Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,392,781 times

Advertisements

I saw some deer today eating the lush spring grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Squirrels. I keep seeing squirrels. On my birdfeeder in the front yard, tormenting my dog in the back yard, dead in the road everywhere.

No hummingbirds, no finches or wrens nesting.

Just lots of squirrels.

Sigh.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,448,533 times
This was from about six years ago. I was walking my dog at the park here in town that abuts the river bluffs. I was taking pictures of all these seals on the beach that appeared to be looking in my direction. I took three photos as I usually do in case one is blurry. While editing the photos, my spouse asked me what was in the water. I zoomed in and it was a shark. It was not in the first or the third photo, just the second. I showed the picture to one of my clients and he asked me the date I saw the shark and when I told him, he said he was down at the river watching the seals and saw the shark swim back and forth about seven times and that all the seals were watching the shark. It is the first and last time I have seen a shark in the river.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-shark-1.jpg  

Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM

541 posts, read 1,140,382 times
Yesterday at pond I walk my dog around, I saw multitude of wildlife. Geese(haha, when I tried to write geese, it auto corrected to geezers, LOL) ducks, turtles, carp.

Last spring someone dropped 4 white ducks into pond. We have had several volunteers feed them corn over the winter as they were very young and not able to care for themselves. So, yesterday at pond, I see the 3 white ducks(one didn't make it) and 3 female mallards hanging together. A male and female mallard were hanging together and 2 more males were hanging out with the geese. The 3 female mallards wanted nothing to do with the males. That song by Beyonce popped into my head "all the single ladies" you could tell they wanted nothing to do with the males pretty green heads. The 3 girls would swim away whenever the males swam toward. One pair did match up, I'm wondering why the girls don't like the other males? I'll never know, I don't speak duck

Old 06-02-2013, 07:56 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,823,500 times
Drinking our coffee in the morning, we have a bluebird that insists that the reflection in the patio door is more trees, and repeatedly tries to fly through the glass to get to the trees. The other morning, we heard a loud tapping, and thought it was him. We looked, and it was Pileated woodpecker tapping on our porch railing. I tried to ease over to get the camera, but he saw me, and was gone. That was a big bird! Sometimes, we get hummingbirds in our garage, as well. We have windows in the back of the garage, and they see the trees through the windows, and think they can fly on through to get to them.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,564,654 times
Saw a pileated woodpecker in my yard--pecking at an old tree stump where the tree was cut off. They are beauties!

Just read poster above, wow, must be a woodpecker type of day!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This was from about six years ago. I was walking my dog at the park here in town that abuts the river bluffs. I was taking pictures of all these seals on the beach that appeared to be looking in my direction. I took three photos as I usually do in case one is blurry. While editing the photos, my spouse asked me what was in the water. I zoomed in and it was a shark. It was not in the first or the third photo, just the second. I showed the picture to one of my clients and he asked me the date I saw the shark and when I told him, he said he was down at the river watching the seals and saw the shark swim back and forth about seven times and that all the seals were watching the shark. It is the first and last time I have seen a shark in the river.
Great pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Yesterday at pond I walk my dog around, I saw multitude of wildlife. Geese(haha, when I tried to write geese, it auto corrected to geezers, LOL) ducks, turtles, carp.

Last spring someone dropped 4 white ducks into pond. We have had several volunteers feed them corn over the winter as they were very young and not able to care for themselves. So, yesterday at pond, I see the 3 white ducks(one didn't make it) and 3 female mallards hanging together. A male and female mallard were hanging together and 2 more males were hanging out with the geese. The 3 female mallards wanted nothing to do with the males. That song by Beyonce popped into my head "all the single ladies" you could tell they wanted nothing to do with the males pretty green heads. The 3 girls would swim away whenever the males swam toward. One pair did match up, I'm wondering why the girls don't like the other males? I'll never know, I don't speak duck
Cool

Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM

541 posts, read 1,140,382 times
I saw the white ducks fending for their own food today. All 3 would rush the fish to the bank and then try and catch them. They worked as a group.

While they were doing this the wild ducks were hanging in the shade, with the geese! It makes me wonder if the wild ducks are better at that kind of fishing/eating and the white ducks are still getting hang of it so it takes them longer, to get a full belly.

IDK

Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM

515 posts, read 774,346 times
I did a nest check today on my purple martin colony. I tapped the telescopic pole with my hand and give it a little shake to make sure the martins were out as I always do and nothing happened. Reasonably sure they were all out feeding, I began let the house down and a martin exited and perched on a nearby power line. I continued to led it down and opened the door revealing 3 nest cavities with 2 more female martins sitting on their nests. I promptly closed the door and raised the house back to it's original position and they never bothered to exit. A nest check last week revealed 32 eggs in 7 nest with at least 3 more nests being constructed. Amazing birds in that they migrate here from Brazil and are nearly 100% dependent on humans for housing. By mid August they're on their migration route back to Brazil. I love to sit out on my deck or work in my garden and listen to all the chatter.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Today we went on our first kayak adventure for the year, driving down to the base of our hill and putting in on the slough that connect Lake Washington with Lake Sammamish, aka Sammamish Slough. We saw the expected mallards and babies, and were amused to watch one mama mallard teaching her brood to dunk. They splashed a lot of water and came up further than I think she expected them to go, and she would have to call them back and start the lesson again.

There was a whole flotilla of Canadian geese with their young, much older goslings than the mallard tykes. The group eyed us suspiciously and floated on.

There was one mother Merganser with her brood, tiny fluffballs with their elongated beaks. So cute. They stayed close to the shore of the opposing bank from us, not taking any chances.

There were a few of the ubiquitous heron; they have nests in the vicinity, so we always see them on the slough.

What we don't usually see that we saw were red-winged blackbirds, red wing tops flashing, trilling their song with vigor. We sat quiet in our boats to just watch their chests heave, the red tops flare, and the song belt out.

With all that, the biggest sighting was a pair of courting bald eagles. I first sighted the one because a crow was having a fit that the massive raptor was sitting in that tree. Then I noticed a second a few branches lower, and further out to the edge. Then the two took off into the air and began their "dance." First, he just flew after her around the big blue sky. After a few passes around, he finally got closer and they began to fly in sync. Round and round, higher and higher, closer and closer. It was breath-taking.

We couldn't stay to watch the ending. I've only heard about how high they fly, and how they plummet toward the ground once their dance is culminated. I would've liked to stay, but we did not.

That was my wildlife day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature