Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Since it's a state park, I was assuming that it's not legal to take anything off the island. I just browsed and a site for the park has info that includes shell collecting along the beach is particularly good in the winter. That means it's okay but if I see people out there looking like they're gather loads for commercial use, I'll go get a ranger! A lady at the Nature Center said that Caladesi and Honeymoon Islands were one larger barrier island until a hurricane in 1921 washed out the sand in the middle, breaking the barrier island into two separate units. She also said Honeymoon Island can be reached by walking or biking from Clearwater but it's about five miles. No five mile walking for me but that's a good ride on a bicycle for lots of people.

There are many things to see, for sure, and such lovely surroundings to relax and snap pics. The big birds will be easy to spot and for the rest, I just need to be still and observe. I'm determined to get my own pic of the Great Blue Heron!
This was the deal a couple years ago... they were not just collecting shells by hand but bring in heavy equipment and just dredging the low tide area and the dunes.. some where on the West Coast of Florida and want too say Sanibel.. I will post if I find the article..

No live shells will be taken !

Shelling and Beaches on Sanibel Island

When I lived on the Space Coast Cocoa Beach I would look for Sea Beans..
http://www.beachhunter.net/articles/...-beginners.htm

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 12-25-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Santa's reindeer are outfitted with horse shoes that have a non-skid rubber.
That makes sense. After all sled dogs wear those little boots.

Quote:
I made my first visit to Honeymoon Island today. It remained overcast and still is so I drove around the island for about an hour. They're open every day of the year and you'd think the two cafes would also be open. But they were not and I was hungry so I didn't walk the nature trail. There are lots of ospreys on the island with their big tall nests so I will include osprey pics on my next visit ... which will be when the sun is out. It's only a few minutes from my home and a lovely drive over.

Caladesi Island is also beautiful and ferries leave from Honeymoon Island. I will do that one day. I like taking pics and just enjoying nature. The roar of the surf is like an old friend. There are so many things to see on this small island along with the Osprey that we already know is the Ultimate Fisher - Gopher Tortoise, Great Blue Heron, Egrets, Ducks, Great Horned Owl, Florida Mockingbird, American Bald Eagle, Box Turtle, Red Wing Black Bird and sea gulls, of course. There are signs that it's possible to encounter a diamondback rattler in the brush.

I took only a few pics since everything would have the grayish haze. I insist on the sparkling glow of the sun when taking pics at the beach! I'll be back! You can see how white the sand is. There are some places on the beach full of rocks and others loaded with shells. Those wooden benches are peppered all over the island. It's a lovely place and from comments I find online, it's never crowded like other touristy beaches.
Cool. Be safe out there, Dallas Kitty.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Growing up in 1950-60's in the Finger Lakes of New York I would encounter several times a years deer trying too swim across the lake which is up too five miles wide.. some unfortunately would not make it and would be washed up on the beach..
That's insane. I've never heard of a deer swimming across a lake!

Quote:
That use too be the place after a storm for shell collecting...do they still collect shells.. I know they where having problems years ago with the commercial shell collectors tearing up the beach and dunes in that area..
*******s! Why must everything be about $$ to so many in this country!?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
In addition to deer, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Little Blue Herons, Tri-colored herons, Woodstorks, Great Blue Herons

I have just seen a BOBCAT, in the wild!

First time for me, so what a great experience! Beautiful animal, just sauntering along....

made my day~

Wow cool! How did you know his name was Bob?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's insane. I've never heard of a deer swimming across a lake!

*******s! Why must everything be about $$ to so many in this country!?
One reason I got out of Florida.. Every one wanted too live like a rock star..with Bling Bling..

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
FYI: Bob Cats.....have bobed tails....

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM
bjh

Quote:
FYI: Bob Cats.....have bobed tails....
And here I thought they were Robertcats.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
I came across this story of the blind dog that finds it's way home again after a Alaska snowstorm. Interesting............................

Lost, blind dog finds way home in Alaska snowstorm

Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I came across this story of the blind dog that finds it's way home again after a Alaska snowstorm. Interesting............................

Lost, blind dog finds way home in Alaska snowstorm
That's an amazing story. The musher wasn't able to pick her up (I'm wondering why he couldn't fasten her to the sled but I know nothing about dog sleds) but she was able to follow his scent 14 miles to his house. No frost bite in 40 below temp. I'm thinking something besides her bloodline was watching over her. That's a very happy family and maybe now they will get her chipped.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
This was the deal a couple years ago... they were not just collecting shells by hand but bring in heavy equipment and just dredging the low tide area and the dunes.. some where on the West Coast of Florida and want too say Sanibel.. I will post if I find the article..

No live shells will be taken !

Shelling and Beaches on Sanibel Island

When I lived on the Space Coast Cocoa Beach I would look for Sea Beans..
Seabean Collecting for Beginners - How and Where to Find Seabeans
Very interesting links! I didn't know that sea beans originate in a tropical rain forest! I'll do some looking at the shells and sea beans on future visits to the island.

All the commercial dredging is probably why sections of the beach are loaded with rocks. I like to think the state is not allowing any of it on any of the beaches, state park or not. Picking up shells by hand is one thing but all that big equipment .... no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I have just seen a BOBCAT, in the wild!

First time for me, so what a great experience! Beautiful animal, just sauntering along....

made my day~
The bobcat is such a beautiful animal. I never saw one in my Texas neighborhood but they were seen not far from me. A co-worker had pics from a neighbor two doors down with two bobcats walking the fence looking in for something to eat. They were so hungry their ribs were sticking out. Any cat or dog left in the yards would have been a goner.

Quote:
Quote:
And here I thought they were Robertcats.
You two are so funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature