Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times

Advertisements

I never realized (maybe never had one in a spot where I could see it clearly at different times of the day), that sunflowers actually follow the sun. I know that plants in general tend to face the sun, but the sunflowers volunteers that I have growing outside my kitchen window turn their heads completely around through the day. Facing east in the morning, west in the evening, always "looking" at the sun. So cool.

I guess that's why they are called Sunflowers --- I always thought it was because they looked like the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I never realized (maybe never had one in a spot where I could see it clearly at different times of the day), that sunflowers actually follow the sun. I know that plants in general tend to face the sun, but the sunflowers volunteers that I have growing outside my kitchen window turn their heads completely around through the day. Facing east in the morning, west in the evening, always "looking" at the sun. So cool.

I guess that's why they are called Sunflowers --- I always thought it was because they looked like the sun.
I discovered this in '97 when I was exploring Kansas by driving the Lewis and Clark trail from Atchison westward. I marvelled at the fields of sunflowers all facing me as I drove west. I started in the early morning, soon after sunrise, and stopping along the way I got just past the Continental Divide some time shortly after noon. After stopping at a small cafe, I turned around to drive back via a more southern route, and discovered I was AGAIN driving toward fields of sunflowers all facing me!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Snippet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well, there's always planes.

Riding in an airplane with its speed and maneuverability limitations is not the same thing. Not to mention buzzing DC would get you shot down.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

Then there are daisies which come from day's eye, because it opens and closes with the sun.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
These little ladies can dance.
I was just outside photographing the new blossoms, and when I downloaded the pics I discovered one of your dancing ladies on my rose!
(Not the same rose I mentioned earlier.)

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Then there are daisies which come from day's eye, because it opens and closes with the sun.
I love this! I didn't know that daisies did that.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 AM

13,534 posts, read 9,940,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have a yellow rose that buds exactly like that... is yours a climber?

I always give caterpillars their full life to evolve. Whether they become pests or beneficials is irrelevant to me, I just cannot cut short their potential. (Now if I could feel so consistently toward my own species! )

DH and I have been keeping very busy trying to fend off the grief of losing our little dog, Ritzie on Sunday. It's been hard, but getting better. I just don't understand why with all life's suffering, our endings cannot be peaceful, like passing in our sleep, at home, in bed.

As my teacher teaches: "Let my sorrow free others from sorrow."

Have a happy day, please.

Thank You, LFM, it was not a bad day.

There's own species, and there's own species, sometimes I'm not quite sure. One thing's for certain, we don't fit in well with nature. I leave the critters alone too.

Sorry to hear about the passing of little Ritzie, our little Kyie had to be put down three weeks ago today. Loads of little things keep making me think about her.

No, not a climber, and I don't know where I've put the label. Not that I think it was labelled correctly anyway, the bluish purple one that I bought at the same time, turned out to be yellow also.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM

351 posts, read 692,217 times
A small family of agoutis lives in my neighbourhood. I saw one yesterday casually standing outside my window while washing dishes. This is an agouti in the picture for those who are not familiar. Not my (lol) agouti though. I will try to take a picture when next I see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-agouti_.jpg  

Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
No, not a climber, and I don't know where I've put the label. Not that I think it was labelled correctly anyway, the bluish purple one that I bought at the same time, turned out to be yellow also.
Labels rarely stay with me, and I cannot tell you the names of my roses, either. However, by any other name they still smell as sweet!

I, too, am sorry for your loss. I've had to make that decision in the past and it always hurts to the quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
A small family of agoutis lives in my neighbourhood. I saw one yesterday casually standing outside my window while washing dishes. This is an agouti in the picture for those who are not familiar. Not my (lol) agouti though. I will try to take a picture when next I see them.
Thank you for sharing agoutis with us. I think I love them. I KNOW my Bigun would love chasing them! (He's predictable that way. )

I saw mostly human nature yesterday. My friend came to pick me up and drove me down to the base of the hill where we got a beverage at the coffee shop and walked over to the beach. We sat on a park bench and watched the mothers and their little tykes playing in the sand at the shoreline. Two were in their little bare bottoms with just a shirt on. We got a lot of amusement at watching those little chubby legs discovering sand!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM

351 posts, read 692,217 times
This is a very common caterpillar we get here. This frangipani (plumeria) tree was pretty infested with them. I was scared to take this pic as these caterpillars are so huge and scare me a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-caterpillar.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature