Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The other day we watched a nature program about big cats. One of our little cats watched it too. I mean she sat and watched it. She was sitting in my better half's lap, looking at the screen, really following the show. I got a bigger kick out of that than the show.
Cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Lots of grasshoppers hopping around these days. Tis the season.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Oh, holy moly. The other day at work, the parking lot was FILLED with dragonflies! Swarms of them! I was kinda glad I was on the inside looking out.....

Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Oh, holy moly. The other day at work, the parking lot was FILLED with dragonflies! Swarms of them! I was kinda glad I was on the inside looking out.....
Must've been a banner day for mosquitos. I understand that they are the dragonflies primary food.

Another good reason to be happy to be indoors.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,985,972 times
I said "Hi" to another beautiful white butterfly today.

Do they somehow know how much I appreciate them? It would be so nice if they knew.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM

OK, this is very cool. Around 2 months ago, maybe a little longer, my son and his girlfriend were at her house, and observed a turtle laying eggs in the backyard. Soon after the mother turtle left, a raccoon came and dug them up. Son and gf chased raccoon away, and rescued one egg.

Naturally, it ended up at my house, in a tupperware container with moist dirt from the nesting area and some vegetation.

It's been pretty much ignored since. We look at it once in a while, nothing seems to be going on with it. In fact, yesterday my son was here and we tried to candle it, but couldn't see anything at all. When he picked it up, he said, "Mom, it's still soft, and feels like it's ready to burst!" Well, I'm thinking it's just rotting in there, should be a nice smelly mess pretty soon.

Imagine my surprise when I just for the heck of it looked into the container again this afternoon, to find this:

Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
OK, this is very cool. Around 2 months ago, maybe a little longer, my son and his girlfriend were at her house, and observed a turtle laying eggs in the backyard. Soon after the mother turtle left, a raccoon came and dug them up. Son and gf chased raccoon away, and rescued one egg.

Naturally, it ended up at my house, in a tupperware container with moist dirt from the nesting area and some vegetation.

It's been pretty much ignored since. We look at it once in a while, nothing seems to be going on with it. In fact, yesterday my son was here and we tried to candle it, but couldn't see anything at all. When he picked it up, he said, "Mom, it's still soft, and feels like it's ready to burst!" Well, I'm thinking it's just rotting in there, should be a nice smelly mess pretty soon.

Imagine my surprise when I just for the heck of it looked into the container again this afternoon, to find this:
That's cool. What do you do now?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:

Quote:
Name it, what else!

I vote for "Rocky"!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
They are going to put it into a terrarium they are converting to a turtle home. Not sure if they're going to keep it or let it free when it gets a little older. It's a painted turtle, I believe.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Name it, what else!

I vote for "Rocky"!
I keep wanting to call him Simon, but I think Rocky is cute, too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature