Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
funny people
Nice pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,584,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Hah, top this one!

A few hours ago I was sitting at the computer in my new little old house by the river, putting together my 2014 budget, when I caught a fluttering out of the corner of my eye. A bat was flying around the room!!!!! I shrieked and jumped up, fell over my chair and crawled across the floor and hit my head on the door jamb, shrieking the whole time!

Guess you never know what you're going to do when a bat is in the room!

I actually love watching bats outside - it's fun to watch them swoop through the air catching bugs. And I can deal with them in caves as they hang sleeping on the cave walls.

But I found out what a crazy coward I was when a bat was swooping around my head! I ran across the road to get the neighbor, who came over with his fishing net. He found it on the floor of the living room - it had either stunned itself by hitting a wall, or the cats MIGHT have gotten it - but it was whole. Either way, he took it out in the net and left it in the snowy grass. Maybe it woke up.

But, OMG! I must have bats in either the attic or the cellar.

I sure ain't going up or down to find out!

I'm going to have to find someone to figure out where it came from and put one of those electronic wave bat repellents out.

Unless anyone else has a better idea?
It's funny, In childhood, I fished out with the help of white cotton cloth.they are very sensitive to white light. White light reflects very well the wave but as radar

Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Nice pictures
Thank you! I have lots of them. Puffins (we call them Kamchatka parrots), they live 4 km from my home on the Pacific coast (on a small island).

Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 AM

From another inhabitant of my land.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-1-4-.jpg  

Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
... But, OMG! I must have bats in either the attic or the cellar.
I'm going to have to find someone to figure out where it came from and put one of those electronic wave bat repellents out.
Quote:
They're welcome to roost in my detached old garage, if they want. Maybe I should put a bat box out in the very far back corner of my yard. In the Spring? I'll ask the bat guys.
601, perhaps rather than trying to repel it might be more efficient to give them an attractive place to go to in another part of your property -- maybe putting bat houses on the far side of your detached garage, or another outbuilding? I understand bats are very good for insect control, and it might be good to work with them rather than against them?

Quote:
That spotted seals. Taken by a friend of mine. He's a good photographer.
Yes, we have these in Puget Sound. While on a kayaking tour years ago the guide warned us that we would be seeing them on various points. The mothers will "park" their young on beaches while they go out to hunt. We were cautions to keep our distance because if the young were drawn away from their location where left, they might not reconnect with the mother, and starve. It was thrilling to think we might see them -- and then we never did!

Quote:
From another inhabitant of my land.
Great pic. Do you know what type of eagle this is -- assuming it IS an eagle.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Thank you! I have lots of them. Puffins (we call them Kamchatka parrots), they live 4 km from my home on the Pacific coast (on a small island).
I've heard puffins are good eating. Do people there catch them for food?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
BJ! Banish the thought!

Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Great pic. Do you know what type of eagle this is -- assuming it IS an eagle.
this White-winged(shoulder)-Orlan

Last edited by GreyKarast; 12-17-2013 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
people in food? No. People do not eat them.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 AM

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-.jpg   Tell me your nature observations!-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature