Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM

23,306 posts, read 16,987,140 times

Advertisements

Pair of november aged whitetail fawns spotted a car in the pasture.. they both turned and stared as the cat walked in their general direction. Overcome with curiosity they walked toward the cat which turned back from where it came with the two fawns following it until out of sight. The big doe just watched the whole episode.

November in a cut corn field a young buck stolled out in the middle of the field with his nose to the ground. I snuck about 125 paces away along the edge of the surrounding field. I edged my way to a large pokeweed bush out in the open and began to scape it with a stick and shake it. The young buck turned and circled to check out the commotion and came within 30 paces when I began taking his photo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Interesting. Hope your owl works! I wonder if that window has more light flowing outward or something.
The guy at the hardware store said it probably would'nt deter them perched on the roof, but suspended from the eaves close to that window should be effective. It's perched on the "window" ledge between our kitchen and sunroom right now, waiting for DH and his handyman services.

I don't think it's light related given that window is in shadow that time of day, unless its light from the opposing side of the room. Both events occurred late in the day and it faces the east. The robins left after the one fell, and have not been back so I don't think there's any danger now. (The juncos never fly this high.)

The lady at the store said the robins get drunk on the cotoneaster berries. She thinks that's why they fly into the window. I suppose that's an eventuality I cannot do anything to prevent unless I tear up the cotoneasters.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I saw a hummingbird moth today! Watched it off and on for about 1/2 hr.

I've heard of them but never seen one until this morning.

well, if the bucket cooperates...
[url=http://s254.photobucket.com/user/labellehippo/media/hummingbird%20moth/003_01A-2-1.jpg.html][/URL

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
well, if the bucket cooperates...
[url=http://s254.photobucket.com/user/labellehippo/media/hummingbird%20moth/003_01A-2-1.jpg.html][/URL
Awww... I want hummingbird moths.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Interesting. Hope your owl works! I wonder if that window has more light flowing outward or something.

I know 2 times now (once just last night) we've had to rescue hummingbirds at dusk who were all disoriented and trying to get in the high windows under the eaves at the front of our house. Both birds were ok, hubby climbed a stool and captured each, let them go under the big magnolia in the front yard. They flew up into the branches.

Needless to say I will be shutting the overhead lights off at dusk from now on. Thought the first one was a fluke or sick, but I'm pretty sure they were both just confused by the lighting.

Silly things. So beautiful and delicate, especially up close.
Maybe they were seeing the reflection of the trees in the window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, but DH won't have any of those things on his windows, except the blinds at night. I am going to the store today to buy those life-size owls and hang one from the roof line there in that corner. It's been that one window both times. Why they want to fly toward the inside corner of the patio I don't understand. None of the other eleven windows have ever been a problem.

Coincidentally, today I was at a shopping center walking past the glass window and doors to the stores, looked down and saw a bird lying on the pavement, of a kind I'd never seen before. I thought of this thread. Weird hunh?! I went about my business came back and the bird was sitting up a few feet over from where it have been. Had to be the same bird, same markings and no bird lying down to be seen. A few minutes later it flew away. Maybe it hit a window and was temporarily stunned.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
saw a baby fox last night.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe they were seeing the reflection of the trees in the window?
I don't think a reflection... but could be seeing the trees on the west side of the house through the window... Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Coincidentally, today I was at a shopping center walking past the glass window and doors to the stores, looked down and saw a bird lying on the pavement, of a kind I'd never seen before. I thought of this thread. Weird hunh?! I went about my business came back and the bird was sitting up a few feet over from where it have been. Had to be the same bird, same markings and no bird lying down to be seen. A few minutes later it flew away. Maybe it hit a window and was temporarily stunned.
Often, if they don't hit hard, this is the case. Usually when they are coming in from a short distance and have no momentum... Unfortunately, both of the robins in our case were not so lucky.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 AM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
saw a baby fox last night.
any chance you got a photo?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 AM

884 posts, read 1,401,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The guy at the hardware store said it probably would'nt deter them perched on the roof, but suspended from the eaves close to that window should be effective. It's perched on the "window" ledge between our kitchen and sunroom right now, waiting for DH and his handyman services.

I don't think it's light related given that window is in shadow that time of day, unless its light from the opposing side of the room. Both events occurred late in the day and it faces the east. The robins left after the one fell, and have not been back so I don't think there's any danger now. (The juncos never fly this high.)

The lady at the store said the robins get drunk on the cotoneaster berries. She thinks that's why they fly into the window. I suppose that's an eventuality I cannot do anything to prevent unless I tear up the cotoneasters.
The owls are ineffective. I've also seen them used to deter Canadian Geese. The geese just walk by it and even sit down next to it.

And yes birds do get drunk on berries that are fermenting as well. As you said nothing you can do about that.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
Quote:
any chance you got a photo?
nope. i was going 75 mph, it was night, and the fox was caught in the lights of the car ahead of me running off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature