Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,762,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That was almost poetic, Oleg.
Those sun flowers that struggled in their roof top pots grow to beauty glory and height..and then are weighted in shame as they bow and submit to the squirrels who then take command and plunder their bloom....How was that? More poetic?

I learned a lot about life and people watching my plants this year...It was as if I was sitting in a library..What the flies did- the bees and wasps...How curious the city sparrows were...They would fly up and just look into my little Eden...and wonder...then spread the word to the other sparrows who would come and look at nature on a roof...In the middle of summer...I had a cool class bowl of water out...I would see the wasps fly from flower to flower...Then go get a drink- Just like little kids playing in the park who dash to the water fountain then return to play....Yes- Insects do play....They had the perfect and safe place to relax.

Yesterday a squirrel came across the telephone wire..They had been stealing my tomatoes all summer...This time one spotted one of my huge sunflowers ....with tender semi-mature seeds....One of the little rats...climbed on and was feasting...I came out and shooed him away...But he refused to go..he backed off a few feet and sat there- So I said to him...."Okay- go ahead - it's for you..." I went back in and he continued..to gorge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I have a digital Canon Rebel that takes great pictures. What type of camera do you use the most? Do you use the auto features or adjust focus, etc. yourself?
Canon SX10is... One lens 28mm ~ 560mm 1 step before the Rebel system . Pentax Optio W90 a little P&S with all sorts of features takes great macro shots.
Hoping Santa brings a new camera this year or next.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Three days last week, I saw the same three wild turkey at the same spot in the road. It was approximately 5 miles from the nearest town and at a crossroads. They were within 10 feet of my car when I stopped at the stop sign.

They were hens.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Three days last week, I saw the same three wild turkey at the same spot in the road. It was approximately 5 miles from the nearest town and at a crossroads. They were within 10 feet of my car when I stopped at the stop sign.

They were hens.
Figures... the local gossip corner. Really they gather and chat.. serious then move on. Most likely if you look around at that spot you should have a brush pile - hedge row- water- food source soy bean field corn field and grain. The road could have left over salt from the past winter.Most likely a less traveled road..and small gravel for the gizzard used in digestion,the small gravel acts like mill and grinds up the food aiding digestion. One reason I said grain / bean fields near by..

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Canon SX10is... One lens 28mm ~ 560mm 1 step before the Rebel system . Pentax Optio W90 a little P&S with all sorts of features takes great macro shots.
Hoping Santa brings a new camera this year or next.
If you get a picture of Santa with the old camera, most of us would consider that a nature observation so please post.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
We actually got into the 50s for an overnight low. Upper 50s, but it's a start.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
We actually got into the 50s for an overnight low. Upper 50s, but it's a start.
Yes! Low this AM: 58F; high today: 66F. We might even get rain!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
We actually got into the 50s for an overnight low. Upper 50s, but it's a start. f:
Same here on the Plateau

Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I agree with LFM. That is poetic.

I didn't know that and have been playing with it already. Thanks TN Tin Man!

GOOD MORNING ALL CD [COLOR=Dark Green]NATURE [/color]OBSERVERS!
If you have Google Earth "FREE" takes 10 min down load. You can explore the skies and the oceans.
On the tool bar top open up the planet Icon.. Fly too the moon and see where we landed and little clips on the moon landing. Fly too Mars and see the same landing sites..
On the left side tool bar look for marine icon.. then you can explore ship wrecks and submarines just look for blue and gold anchors. They have a currrent world earth quake icon
The Blue I Google has some intresting stories.. Having only the I Google checkd on the tool bar and looking and seeing the blue I logo hoover over it or click on it. The last ride of Hank Williams Sr. Starts at 25E Rogersville TN and you can follow the route..

Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
I just learned there is a burrowing owl!
Amazing!

The burrowing owl is a pint-sized bird that lives in open, treeless areas. The burrowing owl spends most of its time on the ground, where its sandy brown plumage provides camouflage from potential predators. One of Florida's smallest owls, it averages nine inches in height with a wingspan of 21 inches.
Owls - Burrowing Owl

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature