Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times

Advertisements

They are cute to look at and quite smart and nimble....but they DO get into everything! And they love to wash their food so it is a huge mess.

I used to have a cat door to the outside. One night, I woke up to some noise and saw:

2 raccoons running down the hall of my home. NOT A DREAM

Now no cat door....the worry is of course that they can carry rabies... who knows what else....yes, maybe time for some traps and removal.

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Our little neighborhood on the river is getting over-run by raccoons. They are cute enough, but get into everything and make a mess. I suppose it's time to call animal control to see if they can catch them and move them to a more rural area down stream. I came home last night to 6 of them right in front of where I park my car. Two were hanging from the tree. Wasn't sure whether to get out of my car or not..... They didn't even move when I flashed the lights and honked the horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM

How big is Buster? Robins are fairly large...maybe he is scared

Weird the things they like....

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I have sat at my kitchen table and watched Robins eat my dog's Kibbles & Bits while Buster lay on the porch watching them. Any other type of bird that tried to eat there was promptly chased off by Buster.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM

R. spoonbill, one of my favorites and watching them use that odd spoonbill is interesting....I hear birding in your area is great!

I used to be afraid of crabs as a child...they would run over my bare feet (while walking on the beach at night).......

I can still feel them......ouch!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
The other day I saw my first Roseate Spoonbill. This morning, I decided to sit awhile on the beach and I saw a huge crab. It startled me at first. I'm always afraid of getting pinched when my head is turned.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM

No telling what you would have if no dog!

redbird.....name reminds me of my dear grandmother....she would always get excited to see "redbirds" ie cardinals, but never was she interested in the true name or habits etc.

She just enjoyed the redbirds. Nothing wrong with that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We have two apple trees and a pear tree, (sorry no partridges ) and they bring out the coon families. But we also have a german shepherd who does not take kindly to coons. She will kill any that try and rob us.

The real pest is the armadillo that comes and digs little holes all over. I use a stick to play armadillo hockey. I didn't know they could run so fast.

And possums are plentiful here in Oklahoma. The german shepherd does not like them either. Even our inside dogs go postal on possums.

Skunks come and go, I am not sure why they stay away, I think it's because of the german shepherd. She has had a few run ins with them, and they sort of leave each other alone.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Those little flyers are in a class of their own....I love how they are so tiny! One happens to have a favorite perch near my window and I can watch preening etc.

And how these guys make it over the Gulf of Mexico and back each year is astonishing...

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Little teeny hummingbirds in and around the tree outside my window. Sometimes they'll zoom over to this big tree across the street and perch right at the very top of it. I can barely see them. It's almost like the star on top of a Christmas tree, a very tiny star...

And even though we're in the city, we have hawks circling overhead sometimes. I love the sound of their call.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM

19,213 posts, read 15,074,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Those little flyers are in a class of their own....I love how they are so tiny! One happens to have a favorite perch near my window and I can watch preening etc.

And how these guys make it over the Gulf of Mexico and back each year is astonishing...

gbh
"I just flew in from the Gulf of Mexico, and boy are my arms tired!"

Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,629,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How big is Buster? Robins are fairly large...maybe he is scared

Weird the things they like....
Buster was part Shepherd part Collie. She chased blackbirds that were larger than the robins. She chased squirrels, racoons, rabbits, and played with a ferret until it died and would attack anything she thought was going to hurt my wife so I don't think it was fear. She would lay less than 3 feet from her food bowl and watch them. Only thing we could figure out was she (yes a female named Buster) liked the robins.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,081,659 times
Raccoons? Did someone say Raccoons?

Growing up we lived in a house with an overlapping spanish style roof. The raccoons would get up on the roof looking for bird's nests and eggs. If it was quiet at night in the family room you could sometimes hear one lose it's footing and like nails on a chalkboard they'd go sliding down.

One night my dad kept hearing this crashing noise on the back patio and looked out the window and saw these tiles falling from the roof onto the concrete - it was the raccoons ripping the tiles off to get to the bird's nests.

But the funniest raccoon story was when my dad said, "Do you ever get this weird feeling someone is watching you?" He was in his bathroom and would quickly turn to the window because he could have sworn someone was looking in and nothing was there. This went on for a while until he busted the little critter. The raccoon was on the roof laying on his belly and sort of hanging his head upside down to see in the window. He even pointed to the window and said, "just wait and watch."

Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,589,159 times
Well, let's see. Today I saw a good sized turtle leaving our yard and crossing the street. My friends the Ibises hang out here most every day. There's a baby alligator in the pond around the corner.... mama too, I'm sure, but I didn't see her today. This afternoon there was a heron across the street. And when I was driving back from dropping off my daughter at her bus stop, we got to watch a mama duck with at least 6 brand new babies following her.

We live right in the city, too, although our neighborhood takes great pains to keep nature around. I love it.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,695,759 times
Today we saw two birds protecting their nest which is on our porch; there are some ugly black birds that keep "hanging" around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature