Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,696,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron
Tell me your nature observations!
I love Nature buddy!

I love being outside in the woods in the summer and hearing birds,etc........ Hearing someone using a chain saw off in the distance,hearing a plane overhead,etc......... Dont hear much of that in the winter time.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,801,873 times
I saw overwintering red-winged blackbirds and flocks of cardinals in Arkansas last week, along with a flock of about twenty or so white pelicans on a central Arkansas lake - but my big natural observation was in the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky, en route home: I saw the sinkhole that swallowed eight precious, one-of-a-kind Corvettes! Alas, visitors were kept well back, and I could only see the Corvettes in the hole on a video monitor. But it was still a most remarkable sight.

Five of the eight cars are out now, and the museum's website is running fascinating streaming video of the procedures to retrieve the cars and shore up the Skydome, beneath which the sinkhole suddenly became apparent. There are also lots of amazing museum videos on YouTube.

The sinkhole is now estimated to be 40 feet across - and about 60 feet deep, double the original estimation. Once the cars are all out and the dirt and rocks and other debris removed, it will be stabilized, explored, and documented - there are known to be at least two cave passages leading out from the sinkhole itself.

See my related posts in the Automotive forum, and if you are anywhere near Bowling Green, Ky, be sure to check out this incredible sight.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 PM

515 posts, read 774,346 times
Today, for the 2nd time in as many weeks, I've seen honeybees out and about looking for flowers in bloom. It's still too early for anything to be in bloom here but I guess the bees are just as eager to get through this winter as I am. Old man Winter will surely loose his grip as the daylight hours of March are getting noticeably longer.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Today, for the 2nd time in as many weeks, I've seen honeybees out and about looking for flowers in bloom. It's still too early for anything to be in bloom here but I guess the bees are just as eager to get through this winter as I am. Old man Winter will surely loose his grip as the daylight hours of March are getting noticeably longer.
we still have alot of snow up here, and its been exceptionally cold..(where did the global warming go?)

the days are getting longer, we finally have a day above 30 degrees with the sun, so some snow will melt..
its been a tough winter for most of the wildlife with all the ice and deep snow..

I saw an eagle yesterday on the ice....eating some perch the ice fishermen left -for the eagle.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Excellent! Glad to hear it.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
bjh

Ever wonder what happens to a can of soda in the path of a lava stream?

Coke and Lava Nikon D800 and Gopro - YouTube

Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 PM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
This is no biggie for some of you but for me it was a beautiful sight.. GRASS..I saw the first grass on one side of my front yard,among the heaps of snow ...but yet it will be all covered again with the snow we are getting this week..sigh...

Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 AM
bjh

^
Very good.

Some of the trees have begun to bud out. We may be done with cold weather this season.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
This is no biggie for some of you but for me it was a beautiful sight.. GRASS..I saw the first grass on one side of my front yard,among the heaps of snow ...but yet it will be all covered again with the snow we are getting this week..sigh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
Very good.

Some of the trees have begun to bud out. We may be done with cold weather this season.
I'm starting to see weeds growing again in the cracks of the stone walkway at the house. However we've had lots of desert flowers in bloom and buds on trees. I noticed the smell of the citrous blossoms last night while driving home.........

Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,748,237 times
However we have some new flowers in bloom for the past four weeks or so.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 07-24-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature