Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Awww, what a cute little guy, spinx!

I had a whole menagerie in my yard this past weekend. As I sat working at my PC on Saturday, I had several species of birds in my backyard, as well as several squirrels, a bunny, and a couple of chipmunks. At one point, a chipmunk was chasing a mourning dove on the ground. It looked way funny! The dove was just too lazy to fly, I guess, and the chipper would sneak up behind the bird and goose him (or should I say "dove him"?). The bird would jump and then take a couple of hops ahead and start pecking the ground again. Then the chipmunk would sneak up again. This went on for several minutes and made me lol! I couldn't get a clear shot of both animals together, but here are separate pics of the participants in this little game:
Wow. That bird is a very stately critter. I started laughing just reading your post of the one-way tag game, Pam. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Wow. That bird is a very stately critter. I started laughing just reading your post of the one-way tag game, Pam. Thank you.
It was very fun to watch!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for showing pics of the insects....I don't do photos . That walking stick is such a great find. They are pretty darn odd

Was this the San Antonio Zoo? Very pretty setting...I have never seen a koala live!

Thanks****gbh
There's a campground in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, about 30 minutes from my house, that is crawling with walking sticks! I was camping there one time with some friends, and it seemed every time we turned around there were more walking sticks on the picnic table and on the ground as well. We had to be super careful not to step on any. Their camouflage is amazing - unless they are on a bright red plastic tablecloth! Some were very large, and some were babies. Kinda cute, after we got used to them!

I remember catching walking sticks in a field that was behind the houses directly across the street from ours when I was growing up. We were always playing in that field and catching bugs and snakes and frogs. It wasn't unusual to be walking along in the high grass and weeds and to have a friend say, "Hey, you've got a walking stick on your back!"

Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Wow...I have never seen more than one at the time....your area is great for "nature sightings", Pam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
There's a campground in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, about 30 minutes from my house, that is crawling with walking sticks! I was camping there one time with some friends, and it seemed every time we turned around there were more walking sticks on the picnic table and on the ground as well. We had to be super careful not to step on any. Their camouflage is amazing - unless they are on a bright red plastic tablecloth! Some were very large, and some were babies. Kinda cute, after we got used to them!

I remember catching walking sticks in a field that was behind the houses directly across the street from ours when I was growing up. We were always playing in that field and catching bugs and snakes and frogs. It wasn't unusual to be walking along in the high grass and weeds and to have a friend say, "Hey, you've got a walking stick on your back!"

Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Yesterday on my way out to the lake I saw a young buck with a doe, a bear, and all kinds of little creatures. I love the young does. They are so graceful. Although, I come from a family of hunters and gatherers, I can't imagine hunting them. They're just so lovely.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Me too regarding hunting.....years ago my dad went duck hunting, brought home 2 black ducks & placed them in kitchen sink to ready for cooking. I was about 8 or so & wandered in...a light over the sink was shining on the feathers, showing a rainbow of colors...I promptly broke into tears & cried, it seemed, for hrs. as those lovely ducks were dead.

My father, being a good dad, never hunted again after that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Yesterday on my way out to the lake I saw a young buck with a doe, a bear, and all kinds of little creatures. I love the young does. They are so graceful. Although, I come from a family of hunters and gatherers, I can't imagine hunting them. They're just so lovely.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
It's a very crittery day - maybe because it's so hot?

I just watched a deer run out of then back into our woodlot.

Then watched a marmot run down the sidewalk, across the gravel road, up the steps to the porch of the general store, then jump down and go under the porch.

They're usually not active during the day - it's probably trying to find a cooler place to hang out.

I hope it's not distemper - they've found raccoons with distemper in a town about an hour away. Do marmots get distemper??
If they all start running the same direction, watch out!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
I just saw a young osprey trying his wings and was not very agile yet over a busy 4 lane highway. Looked like he was flying under the influence.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
I saw my redbird again! LoL Seems like such a small thing, compared to the animals in this thread.

But it seems he lives in the woods near me. It is a really small area, houses on either side. Though I do live at the top of a big hill- houses and apts on the top and then, down the hill, a lot more apts/ condos, so really it's bigger than I think!

Anyway, tomorrow I am going for a walk with my camera to see what I can see!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,488 posts, read 7,153,343 times
I'm having a nature call right now does that qualify??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature