Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Nice rescue! This paragraph got to me:

Not wanting to disrupt a wild animal from nature, the crew did a quick assessment of the kit and tried to walk away. But she began to follow the sound of their footsteps, and would curl up on Hair’s boots every time they would stop.

The team did the right thing bringing her in. The mother most likely dead from the fire.
Since she's so young and unschooled on being a bobcat, she might have a better and longer life in a zoo where her presence serves an educational function. Not just since we get to see animals, but if we learn how she got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
...It must've scared the crap out of him because for awhile after that he just walked along beside me, looking but not sniffing.
Ha, ha, once "bitten," twice shy.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
I grew up in Florida, and my Mama's brother and his family lived in St.Mary's, Ga. so we were up there often as a kid. Later they moved to South Carolina, as did my Mama after my Dad passed away in 1980. But now I live in Georgia and we love the coast. Tybee Island is a favored destination for us. It's right next to Savannah. I adore Savannah! Especially down at the Cotton wharf on the river. They made it into a real tourist attraction years ago, but it's a great place to go anyway. Shops and restaurants of every kind you can imagine and the CANDY STORES!!!! Oh my mercy me! White chocolate heaven! I love watching them make the candies too! And bakeries! I'd just move right in if they'd let me get away with it!
St.Simon's island is wonderful. We have taken the family there many times.
Darien is well known for their shrimp boats and I love being able to get shrimp there fresh from the sea. When we travel down that way, I always bring our coffin sized cooler to load up on all the goodness from the sea! Just plain awesome!
Another great place to stop along the way is called, "Benton Lee's" which is a hole in the wall kind of place that serves up steaks that would make all vegan/vegitarians run away screaming! The town to find this incredible, amazing, delicious and wonderous establishment for true carnivors is in Uvalda, Ga. Here's a link. Benton Lees Steakhouse | Contact Us
If you like to watch "Swamp People", Benton Lee's had Troy and his son there recently.
..........Well Ruby, let me tell you, I really enjoyed my winter in GA and the many places I visited, the folks I met, and the many restaurants I ate at while I was there. During those 5 months I was away from my place up here in Montana, I drove a total of 7679 miles (and had my dog--a Brittany--with me every mile of the trip)....just 2900 miles alone to get to Brunswick from up here. First time ever I ate "gator tail" at a restaurant in Darien and even drove up to Savannah to eat at that restaurant owned by that blonde lady on TV (can't think of her name--you know the one with the cookin' show).

I also went down to Bell, Florida to visit a life long friend of mine that was born right there on the Swannee River (about 50 miles west of Gainesville). Stayed there about 5 days and had a great time gettin' razzed by all the locals about havin' my dog sleep in my bedroom at night.

Great part of the country and a bunch of great folks.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
bjh

^
I tell ya, the south is awesome. Don't let the yankees know.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM
bjh

^
My family was full of "blessed yankees" before we moved south.

Leaving the grocery store the other night I saw a toad hop out from some bushes onto the sidewalk. I was surprised to see a toad in such a well lit and traveled area. He saw me and hopped back under cover. Must have been out for the bugs. Go, get em, toad!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Leaving the grocery store the other night I saw a toad hop out from some bushes onto the sidewalk. I was surprised to see a toad in such a well lit and traveled area. He saw me and hopped back under cover. Must have been out for the bugs. Go, get em, toad!
When I was a little girl, Dad's grocery store (Hastings, MI) had its flats of vegetable plants on old crates next to the parking lot, under a tent-like structure, alongside the store. One day, my cousin and I discovered there were baby toads under the flats.

We collected them in a bucket and took them upstairs (where we lived in an apartment) and put them into the bathtub. After we collected a tubful, we decided that they were pretty dusty and decided to give them a bath. We filled the tub with about two inches of hot water. They swam for a very short time, and then flipped over on their backs to rest. That got boring, so we went to play something else.

Later, we heard my mother screaming.

I had the meanest mother in the whole world!

(Toads don't mind parking lots, but apparently they don't care for pools.)

Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
Quote:
^
I tell ya, the south is awesome. Don't let the yankees know.
Quote:
^
My family was full of "blessed yankees" before we moved south.
....With all due respect,.....IMHO, those folks in Darien and similiar towns were very happy to see the "Yankee Dollars" coming into their business...............I know I spent my share over 5 months: food, rent, liquor, gas, meals eaten out, gifts, trinkets, tours, boat rides, etc,etc.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 PM
bjh

A blue ribbon eel swimming off the coast of Indonesia. Kind of cool the way it swims. Don't want to find it in the bathtub, though.

Mesmerizing Blue Ribbon Eel! - Bing Videos

Old 09-01-2012, 12:02 AM
bjh

Who says birdbrains aren't smart?

Clever Bird Uses Bread As Bait - Bing Videos

Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Are you viewing tonight's Blue Moon? It's still out there! We know it's not really blue but my cheapie Nikon gives it a blue halo!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature