Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 01:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
I just learned there is a burrowing owl!
Amazing!

The burrowing owl is a pint-sized bird that lives in open, treeless areas. The burrowing owl spends most of its time on the ground, where its sandy brown plumage provides camouflage from potential predators. One of Florida's smallest owls, it averages nine inches in height with a wingspan of 21 inches.
Owls - Burrowing Owl
I think it might be related to the Saw-whet, which I've only ever seen in Tucson's deserts, though it is supposed to be found all over the continent. They, too, are very small and similar in features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:32 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think it might be related to the Saw-whet, which I've only ever seen in Tucson's deserts, though it is supposed to be found all over the continent. They, too, are very small and similar in features.
They're beautiful birds, all of them. I had not heard the term "burrowing owl" before and I saw it while browsing the art work where I got my favorite wall hanging titled "Santa Fe Cat Woman." I like to visit and see the artists new work and was drawn to the one at this link. She includes detail on all parts of the painting and it has several endangered creatures and the owl is one of them.

One Earth, One Family

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Just received a forwarded email from my aunt in MO, with these interesting photos taken in Colorado Springs... explaining why a couple's rain barrel kept getting emptied....

Apparently the couple didn't take issue with the offender and were happy to give up the water.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
East coast of Florida has Burrowing Owl.. old sand dunes in land.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Lightning is awesome.

Lightning fills stormy skies over Munich - PhotoBlog

Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
East coast of Florida has Burrowing Owl.. old sand dunes in land.
It must be endangered because it spends most of its time on the ground and has lost most of its habitat to humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You would love it in the Tampa Bay area! Lots of lightning here. Come on down!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
It must be endangered because it spends most of its time on the ground and has lost most of its habitat to humans.

You would love it in the Tampa Bay area! Lots of lightning here. Come on down!
West Coast of Florida Fort Myers area.. Cape Coral Burrowing Owls - CCFW Burrowing Owl Festival

Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
West Coast of Florida Fort Myers area.. Cape Coral Burrowing Owls - CCFW Burrowing Owl Festival
It has a following! That's great! Thanks TN Tin Man!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Talk about having the hair stand up on the back of your neck...

Biologist with camera captures dramatic stare-down with grizzly bear

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 AM

DH and I were walking along a riverbank from our campsite years ago, watching a herd of elk in the meadow off to our right. H redirected my attention when he said, "Is that a bear over there in the field ahead?"

I followed his pointing finger to the left of a stand of trees separating the elk from the meadow beyond, and saw what looked to my mind like a very large dog -- until it stood on its hind feet and leaned its hulking upper body forward, including huge paws. (Thankfully it was far enough distant that I could not see the claws that I knew were there.) The ruff around its jowls let me know it was a grizzly; black bears have smooth jowls.

We stood transfixed as the elk began getting nervous and started calling out to one another. It was spring and there were calves in the herd. They knew it was there, somewhere, by the way they acted.

No sooner did it drop down to all fours and start heading toward them through the trees that separated them from it, than they launched off to the right, away from it (and us, thank God!).

We didn't stick around to learn the end of the story, but backed up our path until we were certain it had not scented us, and then hightailed it back to camp!

I wouldn't let DH leave the dogs out unless we were outside, and we were very careful with our meal preparations and clean up that stay.

Never saw it, again.

On a more domestic front (or back, as it was)... we saw a Stellar Jay in our yard yesterday. They are infrequent visitors, usually to bury peanuts in the sand in our backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature