Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times

Advertisements

We live in a fairly new suburb and yesterday I saw for the first time a chipmunk in my garden and filling his cheeks with my little green tomatoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,688,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I'm glad if your dogs can divert predators. Saw something recently about ranchers in areas where wolves have been re-introduced. Sometimes the wolves kill their dogs.

Supposedly donkeys can be protection for livestock, but probably against smaller predators like coyotes. You may know more about that than I do.
there have been huge arguments here on CD about the wolf situation. In my experience, our sheep (nor anything else) were never bothered by the wolves, even during lambing. But in a very high wolf population areas on leased public lands with ranchers running sheep and not using fladry, shepherds, etc as well as dogs.....it definitely can happen.
It's kind of the chance we take when we live and have livestock where we do.
Some people use donkeys or llamas as protection against smaller predators. Results seem to vary. I've heard of the donkeys attacking the sheep. We have a grouchy old pony who loves to go after anything canine. Not just to defend himself, but he'll go after a dog or coyote.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We met a couple in ID while camping that had a four month old shepherd to replace the one they lost to coyotes. He said that one will draw a dog out and then the rest of the pack circles and brings down the dog. Apparently his lost shepherd was huge, so I don't think it was a matter of size.

I remember feeling terrible for them, and wondering how a person could handle losing a dog to a wild animal. Then the good Lord showed me. We always think that things happen to someone else.

I'm sorry. I've heard the same about coyotes. The good thing about wolves is that the coyotes leave the area when the wolves are around. I'd rather have the wolves.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
there have been huge arguments here on CD about the wolf situation. In my experience, our sheep (nor anything else) were never bothered by the wolves, even during lambing. But in a very high wolf population areas on leased public lands with ranchers running sheep and not using fladry, shepherds, etc as well as dogs.....it definitely can happen.
Some people use donkeys or llamas as protection against smaller predators. Results seem to vary. I've heard of the donkeys attacking the sheep. We have a grouchy old pony who loves to go after anything canine. Not just to defend himself, but he'll go after a dog or coyote.
I looked up "fladry" and was surprised at what it was. (For some reason I was thinking it was some power you put on the sheep! ) It's pretty amazing that a line of caution flags would deter the wolves. Kudos to whomever thought that up!

Quote:
I'm sorry. I've heard the same about coyotes. The good thing about wolves is that the coyotes leave the area when the wolves are around. I'd rather have the wolves.
My friend and former co-worker was a strong advocate of the re-release of wolves to an area and I have to admit I have been skeptical. A close encounter with a coyote in Golden, CO was enough to make me feel pretty stern toward large predators. Not that I want them killed, but I would prefer that they stay in the high, remote areas. She says there are no reported wolf attacks on humans in US history, but the fairy tales were pretty specific about the big bad wolf. Which is true?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM

351 posts, read 692,217 times
Samaan tree in bloom that I saw while jogging.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-samaan.jpg  

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I looked up "fladry" and was surprised at what it was. (For some reason I was thinking it was some power you put on the sheep! ) It's pretty amazing that a line of caution flags would deter the wolves. Kudos to whomever thought that up!

My friend and former co-worker was a strong advocate of the re-release of wolves to an area and I have to admit I have been skeptical. A close encounter with a coyote in Golden, CO was enough to make me feel pretty stern toward large predators. Not that I want them killed, but I would prefer that they stay in the high, remote areas. She says there are no reported wolf attacks on humans in US history, but the fairy tales were pretty specific about the big bad wolf. Which is true?
to say that wolves are a controversial issue would be an understatement. Here's one of the threads from the Idaho board. We get pretty cantankerous.
Idaho Wolf Population Issues: was "Precious Idaho"

Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
We live in a fairly new suburb and yesterday I saw for the first time a chipmunk in my garden and filling his cheeks with my little green tomatoes
Can you blame him?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information from someone with (cowboy) boots on the ground. So know what you're talking about. Why do you prefer wolves to coyotes?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Thanks for the information from someone with (cowboy) boots on the ground. So know what you're talking about. Why do you prefer wolves to coyotes?

Wolves tend to stay more in the wild and away from human habitation, coyotes have far fewer qualms about humans and are responsible for most problems. I only know my own experiences though. They would be different if we had run our sheep in remote areas with high wolf populations.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Just saw this today. About a local teacher:
Sandpoint teacher attacked by wolf while bicycling in Yukon - Spokesman.com - July 9, 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature