Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
found this little guy [?] crossing the street from my property to the woods across the street, and moved him over so he wouldn't get run over. at first i thought it might be the same as this one, but it's pretty clear that the patterns on the shells are very different.
I wish we had turtles. The only time I see turtles here is on the rivers and sloughs, while kayaking. Lord knows where they lay their eggs.

We came across a lot of them while traveling the Eastern states, one RV park in New Jersey was particularly abundant -- they were digging their holes right in the park's roadways. My upbringing doesn't allow me to participate in their lives, only watch, but I did say a prayer that each would finish her duties before the next rig rolled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I wish we had turtles. The only time I see turtles here is on the rivers and sloughs, while kayaking. Lord knows where they lay their eggs.

We came across a lot of them while traveling the Eastern states, one RV park in New Jersey was particularly abundant -- they were digging their holes right in the park's roadways. My upbringing doesn't allow me to participate in their lives, only watch, but I did say a prayer that each would finish her duties before the next rig rolled in.
this was only the second one i've seen all year - i think they've been scarcer due to the lack of rain. it rained a lot over the weekend, which is probably what brought this one out and about.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
found this little guy [?] crossing the street from my property to the woods across the street, and moved him by hand so he wouldn't get run over. at first i thought it might be the same as this one, but it's pretty clear that the patterns on the shells are very different.
That's what I did last time I saw a turtle. It was in the middle of the road turning turning one way then another, round and round still in the road! The road was lightly traveled and I was the only one at the time but I could see some blood on the turtle so it had already been hit. That would be the reason it was going in circles. I pulled over and when I gently took hold of the shell on each side, it was startled and all four feet pushed hard with a jump. I took him down the bank and I was happy to see him move faster toward the bottom.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,300,907 times
Turtles in my neck of the woods are on the move. Kinda makes me wonder if they know something we don't. My DH and I were driving into town last week and he stopped to move a small one off the road too. He loves turtles! Who'da thunk it? But he is crazy about protecting them. Just another reason to love the man!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
Turtles in my neck of the woods are on the move. Kinda makes me wonder if they know something we don't.
GA is pretty far north, but possibly they are reacting to the change in pressure brought on by Isaac. My sister is the cat keeper at Key West's Hemingway House (where it just passed over last night) and she tells me that its "wake" was supposed to be hitting northern FL pretty hard.

BTW -- I absolutely LOVED GA. How lucky for you to live there!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I love how you always bring something here that teaches me something I never thought of before!
Aw, shucks.

Quote:
found this little guy [?] crossing the street from my property to the woods across the street, and moved him by hand so he wouldn't get run over. at first i thought it might be the same as this one, but it's pretty clear that the patterns on the shells are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That's what I did last time I saw a turtle. It was in the middle of the road turning turning one way then another, round and round still in the road! The road was lightly traveled and I was the only one at the time but I could see some blood on the turtle so it had already been hit. That would be the reason it was going in circles. I pulled over and when I gently took hold of the shell on each side, it was startled and all four feet pushed hard with a jump. I took him down the bank and I was happy to see him move faster toward the bottom.
I wonder if he was okay.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Here's a picture I took of turtles and a goose.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Here's a picture I took of turtles and a goose.
Isn't it great how wildlife finds a way to co-exist? If one of them were human they would be trying to kill the other.

My Lhasa Apso, now gone, used to sit and "commune" with the bunnies down the street from our house. Every morning when I took him for his walk we would have to stop while he sat there with them, nose to noses. It would take a few minutes of nose wiggling and ear flicking, and then he would look up at me as if to say: "Okay, let's go."

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
i really hate seeing them out on the road b/c so many get hit. i've probably helped at least a couple dozen across various roads over the years.
in oklahoma, the vet med school students used to have a turtle rehab project where they would take in injured turtles and nurse them back to health, if possible. sometimes they would even rebuild their cracked or damaged shells with fiberglass.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,300,907 times
The leaves on my black walnut tree are already turning yellow. That's early for that tree. I also noticed my pear trees are changing too. Could it be... just maybe... FALL IS COMING?!?!!!
FALLSOME !!!!! Yippeeee !!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature