Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I've never heard that either. Is that a common name for them in WV, HomersBoy?
All I've ever heard them called was a writing spider or a garden spider but according to Wikipedia,
Argiope (spider) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In North America, Argiope aurantia is commonly known as the black and yellow garden spider, zipper spider, corn spider, and writing spider, because of the similarity of the web stabilimenta to writing.

I googled writing spiders and most of the images of the spider are just like the one I took the pic of but their webs have "zippers" in them. My spider seems to be more advanced......lol

Quote:
I think it's LUAU and the spider is telling you that you'll win an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii!
I'm really liking this spider now and I like the way you're thinking. I checked on it today and it was gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I'm really liking this spider now and I like the way you're thinking. I checked on it today and it was gone.
If it has rained recently, she might just be camped out under a nearby leaf. I have a large web where another spider has been sitting, and I notice every time it rains she disappears -- probably into my rosebush, until things dry out. (An aquaintence told me that all sitting spiders -- on webs -- are female; the males are traveling from web to web! )

Old 09-10-2013, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 13,329 times
Last week I was out collecting hazelnuts, when I noticed there was a bull moose on the other side of the thicket from me. It's starting to get into the rut right now so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and climbed a tree until it left.

Indian cucumber root plants have a root that looks like a little carrot, except that it's parrallel to the ground surface instead of up and down. This Spring when I was out gathering them I noticed that almost every single root was growing underneath some other root. You can't pull the roots up, you have to dig them up and pull them sideways to get the root out from under the other roots. It only occured to me this Spring that that must be a defensive strategy by the plants to prevent animals from rooting it up and eating it.

Last weekend I was out picking cherries when a mother mouse ran by carrying a baby mouse. She came by another couple times, I guess her old nest had been disturbed and she was moving her children to a new nest. I scared her by accident on one of her passes, and she dropped her baby and scattered off. She didn't come back for a while so I picked up the kid and he started crawling all over me, he kept trying to curl up in the folds of my clothes. Eventually the mother came back, so I set him down and she picked him up and ran off. That's not the only time that's happened, another time a couple years ago a mother mouse dropped a baby while climbing up the wall inside my cabin, and the baby started squealing. I picked him up too and the mother eventually came back and was staring at me from my shelves. I put my hand with the baby on it next to the edge of the shelf, and she jumped on, picked up her baby, and went back up the wall to the loft.

In the Winter I always get families of mice and shrews and lemmings living in my cabin, getting into the food I've stored. Sometimes I like to tame some of them, get them used to me so they'll come right up to me and eat food out of my hand, and they can get pretty friendly. But every so often there's one ermine that likes to come by and clear out all the rodents living in my house, and he'll usually stay for a couple days. He also likes to dive into my garbage bag finding any scraps. I love watching ermines, and this one's particuliarly brave. He hasn't come back in my cabin since I got the dogs, but I have seen him twice nearby since.

About a month ago I was picking mushrooms when I came across a little snowshoe hare leveret, pretending not to be seen just like little leverets do. So I picked her up and brought her home for a couple weeks. She got tame real quick, would come up to me demanding I scratch between her ears and would sleep ontop of me if I sat down anywhere. But they're nocturnal, and she would make a ruckus running around the cabin all night long. I let her go a couple weeks ago. She wouldn't run off so I set one of the dogs after her so she wouldn't jump back into the cabin.

There used to be a HUGE raven living nearby my house. Really huge, must have had a wingspan over four feet. You could hear him every time he flew over, woosh woosh woosh, and he would eat my chickens. I saw him do it twice, he actually picked up the chicken and flew off with it about thirty feet. And this was a jumbo cornish, not a small bird.

When the jewelweed was in bloom there were tons of hummingbirds this year. Usually if at I'm my house during the day I keep the door open, and every day for a week straight I had a hummingbird fly in, hover for a bit, then fly out. My father thinks thinks they were seeing a bright red piece of sashing I've got inside and were curious.

That's not even scratching the surface.

I love nature.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasao View Post
Last week I was out collecting hazelnuts, when I noticed there was a bull moose on the other side of the thicket from me. It's starting to get into the rut right now so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and climbed a tree until it left.

... I love nature.
If you don't mind saying... where do you live?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 13,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you don't mind saying... where do you live?
Aroostook county, Maine, où on parle français!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasao View Post
Aroostook county, Maine, où on parle français!
Oh my, you cannot get much further north east in the US, can you?

I am a native of Michigan, and lived "up north" for a brief amount of that time. Many of my neighbors were of Canadian-French descent. More recently, DH and I stayed in Skowhegan for a week and I fell in love with that area. We drove from there to Quebec and then onto Montreal. I envy you your surroundings -- except for the cold. Brrrrrr......

Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
All I've ever heard them called was a writing spider or a garden spider but according to Wikipedia,
Argiope (spider) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In North America, Argiope aurantia is commonly known as the black and yellow garden spider, zipper spider, corn spider, and writing spider, because of the similarity of the web stabilimenta to writing.

I googled writing spiders and most of the images of the spider are just like the one I took the pic of but their webs have "zippers" in them. My spider seems to be more advanced......lol

I think I've heard zipper spider now that you mention it. Been years since I've seen one of those. Funny spiders came up on this thread yesterday because this morning on the way to my truck I saw a spider - a lady spider according to LFM's post - sitting on a web between a tree and the porch railing. Just sitting. Waiting.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I think I've heard zipper spider now that you mention it. Been years since I've seen one of those. Funny spiders came up on this thread yesterday because this morning on the way to my truck I saw a spider - a lady spider according to LFM's post - sitting on a web between a tree and the porch railing. Just sitting. Waiting.
My hair stylist told me that the number of spider web's you see from a given vantage point indicates something about the coming bad weather. I saw four from my front steps: the one mentioned earlier (whom I've named "Charlotte" and three spun in layers connecting my Weigela to my Hawthorn. Now if I could just remember exactly WHAT that implies about the weather....

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My hair stylist told me that the number of spider web's you see from a given vantage point indicates something about the coming bad weather. I saw four from my front steps: the one mentioned earlier (whom I've named "Charlotte" and three spun in layers connecting my Weigela to my Hawthorn. Now if I could just remember exactly WHAT that implies about the weather....
I just did a Google search of "spider webs" and "weather." There's a bunch of stuff!

Here's one saying bigger webs mean a harsher winter. I mean. Link: Do the signs point to harsh winter? | Farmers' Almanac

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
bjh

Seal escapes hungry killer whale by running ashore. It's good to have options others don't have.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature