Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

^ I didn't inspect them all that closely.

After all, they're ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Sounded like autumn this morning when I let Vito out before his breakfast. Crickets chirping! It was just after dawn, still almost dark.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
When we were kids we had every critter that crept or crawled in the woods to the river bank in our back yard. You cannot feed a critter you don't name, silly!
Same here! That was me. I had tortoises, turtles (aquatic), and I would save catfish that my older brother caught. Once I save the tortoise (his name was Frankie) in a bucket with the fish. The tortoise ate the fish and escaped that night.

I had 2 baby jackrabbits once after my brother killed it's mom. They were fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I mean what are they gonna feed it.
Turtle chow?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
walking in the desert one day i spotted a baby desert tortoise. it was smaller than a half dollar.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
walking in the desert one day i spotted a baby desert tortoise. it was smaller than a half dollar.
You were very fortunate! As I posted earlier, my mom raised one from about the size of a quarter to large enough to fill her two hands. During that time I learned that their habitat and food access is being destroyed. They live very, very long lives and don't roam far.

I hope your little guy lives out his live in peaceful abundance.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You were very fortunate! As I posted earlier, my mom raised one from about the size of a quarter to large enough to fill her two hands. During that time I learned that their habitat and food access is being destroyed. They live very, very long lives and don't roam far.

I hope your little guy lives out his live in peaceful abundance.
i hope the little guy made it. first thing i did was look around for birds, like those seabirds having baby sea turtle horderves on the beach. didn't touch him and just let it be. great story. how long did it take from quarter to two hand size?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM
bjh

A caribou or some sort dancing in a mud puddle

Party Hard! Party Hard! Party Hard! - Cheezburger

Old 08-24-2013, 10:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
i hope the little guy made it. first thing i did was look around for birds, like those seabirds having baby sea turtle horderves on the beach. didn't touch him and just let it be. great story. how long did it take from quarter to two hand size?
Oh gosh, Mom had him for years. My niece named him Hampton when she was a tweenie, and I think she graduated from highschool before Mom had to give him up. They don't grow very fast, but they get faster as they get older. That's why Mom had to give him up. Her blindness was getting worse, and she was afraid he'd get away from her and get lost in her apartment!

Apparently, he was ready to live in a more social setting, anyway. The woman that took him had a sort of tortoise sanctuary in her back yard, and reported that immediately upon being released to the area he picked a lovely young she tortoise to try and sew his oats.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 PM
bjh

Then they knew why he was trying to get away.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Oh gosh, Mom had him for years. My niece named him Hampton when she was a tweenie, and I think she graduated from highschool before Mom had to give him up. They don't grow very fast, but they get faster as they get older. That's why Mom had to give him up. Her blindness was getting worse, and she was afraid he'd get away from her and get lost in her apartment!

Apparently, he was ready to live in a more social setting, anyway. The woman that took him had a sort of tortoise sanctuary in her back yard, and reported that immediately upon being released to the area he picked a lovely young she tortoise to try and sew his oats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature