Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times

Advertisements

Well yesterday I went again Nordic X- country skiing. We saw a woodpecker and many varieties of birds feeding on the bird feeder and DH says he saw deer. I saw 2 rabbits hopping near a pond and when we sat around the campfire birds were nearby to pick up any crumbs.This morning when I took the garbage out I met a raccoon,he just had finished going through the neighbors garbage can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Went out to the truck the other day and a mockingbird was hopping around on the edge of the truck bed cover.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM

Starting last Friday I noticed our birds arriving to still a bitter cold and white spring. I hear them singing and the mourning dove pair is warming up in the sunshine on my outside kitchen window sill. I think they know me,I am the lady who sets them up in spring their birdbath For now they have to be content with the snow bath.After another big snowfall I had the fun to go X-country skiing Saturday a 20 km groomed trail. Every 5 km they had little campfire for skiers to warm up or eat their food. We saw birds,woodpeckers,deer,squirrels. Canadian geese were on the frozen little lake and it was quite noisy,maybe they were arguing It was so nice to ski through the forest and hear the wind howling.Tree tops were moving back and forth and were making odd noises,as if their trunk wanted to snap in pieces. I have no complains about this years winter

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,997,735 times
^^^^ I wish I could have experienced that, Alm. I'd give anything!

Just the usual here lately - hundreds of lizards, plus raccoons and squirrels and cats and birds. The weather's been nice, though...and I will love it if we get the rain today and tonight! Wind, too!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^^ I wish I could have experienced that, Alm. I'd give anything!

Just the usual here lately - hundreds of lizards, plus raccoons and squirrels and cats and birds. The weather's been nice, though...and I will love it if we get the rain today and tonight! Wind, too!

I remember when the kids were small and we visited Florida ,the kids were so excited to see lizards,those little ones. My youngest one found one in the house we rented and when we packed to go back home he had to shoo one little lizard out of the luggage

Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Today I saw from my bedroom window the first signs of green sprouts in my flower garden. Most of my yard is still snow-covered, and we're expecting more snow this weekend (), but at least there's a little indication that spring really will come this year. I can't wait to see my tulips, daffodils, crocus, lilies and hyacinths in bloom!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Starting last Friday I noticed our birds arriving to still a bitter cold and white spring. I hear them singing and the mourning dove pair is warming up in the sunshine on my outside kitchen window sill. I think they know me,I am the lady who sets them up in spring their birdbath For now they have to be content with the snow bath.After another big snowfall I had the fun to go X-country skiing Saturday a 20 km groomed trail. Every 5 km they had little campfire for skiers to warm up or eat their food. We saw birds,woodpeckers,deer,squirrels. Canadian geese were on the frozen little lake and it was quite noisy,maybe they were arguing It was so nice to ski through the forest and hear the wind howling.Tree tops were moving back and forth and were making odd noises,as if their trunk wanted to snap in pieces. I have no complains about this years winter
Sounds like paradise, Almrausch.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 PM

306 posts, read 414,319 times
I got to witness a male Anna's hummingbird put on a courtship flight show in attempt to win over the female in the tree. He would go really high then I would lose him for just a second and then suddenly there he was was right over her and I could hear the squeak or chirp like sound his feathers made as he leveled off right above her! She would chatter away the whole time he did this and they continued on for 5 minutes or so. I so wanted to record it but didn't have my phone or camera and didn't want to miss it and I'm glad I stayed. The first time I have seen this and I found it amazing

Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
last weekend i saw a bat out during the early evening even though there are no bugs out yet, then the next day we had 8 inches of snow. it's really tough on bats when they use up their puny fat storage early on - for nothing - then have to go back to sleep again. often times they don't make it

Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM

49,973 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I saw an anole lizard shed its skin and eat it. It very nicely got between the screen and my dining room window for easy viewing. It took about 20 minutes for him to reach around and yank off a hunk of the skin, which was white and looked like when we peel off sunburned skin, munch it down, and yank off another piece and eat that. It was fun to watch.

I also saw the first hummingbird at our feeder today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature