Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Hi all. I wanted to share a nature observation! I was driving down a main street in my city. I followed the curvy road and passed through the university area.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a huge cloud fly up in the air. What was that?? I pulled in a parking lot and turned back to see what I was missing!

During their next plunge! A little fuzzy but you get the idea.

The chirping and squawking gave me the answer. There must have been millions! Or at least thousands. Weelll, I know for sure there were hundreds of small black birds, all sitting on the wires above me.

Those show some of the movement- how they flew back where I had come. It seems they were moving west? It was just about dusk, I noticed the sky surrounding them. And still they chattered and played on the wires.

Not a care in the world.

BTW, someone just told me these birds are called Starlings.
The bird pictures reminds me of some scenes from that old Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Here's a natural observation you don't see very often. (couldn't resist )

Spider-Man washes windows at Tennessee children's hospital - PhotoBlog

Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I was driving down my street a few days ago, and when I passed my next-door neighbor's house I noticed this wasp nest dangling from a tree branch. I pulled into my driveway and headed next door to take some shots of this marvel of nature. The nest appears to be about 10 inches in diameter. Cool stuff!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I was driving down my street a few days ago, and when I passed my next-door neighbor's house I noticed this wasp nest dangling from a tree branch. I pulled into my driveway and headed next door to take some shots of this marvel of nature. The nest appears to be about 10 inches in diameter. Cool stuff!
That is cool! Just don't anyone poke it with a stick!

Btw PJ, how are the walnut shells in IN these days. Srsly, what do they suggest about the upcoming winter?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
That's a wonderful thing to do! Just look at that kid's face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Here's a natural observation you don't see very often. (couldn't resist )

Spider-Man washes windows at Tennessee children's hospital - PhotoBlog
Amazing! That is a marvel of nature and a beautiful pic!

Quote:

Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That is cool! Just don't anyone poke it with a stick!

Btw PJ, how are the walnut shells in IN these days. Srsly, what do they suggest about the upcoming winter?
Ah, you remembered that last year my black walnut tree predicted the extraordinarily mild winter!

This year's crop is a little more thin-skinned than normal, suggesting a fairly mild winter but much closer to normal than last year! We shall see.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Hi all. I wanted to share a nature observation! I was driving down a main street in my city. I followed the curvy road and passed through the university area.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a huge cloud fly up in the air. What was that?? I pulled in a parking lot and turned back to see what I was missing!

During their next plunge! A little fuzzy but you get the idea.

The chirping and squawking gave me the answer. There must have been millions! Or at least thousands. Weelll, I know for sure there were hundreds of small black birds, all sitting on the wires above me.

Those show some of the movement- how they flew back where I had come. It seems they were moving west? It was just about dusk, I noticed the sky surrounding them. And still they chattered and played on the wires.

Not a care in the world.

BTW, someone just told me these birds are called Starlings.
These are some fantastic shots, Wild Flower! I've been noticing tons of starlings flocking around here, too, and often sitting on wires as in your photos. But never in such numbers are what you witnesses! Thanks for sharing your story and photos!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,745 times
Quote:
Ah, you remembered that last year my black walnut tree predicted the extraordinarily mild winter!

This year's crop is a little more thin-skinned than normal, suggesting a fairly mild winter but much closer to normal than last year! We shall see.

I did not know about black walnuts and predicting weather! Awesome info right there!!!
This year mine have a rather thick skin, and the insides were kinda odd looking. Does that mean anything I really don't know much about this stuff, since this is my first and only black walnut tree.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
bjh

Quote:

Thanks for the 411 on the walnut situation there.

A somewhat stronger winter than last year sounds right on point.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 AM
bjh

Some foliage color

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature