Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 07:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

Advertisements

On SC island for the holidays...walked alone in interior woods....sat down to wait for something (anything nature related) to happen...

As soon as I sat, a bobcat stood up....only about 15 ft from me. Couldn't believe my great good luck.

Gorgeous....rich browns/tans/black....just stunning...she/he was leery of me but not totally afraid. We just both stared at each other for a few wonderful minutes...then bcat slowly wandered off.

And I was left with a very moving and awe-inspiring experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
On SC island for the holidays...walked alone in interior woods....sat down to wait for something (anything nature related) to happen...

As soon as I sat, a bobcat stood up....only about 15 ft from me. Couldn't believe my great good luck.

Gorgeous....rich browns/tans/black....just stunning...she/he was leery of me but not totally afraid. We just both stared at each other for a few wonderful minutes...then bcat slowly wandered off.

And I was left with a very moving and awe-inspiring experience.
Cool. Did you have a camera? Either way, nice!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,769,542 times
Guess this fellow decided to have lunch on my patio today.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
bjh

I saw ice pellets and snow flurries late this morning.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM

687 posts, read 1,487,268 times
Before it got cold we had a pair of ducks on our pond. We haven't seen them in a couple of months, and this morning there were 4 cruising around! There was also a huge blue heron hanging out with the cows across the street.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM

515 posts, read 774,346 times
I spotted this whitetail deer near my home and thought it was unusual for a mature buck to bed in an open field in broad daylight. I assumed he had been hit by a car but when I tried to get a better pic, he jumped up and ran for cover. He looked healthy to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-bedded-buck.jpg  

Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
bjh

^
Glad he's fit.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
We had yet another robin hit the window yesterday.

When I got downstairs to the patio I was happy to find this time its neck was not broken, though it was stunned. I scooped it carefully and walked it over to my garden table where I settled it under an old towel to keep it out of view from the crows. It was obviously in shock.

DH came home and helped me set up a warming lamp above it and when we got to it I saw that it had moved into the corner, and was at least upright.

A couple of hours later it flew away. Thank God.

DH moved the owl out to the front of the eves this morning. More robins were in the yard this afternoon, and though they did fly toward the house, they veered away. I think the owl is now working.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM
bjh

^
Decals?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,801,873 times
Just as I turned off the 11:00 news last night, I heard something in my back yard - which proved to be two mature raccoons, munching on the sunflower seeds I'd earlier tossed out for the birds. Neither seemed disturbed to see me watching them, and both were chunky, well-furred, and bright-eyed.

I've seen raccoons in my older suburban yard before, but not for a good while. As long as they stay outside my house and out of the dangerous street, they are an interesting addition to the rabbits, opossums, chipmunks, gray squirrels, occasional mice, and various birds who frequent our neighborhood. I expect they have a hidey-hole somewhere up in my big old hackberry tree.

Edited to add that I just received a message of concern about the raccoons potentially becoming aggressive - I was safely indoors, as was my cat, watching through the storm door. The food was intended for the birds, not the raccoons! I've never seen raccoons in my yard during daylight or early evening hours - it was about 11:30 when these two showed up last night, so they were being properly nocturnal, just as they are supposed to be.

So - thanks for the concern, but I'm not too worried at this point, as unlike a couple of soft-hearted acquaintances of mine, I have no intention of setting up a raccoon feeding station, or letting them mingle with the cat, or naming them. Though I did find myself thinking of them as "Big Raccoon" and "Little Raccoon", though the "little" one was small only by comparison.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 01-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature