great-uncle, a geologist and civil engineer was adamant that there was no such thing as global warming, and the temperature variations were simply a matter of the earth time cycles -- much too long for mankind to be able to measure or predict. That said, in my readings I found that many scientists believe we are overdue for an Ice Age, and geological samplings have shown that the last Ice Age was brought on by high temperatures. (They melted the ice caps in the tundra, causing an over-abundance of fresh water to flow into the oceans. The resulting dilution of the ocean's salinity caused an "instant" -- in geological time, onset of an Ice Age.)

Hmmm. I cannot say that my observations here in the PNW support their assertion:
"The timing of color change and leaf fall are primarily regulated by the calendar, that is, the increasing length of night. None of the other environmental influences-temperature, rainfall, food supply, and so on-are as unvarying as the steadily increasing length of night during autumn. As days grow shorter, and nights grow longer and cooler, biochemical processes in the leaf begin to paint the landscape with Nature's autumn palette."
Our days are exceedingly short in the cold season, dark when going to work and dark when leaving work, and only rarely do we have any fall color. However, the years we DO have fall color are the years it is drier than normal, and colder.
I have all ways been told.. wet season the sap is higher in the tree takes longer for the sap too reside and causing the changing and dropping of the leaf, Same goes for dry season less mositure in the tree the quicker they turn when you have a cold snap..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I have all ways been told.. wet season the sap is higher in the tree takes longer for the sap too reside and causing the changing and dropping of the leaf, Same goes for dry season less mositure in the tree the quicker they turn when you have a cold snap..
Now THAT makes PERFECT sense to me. Thanks, Tin Man!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 AM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Throughout the awful drought we had this summer, which finally seems to be over as we've had rain several times in the past couple of weeks, I've been keeping an eye on a pair of egrets. The egret couple hangs out in a swampy area in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The highway that I take to work each day runs along the edge of the wetlands. Even though the entire swamp appeared to dry up in June and July, those two egrets stuck it out. Bless their hearts! I smile every morning and evening as I pass by and see them in the trees or standing in the grass. Last Friday evening I spotted a third one and, though it was the same size as the others, I wondered whether it might be their offspring. What a delight it is, to see these beautiful birds in NW Indiana.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Throughout the awful drought we had this summer, which finally seems to be over as we've had rain several times in the past couple of weeks, I've been keeping an eye on a pair of egrets. The egret couple hangs out in a swampy area in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The highway that I take to work each day runs along the edge of the wetlands. Even though the entire swamp appeared to dry up in June and July, those two egrets stuck it out. Bless their hearts! I smile every morning and evening as I pass by and see them in the trees or standing in the grass. Last Friday evening I spotted a third one and, though it was the same size as the others, I wondered whether it might be their offspring. What a delight it is, to see these beautiful birds in NW Indiana.
What a gift. How blessed you are for it. I love egrets, and had no idea they traveled so far north.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:

They are beautiful birds. I often seen the smaller snowy egret alongside highways and sometimes in parking lots.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
They are beautiful birds. I often seen the smaller snowy egret alongside highways and sometimes in parking lots.
My favorite egret -- dancing with the waves.

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...3B366344nu0mrj

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
No dancing Egret.. Just a dancing Rosetta Spoonbill as the Egrets look on..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
No dancing Egret.. Just a dancing Rosetta Spoonbill as the Egrets look on..
Gorgeous pic! Pretty in Pink!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Throughout the awful drought we had this summer, which finally seems to be over as we've had rain several times in the past couple of weeks, I've been keeping an eye on a pair of egrets. The egret couple hangs out in a swampy area in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The highway that I take to work each day runs along the edge of the wetlands. ...
I remember seeing lots of egrets as a kid in the south.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My great-uncle, a geologist and civil engineer was adamant that there was no such thing as global warming, and the temperature variations were simply a matter of the earth time cycles -- much too long for mankind to be able to measure or predict......
Another thing we don't hear about as much is the shift of the earth's magnetic field. The force that makes a compass point north periodically reverses and causes the compass to point south for thousands of years. We don't know how long it takes for the change to occur or what all happens when it does. But it's another inevitability of the laws of physics that's happened many times over the earth's history. Scientists have said we are about due for a shift. Will it happen over years, decades, centuries or days we don't know. How ever long it'll take it could easily influence the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature