Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
LOL, thanks, it's beautiful.

Thanks for your response. I think you're right.
Don't feel bad for trying to help. But now you know for next time. Meanwhile, decals on the window to help prevent any other collisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:42 PM

77 posts, read 102,854 times
Well, we had a couple of brief tornadoes out here where I live a couple weeks ago. They're not entirely unusual-- we get one every handful of years or so-- but they're kitten farts compared to what the Midwest gets. Ours are sorta like a 3.5 earthquake... enough to be like "whoa, Nature's fury, dude", but no real damage comes of them.

The California poppies have been fully out for a couple of months now (I might have mentioned that before), but this is their normal time of year to begin emerging. Not a single lupine to be seen, although they usually precede the poppies. Wonder what that means?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Don't feel bad for trying to help. But now you know for next time. Meanwhile, decals on the window to help prevent any other collisions?
Thanks, bjh.

Yes, decals occurred to me. I know it's a common problem, but we've lived here for 16 years and it has never happened before. I'm going to do something, though, because it was awful to witness.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:03 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,523,007 times

Porcupine in an oak tree, Northern Minnesota. (Not my own photo, copied from someone else.)

Trees are taking forever to bud out here, it's making me nervous. Seriously, hardly any buds at all in mid April! Even though we often get snow in May, budding has usually already started by now. This winter was SO cold, maybe everything will be very late.

BTW, have you ever smelled a porcupine? They STINK!

Old 04-11-2014, 04:34 PM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Porcupine in an oak tree, Northern Minnesota. (Not my own photo, copied from someone else.)

Trees are taking forever to bud out here, it's making me nervous. Seriously, hardly any buds at all in mid April! Even though we often get snow in May, budding has usually already started by now. This winter was SO cold, maybe everything will be very late.

could be because during breeding season, the male urinates on the female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupines
(I just looked up porkies because I've seen a bunch and never smelled them. Wondered if it was something to do with where they lived.)

Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
bjh

Lots of critters don't smell so good. Nature's first defense.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:38 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:

LOL, no. Thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Lots of critters don't smell so good. Nature's first defense.
Including humans.

We saw a rare sight today. People around here leave food out for homeless cats, so there are raccoons and 'possums, etc., that come around (very late at night). At around 5:00 p.m., in the daylight, I saw what I thought was a recently-homed (by my neighbor) stray cat eating some food put out by the people who live across the street.

I called out to my SO in the other room, "Is that Boots?" And then we both realized that it was a raccoon!! It was so weird to see it in the daytime. Anyway, it was just calmly bathing after eating some food and then it took off.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,523,007 times
Did anyone else go out to see the "blood moon" last night?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM

23,306 posts, read 16,987,140 times
Paddling on the south branch march 10th, I saw an adult and juvenile bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass in a pasture. The birds took off and landed in a tree above me. This is the adult going back to feed.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 PM
bjh

Quote:
Did anyone else go out to see the "blood moon" last night?
Briefly. Howled at it, too. Nice picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature