Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,448,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
Did the tree smoke a cigarette after?
LOL. That was my first thought when I saw it happen, " did the tree have an orgasm?" Really, is all this pollen just botanical ejaculate? Spring sprung early here, late January and early February and now that we have been getting days in the 70's and higher for over a week, everything is blooming and the sky has a muddy, hazy look to it ant the sun is a golden yellow. It is not smoke, we are too far from the fires for that and we are on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Saw the sweetest thing this afternoon. I've spread a bit of sunflower seeds around the birdbath in front of my kitchen window. Mrs. Cardinal was on the birdbath taking a dainty drink, and Mr. Cardinal was on the ground checking out the seeds, in all his resplendent crimson glory.

I saw him jump up to the birdbath to her side, with a seed in his mouth, and he fed it to her.
I have seen this before, but it's just so adorable!

I love Cardinals!

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,228,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Saw the sweetest thing this afternoon. I've spread a bit of sunflower seeds around the birdbath in front of my kitchen window. Mrs. Cardinal was on the birdbath taking a dainty drink, and Mr. Cardinal was on the ground checking out the seeds, in all his resplendent crimson glory.

I saw him jump up to the birdbath to her side, with a seed in his mouth, and he fed it to her.
I have seen this before, but it's just so adorable!

I love Cardinals!
A lovely nature viewing! Things like that make me wish I had a built-in camera!

I've enjoyed watching how sweet the MNBound eagles are with each other.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
^
^
Maybe Mrs. Cardinal is eating for two.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Lovely story and analogy....that innate protection of the young whether bird or human is a powerful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grettastone View Post
The Spring rain had set in again here in Tennessee and as I looked out of my kitchen windows something caught my eye in the huge double Pecan tree that has some limbs around 14 ft. up that are so close to the back of my house that I can see Birds very close up.
I have lived here 20 years and altho we have had some Dove mates show up quite frequently I had never saw this before.
I was looking at their backs,two adult Doves with a small one in between them.I could tell they were protecting the little one from the soaking rain.The adults were very close to the youngster and seemed to be extending their inner wings out somewhat over him/her.I watched them for quite awhile and was touched by their love and protection.
I know they must have had a nice view from up there through the rain looking down over things.
I know the stress I was under that day seemed to disappear for the moment while watching this little Dove family.
My concerns were worry for our only liveing child.Its almost like there was a little answer there for me as well.Just keep my son close at this time and do all we can to protect him for sometimes no matter how old they are they still need the two that loves them most to hold them up and help them through.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Wonderful description of that day...a beautiful area and a fun hunt for geodes...and mayapples to boot...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
No photos, but I spent today collecting geodes in the Kentucky Knobs, near Junction City and Gravel Switch - yes, those are real places.

The Knobs are just what they sound like: heavily wooded, very green large hills, deeply cut by narrow but rich valleys bisected by creeks filled with beautiful, quartz crystal filled geodes.

Today, the sky was blue, the breeze was light, the sun was warm, and dogwood and redbud were in full bloom in the Knobs. Spring-fed, jade-green Rolling Fork was running swift and clear between its flowery banks - phlox and mayapples were the most profuse wildflowers today. A nice lady gave me permission to collect geodes from her stretch of Rolling Fork (which is only partially navigable, and its banks are privately owned, anyway) and even pointed me toward an area where geodes of all sizes accumulate on a shoal.

So my back is a bit achy, but I have about fifty beautiful new-to-me geodes to clean up, install in my garden, and enjoy both for their beauty and for the memory of this remarkable day.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 AM

All that splashing is fun to watch-glad you had a great day...planting & hanging out w/birds-yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Planted flowers today. Mr. Bluebird landing close by and a young, juvenile, cardinal sipping water from our bird bath. Last night, we watched a big, fat robin taking a bath. I mean splashing like no one's business. Love the birds!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Does anyone know how long Morning Doves incubate their egg? I have a Morning Dove sitting most of the day in the corner of my eavesthrough and throughout the day the pair exchanges duty to watch the nest, while the other one eats and drinks from our bird bath. I do know they have 2 times young ones, because I see them always sitting camouflaged under our tree on the mulch, waiting for a parent to come to feed them.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Does anyone know how long Morning Doves incubate their egg? I have a Morning Dove sitting most of the day in the corner of my eavesthrough and throughout the day the pair exchanges duty to watch the nest, while the other one eats and drinks from our bird bath. I do know they have 2 times young ones, because I see them always sitting camouflaged under our tree on the mulch, waiting for a parent to come to feed them.
I googled it......everything I read says 14 days.

What a cool thing to be able to watch!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I googled it......everything I read says 14 days.

What a cool thing to be able to watch!
Thank you for your information...looks like soon we have a new addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature