Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times

Advertisements

I have some new neighbors. They have kids. They have taken up camp right outside my door.

Mom doesn't seem to particularly like having her photo taken. I had to hide around the corner of the kitchen, lay down on the floor in a very awkward angle with my head smashed up against the dog crate. It was comfortable for about 10 seconds. I managed to snap one off before she caught me...

But then she saw me. If you look close, (I know, it's blurry, she was not having it), you can see that she's looking right at me as she is JUST leaping to take flight.

I decided to leave it alone for now. I don't want her too upset to come tend to her eggs. I put out some tiny bread pieces as a token of my appreciation and an apology.

I no longer suffer any delusional ideas that she built that nest there because she trusted me. Clearly she does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have some new neighbors. They have kids. They have taken up camp right outside my door.

Mom doesn't seem to particularly like having her photo taken. I had to hide around the corner of the kitchen, lay down on the floor in a very awkward angle with my head smashed up against the dog crate. It was comfortable for about 10 seconds. I managed to snap one off before she caught me...

I decided to leave it alone for now. I don't want her too upset to come tend to her eggs. I put out some tiny bread pieces as a token of my appreciation and an apology.

I no longer suffer any delusional ideas that she built that nest there because she trusted me. Clearly she does not.
3Wolves, thank you so much for sharing. I think you are right, though you were obviously doing what most people would not to honor her space, she still felt anxious about it. I believe she does trust you, but she's also concerned about your not honoring that trust.

I wish I had a chickadee nest! Think of all the great memories you will have, listening to those little peeps.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
When that nest was first being built, I thought it was going to be a wasp nest. I thought about taking it down but, man, even little wasps need a place to live so I couldn't do it.

As the days and weeks progressed, the nest got bigger and bigger and I was fascinated with it. I love how she used mud for a foundation and then decorated with moss. It makes it look so nice and comfy. I'm also impressed how she did it hanging off the side like that.

I have been very careful not to go in and out of that door too much unless I am going somewhere, (it's my front door), so as not to disturb her.

The ONLY reason I got out the camera today was because I opened the front door, (it has a screened door behind it), to let in some fresh morning air. I was walking by from living room to kitchen as I was cleaning this morning, looked up and saw her sitting in her nest.

She was SO. CUTE! All I could see was nest and her little tiny head poking out the top, looking inside my house and at me when I walked by. I so wanted a photo of that. If I just walked by, she didn't mind, she would stay there. It wasn't until I brought out the huge, scary "third eye", (camera), that she got upset with me.

I only tried for about 20 minutes to get a photo of her sitting in her nest before I decided that what I had, blurry or not, was going to have to do. I want her to be happy with her choice. I want her to know that she can trust me, I will not mess with her or her nest OR her eggs. And when they hatch, and their little heads pop up, all naked and chirping for food, I want to be able to enjoy it. I may not get photos, but I WILL get to see it and that is going to be amazing.

I did think, at first, that surely they must trust me because I go in and out that door all the time, (work at the time, grocery store, the dump...), but she still built her nest there. I want her to know she chose wisely.

Someone sent me a message telling me that this is a good sign; that a good aura was now around my house because of this little bird building a nest that will have new little birds soon. I hope that is right, I really need some good right now.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM

541 posts, read 1,140,382 times
That mama's been busy! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,593 times
how do you post a youtube vid in here? I have got a few stunning videos I took the other day to share.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 6,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
It is beautiful. I see etchings on the boulders.
I don't know whether they are natural or man-made. Oh gosh I miss the water.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I did a nest check today on my purple martin colony. I tapped the telescopic pole with my hand and give it a little shake to make sure the martins were out as I always do and nothing happened. Reasonably sure they were all out feeding, I began let the house down and a martin exited and perched on a nearby power line. I continued to led it down and opened the door revealing 3 nest cavities with 2 more female martins sitting on their nests. I promptly closed the door and raised the house back to it's original position and they never bothered to exit. A nest check last week revealed 32 eggs in 7 nest with at least 3 more nests being constructed. Amazing birds in that they migrate here from Brazil and are nearly 100% dependent on humans for housing. By mid August they're on their migration route back to Brazil. I love to sit out on my deck or work in my garden and listen to all the chatter.
Cool. I wonder if they can be scared away from their nests by intruding though.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM
bjh

Quote:

But then she saw me. If you look close, (I know, it's blurry, she was not having it), you can see that she's looking right at me as she is JUST leaping to take flight.

Thank you for letting them be. It's the decent thing to do.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsoil View Post
how do you post a youtube vid in here? I have got a few stunning videos I took the other day to share.
If it's uploaded on youtube, just copy and paste the URL in a post here. That should do it.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Quote:
When that nest was first being built, I thought it was going to be a wasp nest. I thought about taking it down but, man, even little wasps need a place to live so I couldn't do it.

As the days and weeks progressed, the nest got bigger and bigger and I was fascinated with it. I love how she used mud for a foundation and then decorated with moss. It makes it look so nice and comfy. I'm also impressed how she did it hanging off the side like that.

I have been very careful not to go in and out of that door too much unless I am going somewhere, (it's my front door), so as not to disturb her.

The ONLY reason I got out the camera today was because I opened the front door, (it has a screened door behind it), to let in some fresh morning air. I was walking by from living room to kitchen as I was cleaning this morning, looked up and saw her sitting in her nest.

She was SO. CUTE! All I could see was nest and her little tiny head poking out the top, looking inside my house and at me when I walked by. I so wanted a photo of that. If I just walked by, she didn't mind, she would stay there. It wasn't until I brought out the huge, scary "third eye", (camera), that she got upset with me.

I only tried for about 20 minutes to get a photo of her sitting in her nest before I decided that what I had, blurry or not, was going to have to do. I want her to be happy with her choice. I want her to know that she can trust me, I will not mess with her or her nest OR her eggs. And when they hatch, and their little heads pop up, all naked and chirping for food, I want to be able to enjoy it. I may not get photos, but I WILL get to see it and that is going to be amazing.

I did think, at first, that surely they must trust me because I go in and out that door all the time, (work at the time, grocery store, the dump...), but she still built her nest there. I want her to know she chose wisely.

Someone sent me a message telling me that this is a good sign; that a good aura was now around my house because of this little bird building a nest that will have new little birds soon. I hope that is right, I really need some good right now.
What kind of a bird is she? Hard to tell by the pictures, and she doesn't look quite like a chickadee to me....but again, hard to tell by the pictures. Looks like a mud nest, do chickadees build that way?

Fascinating, and I'm jealous! I do agree it's a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature