Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I moved to South Louisiana from Connecticut about 11 years ago. Of course, I still have my extended family and many friends up north. One of my friends who loves the cold and the snow and the fall (as opposed to me, who will take summer year round, thank you!) sends me a little packet of fall leaves every year. This year's batch came in the mail today with a sweet card that says "Happy Fall!"
Nice collection! Years ago I went out and collected a similar grouping -- Seattle metro rarely sees Fall color, but that year was an exception. I put them on a copy machine and scanned them to make stationary. The pages cost me $1.00/each, but my mother -- who then lived in Tucson, loved it.

Thanks for the memory.

I was walking Big' this afternoon and heard what I thought were bushtits in the trees overhead -- my favorite birds. Instead it was a small number of Golden Crown Kinglets. They are almost as cute as the bushtits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
I moved to South Louisiana from Connecticut about 11 years ago. Of course, I still have my extended family and many friends up north. One of my friends who loves the cold and the snow and the fall (as opposed to me, who will take summer year round, thank you!) sends me a little packet of fall leaves every year. This year's batch came in the mail today with a sweet card that says "Happy Fall!"
That's a great tradition.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Saw a dragonfly today. Almost flew into my face in fact. Could definitely see why they were called a darning needle.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:04 AM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Saw a dragonfly today. Almost flew into my face in fact. Could definitely see why they were called a darning needle.
We used to be terrified of them as kids! We were told they're "sewing needles" and they'd sew your mouth up!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
We still have a couple hummingbirds around and I am quite surprised since it has been in the 50's overnight.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We still have a couple hummingbirds around and I am quite surprised since it has been in the 50's overnight.
Hummers are not that affected by cold, as long as they have a food source, and insects are 50% of their natural diet. We have them year round and they love our bugs.

When I lived in Tucson the restaurant up on Mt. Lemmon (snow in winter) had them year round. They were a big draw to those that sat in the window seats.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:44 AM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
What a lovely thing for your friend to do! I think I'll steal her idea and send some pretty leaves to my cousin in California. She grew up in Ohio and misses the fall colors. Great idea!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I went on a 3-mile walk in a park shortly before dusk today, hoping to get some good fall foliage pictures. After walking for about 20 minutes or so, my disappointment in not finding much colorful foliage was displaced by pure joy when I practically stumbled across this handsome buck. I rounded a corner and found him standing right in the middle of the path, about 10 feet in front of me. I was surprised he didn't bolt. He just stood there staring at me for a short while. For a moment, I was a bit afraid he might charge me. (It's almost the rutting season, and those bucks can get crazy!) But after staring me down for a while he slowly walked to the side of the path and started grazing. He wasn't spooked as I moved about to take photos from different angles. He was so beautiful! Here are a few of my photos.
fantastic.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,140,382 times
More squirrels! Lately I've been noticing large growths on the squirrels, I was wondering what is going on??? Then, thanks to google, I found out the growths were Warbels(botfly larvae), whew, I thought something was in the water! I feel bad for the squirrels with those growths but apparently they don't harm the squirrel.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,230,202 times
yesterday while waiting at the bus stop, I noticed a cat walking through the leaves on a front lawn, It was a peaceful beautiful moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature